Christmas lights=ecological vandalism.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
Well, I'm not a complete grump!

It's just hard to put up with the EXCESS of some people and their Christmas displays and fanatical eco-crusading. Christmas could use a lot more faith/spirit, and the eco-greeners could use a whole lot less "blind faith".

I do have one strand of "lights" that I do turn on for a few hours for 2 or 3 days. I strung them up on a wire frame in the shape of the Viking rune of LIFE. The few people that see it and comment about it try to point out that my "hippy peace symbol" is upside down! I politely inform them that the "hippy peace symbol" is actually the Viking rune of DEATH, and I prefer a symbol of LIFE.

On Christmas Eve, I also hang a candle lantern in the window. Simple, basic, and traditional. (Save the rant about BURNING a candle - adding carbon gasses into the atmosphere - and exploiting those poor helpless creatures called bees - just for their wax to make candles to burn) ... yeah, another long discussion I had with one of those eco-jihadi's!

But it is time to go out and get a ... shrubbery ... (nih nih nih ... nuu) and bring it into the home. I go out and trim a few branches from one of the pine trees, tie them up into a simple bundle, and have my little natural display for a few days.

Now to go listen to the record player, or a casette or two. The local radio stations have shifted from every 2nd or 3rd song being a Christmas song - to every 4th or 5th song NOT being a Christmas song. And they will keep it up till after New Years Day! After hearing some pop (c)rap star sing his weird interpretation of White Christmas for the 10th time in one hour, it changes from being slightly amusing to utter disgust.

And it's STILL SNOWING! Added 4 inches over night, and more coming now. Altho, this could just be the snow BLOWING off of the tops of the hills around here and settling down here in the valley!

Time to go build snow forts!

Merry Christmas to all ... no matter how you personally celibrate it!

Mikey - that grumpy ol' blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
of course if the lights are really bad The Clean Neighborhoods and Environments Act 2005 section 102 now amends Environmental Protection Act 1990 section 79 to include artificial light in the Statutory nuisances.

Eds - still at work in Environmental Health, bah humbug

Matt Weir

Jun 22, 2006
Tyldesley, Lancashire.
We have a tree with baubles and lights but no 'decorations' are up apart from a wreath I have hung on the gate outside.

However, I love to have a few candles lit of an evening.

P

PIDDOCK

Get the Hindu's to stop their fireworks for Duvali. And the Muslims to stop the same for Eaid (sp?) or any of the other religious/religions who leave a carbon footprint to stop their festivals and celebrations then maybe we christians should be asked to stop with the christmas lights.

Christmas lights are just the tip of the iceberg imo its all just another watering down of our traditions. Let people celebrate how they see fit, who are you or anybody else to decide whats taste and what isnt. I feel some snobbery coming through here or at least self-righteous better than thouisms.

Truely in the christmas spirit.

gorilla

Settler
Jun 8, 2007
merseyside, england
Oh by the way..

Animated_juleblot.gif

God Jul

see - now i like that!
anyway i could set that as wallpaper?

Kepis

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
I dont have leccy Xmas lights, instead i collect a load of glow worms and paint them different colours with ocre etc, then i carefully thread them onto some nettle cordage and hang them up around the place - looks lovely:rolleyes: , after Xmas i give the worms a bath to get them back to normal and return them to where i found them.:nana:

Have a good un everyone, and remember Peace & Goodwill to All Men

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Ashamedly I feel I should let you see my house this year, you`ll understand why I`ve not posted on this thread previously then.

329198444_7cb7befa91_b.jpg

only joking ...

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Oi! It's you :eek: You live up the street, don't you? :rolleyes:

Actually on a curious note; how on Earth does one wire up that lot? I struggled to get eight strands through the apple tree.

cheers,
Toddy

gregorach

Sep 15, 2005
Edinburgh
Like most things, they're OK in moderation - but I find this whole business of spending hundreds of pounds and burning lord-knows-how-many kilowatt-hours to turn your house into a down-market version of Blackpool Illuminations frankly bizarre, and in very poor taste. Surely we can enjoy the festive season without getting into some kind of illuminations arms race?

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
I wonder when we'll see a big change over to LED lights. I've seen a couple of sets but not too many yet.

I wonder if the manufacturers/retailers will like them as they last so well that the only reason to replace would be if you can't be bothered to untangle them. Just imagine - no more blown lights and struggling to find which has gone.

That and they use less power.

Stew

Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Actually, that reminds me - Halogen spot lights! They annoy me more than Christmas lights.

I've recently switched my kitchen light from halogen spots to LED spots. The halogen bulbs are 50w and the LED are 1.6w. That's a reduction in power use by 96.8%!!

Now, at work we have hundreds of the things. In a few areas, the 50w halogens have been changed for 30w versions but it could still be better.

Does anyone have to hand actual rough cost of use?

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
I dont have leccy Xmas lights, instead i collect a load of glow worms and paint them different colours with ocre etc, then i carefully thread them onto some nettle cordage and hang them up around the place - looks lovely:rolleyes: , after Xmas i give the worms a bath to get them back to normal and return them to where i found them.:nana:

Have a good un everyone, and remember Peace & Goodwill to All Men

Excellent Maver...:lmao: :lmao:
You weren't taking the p...... now, were you.....:eek:

waylander

May 9, 2006
Co.Durham - Consett
I love seeing all the xmas lights up it makes it feel real to me and not just another day, its part of the atmosphere. Personally I'm not into the reigious side of it because im not a great fan of religions in general, to me its about being with friends and family and having a good time together and to me lots fo festive lights are part of that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE