Christmas/New Years Meet at Swyns 5 & 6 Jan 2008

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Just had a quick look through the thread and it looks like the following list of people are planning to be there. Perhaps if we cut and past the list and add yourself to the bottom it will help Swyn keep track?
A few still need to confirm.

List so far:

Jason Sears
Richie O ?
3Please x2
dgcalvert
AndyW x2
Bootstrap Bob
Aaron
Rod
Silverback x3 ?
benp1
The Joker
lupus
sandsnakes
Pitkin
rich59 ?

Richie O

Jan 10, 2007
Harold Wood, Essex
List so far:

Jason Sears
Richie O (with +2 maybe)
3Please x2
dgcalvert
AndyW x2
Bootstrap Bob
Aaron
Rod
Silverback x3 ?
benp1
The Joker
lupus
sandsnakes
Pitkin
rich59 ?

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I notice Rod has set up a spin off thread for his Bow saw workshop. I am thinking this might be a good idea for the rabbit prep so I can get a good feel for the number of bunnies I need to get hold off prior to the meet - would this suit everyone else? (I am conscious of the fact that there will be a few threads relating to the same meet) I am also hoping to do a single deer skinning and jointing demo but cannot confirm this until a few days before the meet, as I need to shoot the wee beastie first :D

Regards

Dave

litefoot

Forager
Jan 8, 2007
northamptonshire
Count me in.

Litefoot.
Jason Sears
Richie O (with +2 maybe)
3Please x2
dgcalvert
AndyW x2
Bootstrap Bob
Aaron
Rod
Silverback x3 ?
benp1
The Joker
lupus
sandsnakes
Pitkin
rich59 ?

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Here is a rough of the proposed itinerary for the two days.

We aim to start both of the days at 10.00 hrs with a meeting in the barn to go through the required safety issues and the proposed workshops along with where they will be held and when. (the weather may mean we are under cover for some of the day)

SATURDAY
10.00 Start. Welcome. Safety talk. First aid pointers and related items.
10.30 Rabbit prep workshop followed by Deer prep demo
11.00 Pheasant prep demo
11.30 Bow-saw workshop.
11.30 Childrens workshops (whimididdles, simple fire lighting)
11.30 Bow drill and other fire lighting methods. I would like to combine this with the pit excavation and the lighting of this fire too. We may have to start this earlier though.
12.00 Knife sharpening workshop and axe safety demo.
12.30 Shelter building and related items (cordage, woodland debris gathering etc)
13.30 LUNCH
15.00 Woodland walk
16.00 Plank chair demo (for the wind down time!)
16.00 Wind down period and set up lecture area for the evening. Tend pit roast. start getting supper ready, etc,etc.
19.00 SUPPER.
20.00 Short talk by George on his trip to Canada followed by a short talk on the Norway trip just completed by other members.

SUNDAY
10.00 Start. Any ideas for the remainder of the week end.
10.30 Bow making demo
10.30 Bow-saw making/ finishing off and discussions
10.30 Childrens spoon making workshop
11.30 Tracking workshop/demo
12.30 Drinking water workshop. We will make a cuppa from pond water using a Millbank bag.
13.30 LUNCH

14.30 Knots in use (a range of knots that are useful in camp and everyday)
14.30 Other activities not covered but can be.

Any comments welcome. At present this timetable is very flexible so please let me know what needs altering.

30 people have signed up so far out of our maximum comfortable amount of 60.

Swyn.

Pitkin

Life Member
Jul 26, 2007
Buckinghamshire
Cheers Pitkin, I was thinking about cutting the board into suitable lengths before I came (just tell me how long) and then setting to it bushcrafty style with an axe. What power tools were you thinking of using :confused:

Power Axe, Power knife, Power hand chisel, Power hand orgre and Power sand paper. Demo doesn't look as though its been included in the itinery so if you like i can show you round the fire bushcrafty style but it may take most of the day by hand bring two pieces of wood one three foot long and one four foot long scaffold board dimentions

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
Plank chair. OOOPS!:eek: 5ORRY

It's in now!!!! (it was not on my original crib list... it is now )

Is it in the right time and place?

Any other sugestions or alterations please as none of this is set in stone.

Swyn.

Bootstrap Bob

Jun 21, 2006
Oxfordshire
Power Axe, Power knife, Power hand chisel, Power hand orgre and Power sand paper. Bring two pieces of wood one three foot long and one four foot long scaffold board dimentions

Cheers Pitkin, I may need to bring a power plane too, my boards are a bit rough looking :lmao:

benp1

Nomad
Nov 30, 2006
London
Thanks for setting this up Swyn (and others) - looks like a full schedule!

I have a question for you Swyn

Pablo

Settler
Oct 10, 2005
Essex, UK
www.woodlife.co.uk
Ooops. A bit late on this thread. Please count me and PaulW in. I can help Rod with the tracking workshop as at the summer moot if he lets me (Rod?).

Also an idea... how about a swop shop for excess kit?

Talking of bagpipes.. I know Rich59 is into traditional instruments. Can anyone else bring any instruments along? Can I suggest you bring ear defenders? I might try out my new music making stick out on ya'll!! :p

Pablo
PaulW
Litefoot.
Jason Sears
Richie O (with +2 maybe)
3Please x2
dgcalvert
AndyW x2
Bootstrap Bob
Aaron
Rod (+2 maybe. Will pay on door Swyn)
Silverback x3 ?
benp1
The Joker
lupus
sandsnakes
Pitkin
rich59 ?

Cheers

Pablo.

rich59

Maker
Aug 28, 2005
London
Talking of bagpipes.. I know Rich59 is into traditional instruments. Can anyone else bring any instruments along? Can I suggest you bring ear defenders? I might try out my new music making stick out on ya'll!! :p
I'd like to clarify that I can't play the bagpipes!! :) . My loudest instrument is my voice but I don't know hardly any songs and you might not want to hear me trying any anyway. My panpipes play only in one key and I'm not very good at them.........

However, we could make an amazing set of percussion sounds with a combination of natural materials and bushcraft equipment. We could have a bit of a jam that everyone could join in on.

And, if anyone knows a source of music for solo voice traditional, country, folk, old English music/ songs then I would be interested to amuse myself with them and maybe others if I can work it out.

Gwhtbushcraft

Settler
Nov 16, 2006
Warwickshire
Pablo
PaulW
Litefoot.
Jason Sears
Richie O (with +2 maybe)
3Please x2
dgcalvert
AndyW x2
Bootstrap Bob
Aaron
Rod (+2 maybe. Will pay on door Swyn)
Silverback x3 ?
benp1
The Joker
lupus
sandsnakes
Pitkin
rich59 ?
Gwhtbushcraft x2

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE