Christmas/New Years Meet at Swyns 5 & 6 Jan 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
If you're gonna do it, you'll need a lot of cord... perhaps 4-5 meters per shoe :eek:
(well there is a lot of tying to be done!)

Ahead of you there I have 80m of that green sisal type gardening twine. The stuff degrades nicely but should be plenty strong for the purpose.
Also got my shiny new laplander & GB SFA

See you there

Nick

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
This is to all who came either to demonstrate, help, watch or just simply enjoy. THANKS to all of you for making this a really super weekend!

Swyn.:D

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Thanks to Swyn and all the other Bucks lads,you know who you are,for another top weekend.Great to catch up with you all again and to see new faces.
Andy.:You_Rock_

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
Yep. Thanks for hosting it Swyn and thanks for everyone who taught sessions. Great stuff,
cheers all.

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Cheers for all the hard work Swyn
Cheers also to everyone that did the workshops et al

Was nice to meet more people and learn more skills, looking forward to the next one!

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Thanks to everyone there but, for myself, particular thanks to:

• Silverback for the excellent workshop on rabbit prep, and the Muntjac hide (which is now in the freezer while I research how to prepare it).
  • Swyn for organising and letting us use the site and an interesting, if rather sad, talk about the English timber industry.
  • Rod for the bow-saw workshop (project for the evenings this week is to finish it). Also for the tracking workshop.
  • Bootstrap Bob (and Lady BB) for their company and the help with bow-drill.
  • BobStevenson - another first timer and company round the breakfast fire on Sunday morning.
  • Lupus for his useful advice on safe axe usage and fire laying.
  • Deborah (I think?) for letting me see and feel what a good knife handle is like.
  • The Mystery Person who cleared up my fire for me. I came back off the tracking workshop to clear up the fire, but it was already done and my folding stool was in the barn! If I find out who it was, I'll bring you something next time we meet.
I'm sure you are going to be seeing more of me at the Bucks and Reading meets.

Geoff :)

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Swyn, Jason and everyone else that helped put the weekend together :You_Rock_ . I had a great time and I thoroughly enjoyed just meeting and chatting with people.

Jason, Thank you for that trick with the lanyard hole :D That is genuinely cool...not that it would necessarily be good if your knife had been out in the deep cold:eek: :lmao:

Geoff,
That mystery person would have been me :eek: I wasn't sure if that little stool had been forgotten, it wouldn't have been the first time someone left something like that behind at a meet. I am glad that you found it alright!

Does anyone know what young George's handle is on here? I wanted to send him a couple of links, but forgot to get his email or forum name :11doh:

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Nice to put a few faces to names - I was unfortunately not firing on all cylinders due to a chest infection and apologies if my coughing kept you awake at night :rolleyes: however it was enjoyable as ever and the highlight for me personally was getting to grips with the hand drill (thanks Rich59 ;) ). I was also really chuffed to see Shep succeed with the bowdrill which he beavered away with when others would have long given up - well done to you mate and nice to have met you :)

I am going to be working hard this year to establish a camp kitchen so we can provide an evening meal at our Bucks meets for all atttendees so if you feel like dropping in on one or two or indeed all of our meets this is something we hope to be able to offer in the near future :)

I am cooking jugged hare tomorrow night (have had one hanging in the chiller with a nose cone for collecting the blood for eight days which will be gutted and jointed tonight) if it's a success I will be serving this up at a future Bucks meet :naughty:

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Geoff,
That mystery person would have been me :eek: I wasn't sure if that little stool had been forgotten, it wouldn't have been the first time someone left something like that behind at a meet. I am glad that you found it alright!

Thanks very much I'll look out for you if you get to the Bucks /Reading meets (names and faces fail me nowadays, were you under the tarp next to me - the one with the SA trangia?) and see if I can perform a menial task for you or bring you a little present.

Geoff

Rod

On a new journey
Cheers to all who attended. Good to see many old mates and to meet some new faces too!

I have picked up a couple of items of kit that were left behind. Please PM me if this includes you with what you have lost and a description and I will get it returned to you.

till next time...

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
Some piccys from the meet.

Accommodation for Bootstrap Bob, Lupus and dgcalvert (I think), with Swyn's collection in the background.
bucks_01.jpg

C_Claybomb's tarp (I think).
bucks_02.jpg

Skinning the Muntjac.
bucks_03.jpg

The pit.
bucks_04.jpg

Opening the pit.
bucks_07.jpg

The open pit...
bucks_09.jpg

...and its contents.
bucks_10.jpg

Breakfast on Sunday.
bucks_11.jpg

The shelter, outside...
bucks_13.jpg

...and inside.
bucks_14.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE