CMEs, Carrington events, and the need for scientific approach...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
I was reading the "locked" thread about the possibility of a CME causing widespread collapse on earth.

I totally understand why the moderators choose to cloase such thread, as the relevance for bushcraft is rather low.

However, as a teacher, I weekly sees the results of teenagers who have read some wild pseudo-scientific predictions on the internet, and have become rather scared. And I do not like children being scared. Especially for totally unnecessary things.

On this basis, I found it appropriate to actually explain - with verifiable and rational arguments - why the "collapse" predicted in the forementioned thread is a quite wrongful conclusion.

In 1859 the world expirienced a Carrington Event. The only such event recorded in the time of written history. It was caused by a magnetic disturbance on the surface of the sun (called a sunspot), which, on its collapse, created a quite large explosion. This explosion threw large amount of charged particles in the direction of earth. The Van Allen belt - the Earths magnetic field - does a great job of deflecting such charged particle radiation, so no humans were harmed, but observant individuals were threated to a splendid display of auroras. However, humans were beginning to string telegraph wires between cities and countries, and some of these wires were damaged. As Orsted proved - moving a electrical conductor in a magnetic field creates electricity - possibily much more electricity than the circuit were designed for.

So the theory goes that with the amount of electric distribution wires and electric circuits were have in our normal western society such an event would bring the western society to a standstill.

People making such assumptions actually forgets that we have a formidable technological advantage in comparison to the people in 1859.

We will KNOW if the threat of such an event is imminent. The sun is CONSTANTLY being monitored. All sunspots are catalogized and even small changes monitored. Such data are furthermore available to the general public, and are of course of great value for satellite operators.

And please remember, the sun is some 1,39 million km wide. And we are some 150 million km from the sun. In comparison the earth is only 12750km wide. The chance of a large CME actually hitting earth is therefore exceedingly low.

Even IF a larce CME would be wandering our way we would know in advance. The SOHO observatory is actually located in the Lagrange Point (the point were the Suns and the Earths gravitational fields cancels each out out), and provides continuous surveillance of the Suns Surface. The SOHO was launched in 1995 and is itself a prime example of how human ingenuity always will prevail even faced with extreme difficulties.
SOHO is nearing the end of its useful life, but there are other more modern and advanced sun-monitoring satellites to take over.

(Read more about SOHO:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solar_and_Heliospheric_Observatory)

(Read more about CME's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronal_mass_ejection)

Modern electricity distribution net are actually quite well monitored, and given a warning from the scientific community the operators of the electricity distribution network would just bypass the stretches of wires which would be developing stray currents. The currents would not damage the wires (as the are constructed for such purposes), and denying the stray currents access to the transformer stations could be done electronically. Most of the distribution network is actually built with triple redundancy.

And much have been learnt since the Quebec event in 1989 where a large transformer actually melted due to such stray currents following a large magnetic field disturbance

The design and construction of electrical transmission infrastructure is actually a quite well-established and continouosly researched science. For a short introduction read the wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_power_transmission

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration provides and excellent page with continuous updates regarding the satellite environment and the possibility of solar eruptions and auroras. The data and imagery can be viewed at:
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/

http://www.spaceweather.com/ is another exellent page for such subjects. This is a quasi-commercial page, with greater focus on easily understandable graphics and related science news.

For actually determining the amount of energy input in the magnetic field (and the resulting aurora) the following page can be of interest:
http://www.spacew.com/www/aurora.php

The only real threat from a Carrington-event would be the damage the stream of charged particles could do to the satellites orbiting earth. Satellites are costly to replace - which explains some of the interest from the scientific community in researching and predicting such events.

The original report from R.C. Carrington is actually online: http://adsbit.harvard.edu/cgi-bin/nph-iarticle_query?bibcode=1859MNRAS..20...13C

And NASA has recently undertaken a major study of the impact of Carrington-events on space exploration. The summary of the study can be read at:
http://www.nap.edu/nap-cgi/report.cgi?record_id=11760&type=pdfxsum

As a final thought, I would politely request that the fact that many children and teenagers read a lot of the material presented on the internet without the scientific background to question the conclusions is taken into account when posting material on family-oriented sites.

My sincere apologies to the moderation team, if the above is considered rude in regard to the locking of the original thread, however I find the reasons described above quite compelling.

//Kim Horsevad

Reactions: Wayland

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
I'm shocked that you come on here with your well researched sensible stuff! How dare you! I've looked carefully and there's no mention of zombies either what are you doing putting things like that online, children or impressionable people could read it and end up educated.
Yours Easily irritated of berkshire. :goodnight:

Reactions: Wayland

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
So, if a very large CME was seen to be heading towards earth, we'd electively shut down our electricity distribution grids?

Settler
Aug 8, 2010
here
so its safe to come out?

Couch-Cushion-Fort-23-thumb-400x267-10094.jpg

horsevad

Tenderfoot
Oct 22, 2009
Denmark
So, if a very large CME was seen to be heading towards earth, we'd electively shut down our electricity distribution grids?

It was DEFINATELY not my intention to start a new discussion.

But, since you ask, most substations are coupled in what is normally referred to as a "H"-redundancy (which may have another designation in your country - english is not my native langugage), where each substation can be provided with electricity from at least 3 or 4 different transmission lines. The transmission is CONTINUOUSLY being routed trough these redundant network; mostly without customers ever noticing. Shutting down some of these lines can be done without any customers actually experiencing either brownout or blackout.

//Kim Horsevad

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
Thank you for an informative post and putting things into perspective.
Good to know RM or BG will still be on the TV when I get in home from the woods
:camping:

Zingmo

Eardstapa
Jan 4, 2010
S. Staffs
:35:

So I don't have to line my Tilley with tin-foil?

(Zombies are still a threat, making it necessary to own a suitable tool for dealing with them.)

:p

Z

reddave

Life Member
Mar 15, 2006
stalybridge
SuspiciousObservers.org
Giving you, not only the information 'established science' doesn't want you to know, but also the information they haven't contemplated, and factored into their theories, yet.
Just saying.
And as this is a zombie thread, according to European Space Agency, earths gravitational field has decreased by another 5% since Zingmo's post.
'The science' is never settled because it adjusts its stance as it learns more.
Just like opinions should be

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE