Cleaning Tea Cups/Pots

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

shadow57

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 28, 2005
Glossop, Derbyshire
Here is a great tip for cleaning stained tea cups/mugs/pots/spoons.

When I was playing with enzymes at uni years ago.. I thought to myself looking at a heavily stained tea pot....how to clean this gunk off :rolleyes:

Now the brown stuff on the pot is Tannin which is a Protein.

I was doing some work with the some proteins...and then it clicked ....... :) That if you fill a tea pot with hot water and add some protein enzymes. The enzyme will breakdown the Tannin.

I tried this on my land ladies teapot with a teaspoonfull of enzymes...Half hour later I poured out the water :eek: :eek: :eek: and to my amazment out fell one solid shaped teapot made of something like thick varnish :D :D :D and the teapot was spotless :D :D :D

Guess where the secret supply of enzymes came from :rolleyes:

No....not the little packets of magic powder for £5 that was designed to do the job :rolleyes: in certain catalogues

But 1 teaspoonful of the cheapest biological soap powder you can find...mines was from the co-op

WARNING rinse out your cup or pot at least 6 times as the enzymes will dissolve your skin, throat, lips etc :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
my missus taught me that. She uses it to clean out stained tea cups and wotnot (we're "antique" dealers and buy lots of stained crockery). Dunno where she learnt it from tho, some book on household tips or other I guess.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
The "How clean is your house" ladies recommend biological washing powder for a multitude of things - they've used them on burnt on pans as well before. I've used denture tablets on tea cups and tea spoons to good effect too.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I use the biological liquid to clean the bath, the shower, the sinks, the loos and the kitchen floor :rolleyes: I would never have thought of trying it on the tea pot!
Cheers,
Toddy

Infragreen

Tenderfoot
Jan 9, 2006
Denmark
Just chuck some salt (tablespoon) in the pot/cup along with a little water.

Sloshing and light rubbing is all that's needed to remove the brown stuff.

Simple.

But you "unseason" the pot that way.

I thought we were tough outdoors people? ;) Washing up?? :yikes: Whats up with a dirty stained cup and spoon. You need a few germs to get an immunity. Take 3 parts river or lake water and a handfull of fine gravel, stick finger in cup, wipe gravel and water mix around the inside of the cup, rinse (check for any gold deposits) and let dry in open air. :D
Put kettle on, make a brew and watch the world go by. :approve:
Kindest regards.
Johnny F

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE