Clematis for hand drill hearth - dead or alive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

palmnut

Forager
Aug 1, 2006
N51° W002°
A sister thread for my Elder for hand-drill thread.

Been looking around for clematis for the hearth. The only stuff I can find dead-standing is pretty degraded, at least on the outside. Is this what is needed, or would I be better harvesting living wood, cutting it down to heath size and letting it dry for a few months?

Peter

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Dead standing is fine, as long as it's not gone punky it works, you are looking for stuff that looks like this when the bark has been removed

DSCF4620a.jpg

This is what the above looks like now it's been pared down into boards.

handdrillsets.jpg

Dont throw the bark away, it makes a first class tinder or can be made into a really good cordage

Hope this helps?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
But will cut live then seasoned work too, or does it need to be a little spalted to work?

Peter

Live cut and dried would work, but ive always figured the plant has taken so many years to grow that big and climb up, that it seems a crying shame to cut it down for the sake of a few boards, especially, if like it is here, when there is normally so much dead stuff around.

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Kepis, can I ask what you are using for the hand drill spindle, as I am after some to practice with. I did a session at the moot where I got lots of useful information so am keen to give it a go but am stuck for hand drill material. They mentioend teal I think but I cant remember the others. Thanks

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Kepis, can I ask what you are using for the hand drill spindle, as I am after some to practice with. I did a session at the moot where I got lots of useful information so am keen to give it a go but am stuck for hand drill material. They mentioend teal I think but I cant remember the others. Thanks

I use Elder stems and Mullein, although i use Elder more than i use Mullein do to it availability around here, ive used Teasel in the past as well

I'll bring a couple of sets along to the meet on the 8th, so people can have a go,

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
I have found good hand drills from - elder, mullein, teasel, buddlea.

Others to consider are philadelphus, burdock, rambling rose (some), blackcurrent,

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE