Civet Cat

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This poor little fellow made the mistake of coming into our back garden and ran into Scrub our dog who is very territorial.

DSCN1810.jpg

DSCN1811.jpg

Scrub has kept us safe from a range of ‘threats’ – from long tailed macaques and 2m water monitors to coral snakes and construction crews (no injuries with the last group thankfully)

DogonLog.jpg

If the little fellow had survived I suppose I could have fed him coffee beans and had a profitable business with the product

BOD

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
It is not a mongoose - ears pointed not rounded and the snout shape is different.
Some Indo -Malayan people call it a musang but that's definately not a
mongoose.
I am pretty sure its a Civet or civet relative. My mammal ID book has been packed and I can't find out the specific species.

Lacking any skinning skills It never entered my head to keep the pelt.

I gave it to the Thai construction crew next door (always harrassed by Scrub) who cooked and ate it.

I should have asked to come over for dinner and added to my repetoire of gastronomic experience :banghead:

Still haven't tried kopi luak too.

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I love Asia. The craziest things are mundane there. A mammal that you can't even identify shows up in your garden! Sheer class.

Once in China I saw a wild mantis about 3 inches long. Only once, mind. It was on my balcony, five floors up. Lord knows how it got there.

Oh, and your dog looks wonderful.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
philaw said:
Once in China I saw a wild mantis about 3 inches long. Only once, mind. It was on my balcony, five floors up. Lord knows how it got there.

It no doubt flew up there, attracted by the lights; they fly very well considering their odd shape

This one (4-5 inches head to wing tip) flew into me attracted by my headlamp; note the wing cases which look like leaves, wonderful camouflage:

mantis.jpg

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
philaw said:
I love Asia. The craziest things are mundane there. A mammal that you can't even identify shows up in your garden! Sheer class.

Very true. Once discovered a black scorpion in my trainers when I was in thailand. And yes, it was before I put it on :D

Bushwacker

Feb 21, 2006
Basildon Essex
I`m a little confused over this idea of getting coffee from a cats bum. Can someone enlighten me on this? I`ve eaten and drank things that would make most people whince, but I fail to understand how you`d get coffee from this animals butt. Is there a slot somewhere you put money in as well?

Spikey DaPikey

Feb 8, 2006
North West, near the land of the Pies
Bushwacker said:
I`m a little confused over this idea of getting coffee from a cats bum. Can someone enlighten me on this? I`ve eaten and drank things that would make most people whince, but I fail to understand how you`d get coffee from this animals butt. Is there a slot somewhere you put money in as well?

http://www.firebox.com/index.html?dir=firebox&action=product&pid=1077

You see the primary reason for Civet Coffee's distinctive taste is that it's been partially fermented by passing through the digestive system of a Sumatran Civet Cat. No, really!

Civet Coffee (Kopi Luwak)
Basically this feral feline prowls Sumatran coffee plantations at night, choosing to eat only the finest, ripest cherries. The stones (which eventually form coffee beans) are then collected by sifting through the Civet's number twos.

Revered for its luscious chocolatey flavour Civet Coffee is totally safe, totally sterilised and totally delicious. Plus there's no discernable aftertaste.

Native Sumatrans consider this to be the finest coffee in the world, and it really is the ultimate brew to serve to all those annoying Johnny-come-lately coffee shop connoisseurs. Of course, telling them where it comes from is completely optional. Put the kettle on!

philaw

Settler
Nov 27, 2004
Hull, East Yorkshire, UK.
I didn't know that they could fly, and didn't really think about it at the time, because I was too engrossed in staring at it. It didn't do much except try, weakly, to camouflage itself against beige floor tiles by standing still, but it was still amazing to watch.

Thankfully the only fun-in with a scorpion I had was the little ones on skewers, deep fried. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE