Clitocybe? Any ideas?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
I found this growing near my workplace. It smells quite strong - kind of sweet...ish like sweet soil. It's got a grey cap and the stem is white/cream, so I don't know why the photos look slightly red, as it isn't. I've tried to lessen the red in the second two. It was growing in a little group of similar amongst the pine needles near a pond. I checked Roger's, and the closest pic I can find is the Clouded Agaric - can anyone confirm?

mushcap.jpg

mushside.jpg

mushcut.jpg

Moonraker

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 20, 2004
Dorset & France
Cyclingrelf, my money would be more on Clubfoot (Clitocybe clavipes) given the basal swelling on the stem, deep decurrent gills and the sickly sweet smell. It is a tough genus to ident often and clipper could also be right too but whilst the Common Funnel Cap is edible (but not overly great I heard) Clubfoot is not recommended especially with alcohol (head aches and transient rash according to Phillips)

Cyclingrelf

Mod
Mod
Jul 15, 2005
Penzance, Cornwall
Thanks guys! In that case, I'll leave eating it to a braver soul.

:)

I've still got Shaggy Ink Caps coming up at the moment, so am happily chomping on them instead.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE