Coming to London

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
We're spending a couple of days in London on our way back to Canada from Poland at the end of the month. I would love suggestions for shopping or sightseeing, particularly Industrial Revolution wonders and interesting trinkets I won't be able to find back home. Bookstores are also welcome. Thanks for the input!

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
We're spending a couple of days in London on our way back to Canada from Poland at the end of the month. I would love suggestions for shopping or sightseeing, particularly Industrial Revolution wonders and interesting trinkets I won't be able to find back home. Bookstores are also welcome. Thanks for the input!

You could try the science museum in London http://www.sciencemuseum.org.uk/about_us/about_the_museum/science_library.aspx

I remember they've got some amazing machines from the industrial revolution age amongst many other things, and the history museum is nearby too which is also worth a visit

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
The above are good suggestions, don't miss the Natural History Museum if you're in the area.

For interesting trinkets and shopping head to one of the markets. I would recommend going to Borough Market near London bridge (Sat only) and then hopping on the train to Greenwich which is well worth a visit. They have a market Sat and Sun (take the mainline train from platform 1 or 5 at London Bridge).

Alternatively you can walk along the South Bank from London Bridge and take in the Oxo tower, Tate Modern and have a nice lunch at Gabriel's Wharf, or outside the National Theatre before jumping on the tube at Waterloo. (There's a huge book market under Waterloo Bridge (mostly crap, but you never know what you'll find)

DO NOT go to Oxford St., Bond St, Knightsbridge, King's Rd., Leicester Square and consider skipping Covent Garden too. If you're on this site, they will probably be your idea of hell. That's if the whole of central London isn't already. ;)

flaky

Nov 24, 2005
sussex
Hello Voivode

There are lots of book-shops inTotenham court road ( Leister Square end), also just around the corner is Covent Garden which has an antique market on some days and lots of outdoor shops ( Field and trek, Ellis Bringham, Rohan, North Face, Snow & Rock and more).
You may want to visit the Natural History Museum :) , Vic & Albert Musuem, Maritime Museum (Greenwich), Army Musuem and the London Aquarium and London Dungeons.

I hope this helps.

Flaky

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Flaky's right. Where Tottenham Court Rd. turns to Charing Cross road is good for bookshops.

However, if you're coming from Canada, don't even think about buying any outdoor gear on Southampton Row (nr. Covent Garden). You could always go along and chuckle at the prices though!:)

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
Thanks for the input everyone! I was planning on hitting the science museum, and I'll definately try to get out to Tottenham/Charing Cross.

I'm not terribly excited about fighting the pressing crowd, so I'm holding my breath that it won't be too bad on a Tuesday/Wednesday...

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
I've been to Waterstones 2 weeks ago, Europe's biggest bookstore (check Lonely Planet) - they have a small section with bushcraft books (categorised under Sports, 3rd floor on the right from the elevator ;)) Though it's on Picadilly / near Picadilly Circus.

Regarding crowds etc. in Regentstreet, Leicester Sq. etc. I can fully confirm that - if you can don't go there in after 4pm as everyone tries to get in the underground. When I was there everyone stood in queue (surprisingly) far up onto the street!! It was hell to get around that mass of people to just walk to our destination (1 station further fortunally).

I can also recommend the Maritime Museum, which I found very interesting (been there on a uni studytrip: Maritime Law), have a look at the 0' line (Greenwich Line). There's also the very first tunnel underneath the Thames - don't know if it's possible to see something of it. You can get there with a tourist sight seeing boat (We embarked near Big Ben / London Eye) - and follow the river Thames towards Towerbridge. If it's nice weather you can even work on your tan :D

I'm feeling very interesting and well travelled ;) since I can talk with you guys about London :D :lmao:

www.waterstones.com

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE