Coleman Tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

lionheart

Mar 27, 2007
bedfordshire
Howdy

My mate was thinking about buying a Coleman Avior X2 here as a small lightweight backpacking tent on a budget, has anyone got experience with this or could advise an alternative (budget of £85),

Cheers
Tom

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
You could take a look at the Aztec Esquina Solo Tent. A couple of mates have those and they seem pretty good. Certainly small, light and strong looking.

Green Dweller Beloved

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 6, 2007
Hampshire
Hi,
Yes, I bought the same tent, but the Avior x3 (3 man tent) as opposed to the x2.

Me and my wife use the tent, so there isn't actually 3 of us, but for the extra space for the extra half a kg in weight is well worth it. The x2 must be real small, although ample for 1 person.

It's an excellent tent. I did a lot of research before buying it and have to say there wasn't much that came close. It has a Hydrostatic Head measruement of 4000. A lot of similar priced tents are only 3000 if that. If you don't know this is a measurement of how waterproof it is. This tent used to be known as an epsilon and before that a Cobra I think so it's in it's third generation now, which means they must sell well and have had lot's of improvements over the years. It even comes with a side door which is unusual and a luminous guy ropes and zips. Brilliant!

The only critisism I would make is that the porch is smallish and you may struggle to store a large rucksack in it. This is however a not a problem if you camp in the wilderness as no one will nick it anyway.

I'd really recommend this tent

Cheers

GDB

Sep 19, 2006
Gloucester
I have the previous generation epsilon 3, as do several of my friends now. brilliant tent, the porch is very small, barely enough room to even crouch in - but then isnt that why we got it... because it's very light weight? I can fit my 100L rucksack in the porch, but then there's no hope of using it as an exit, but I prefer the side door (when it isnt raining!). the integrated ground sheet is very thin, so I always use a much stronger ripstop ground sheet under it just to make sure.

AJB

Native
Oct 2, 2004
Lancashire
Hi,

I’ve had a Cobra three man for a few years, although I haven’t used it much. But, for the money, I was very impressed.

I too thought the ground sheet was a bit susceptible to stones (but that was in part from the experience of a campsite [car park] in the lakes that punctured the sheet of my Coleman Bispace, and not from problems with this tent) so I cut a footprint out of a B&Q tarpaulin (which also gave me a ground sheet for the two porches on this version).

AJB

Womble

Native
Sep 22, 2003
Aldershot, Hampshire, UK
Green Dweller Beloved said:
Hi,
Yes, I bought the same tent, but the Avior x3 (3 man tent) as opposed to the x2.

Me and my wife use the tent, so there isn't actually 3 of us, but for the extra space for the extra half a kg in weight is well worth it. The x2 must be real small, although ample for 1 person.

It's an excellent tent. I did a lot of research before buying it and have to say there wasn't much that came close. It has a Hydrostatic Head measruement of 4000. A lot of similar priced tents are only 3000 if that. If you don't know this is a measurement of how waterproof it is. This tent used to be known as an epsilon and before that a Cobra I think so it's in it's third generation now, which means they must sell well and have had lot's of improvements over the years. It even comes with a side door which is unusual and a luminous guy ropes and zips. Brilliant!

The only critisism I would make is that the porch is smallish and you may struggle to store a large rucksack in it. This is however a not a problem if you camp in the wilderness as no one will nick it anyway.

I'd really recommend this tent

Cheers

GDB

I've recently bought an x2 and am very pleased with it. Although it is not big enough for 2 (usual 2-man guff...) it is easily big enough for 1 and has a very nice bunch of features. The Porch is easily big enough for a 75 litre rocket pack with space to spare. I was using it over the weekend and had no complaints at all.

If there is one small issue, the gap between the outer and inner at the top is quite small; you really do need to peg out the guylines to maximise the air space.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE