Chestnuts Almost As Big As Apples

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Well almost as big as the small crab apples in middle of photo anyway :lmao: still good sized chestnuts though, perhaps the 50p in photo added for scale is a better indication of size. Had a good bagful today off a tree dripping with them, there’s six pounds in that basket. (sorry for poor photo I am rubbish with a camera).

chestnuts1028-1.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
I've had the best chestnuts for many years down here, about the same size as those you show and really fine quality nuts..................If there's anybody out there who can't get them, let me know and I'd be happy to send some off :)

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
You're a very lucky man :D
It's put me in the notion for some too.

Bon appetite :)

M
Yeah thanks, I’ll be up all night eating them over the fire now :campfire: ATB.

Whoa here big'uns! Rare to see sweet chestnut up here but I hope to find one eventually z:).

Plenty here (shrops/worcs), most have very small nuts but I know a few trees that consistently produce big ones. Have a nice evning. :)

I've had the best chestnuts for many years down here, about the same size as those you show and really fine quality nuts..................If there's anybody out there who can't get them, let me know and I'd be happy to send some off :)

You too Macaroon, that’s a very nice offer you’ve made. Don’t forget your gloves like I did, fingers full of them tiny spikey bits now. ATB :)

xylaria

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I shell mine with my feet. I just stand on the sides of the shell and they pop out. I will go out and check my spot. The trees that produced a good harvestlast year are down on the coast. My nearest trees are at 700 feet above sea level and normally make diddly squat chestnuts. If anyone xant find good ones find a warm spot or a lower elevation.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
See those big ones; if they're otherwise healthy, those are the trees that are worth propagating around the place.

Chestnuts are pretty easy to sprout; just cover them up in a deep pile of leaf litter and when you open it up in Spring, they'll have shoots coming out one end and roots the other :)

cheers,
Toddy

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
I shell mine with my feet. I just stand on the sides of the shell and they pop out. I will go out and check my spot. The trees that produced a good harvestlast year are down on the coast. My nearest trees are at 700 feet above sea level and normally make diddly squat chestnuts. If anyone xant find good ones find a warm spot or a lower elevation.

Quick reply between scoffing, yummy :) I gather them up into a pile and then kneel down and whack each of them with a stick to split shell (which does just the same as stamping with heel). Hope your crop is good again :) Incidentally I have noticed there seems to be two types of chestnut, one that grows tall and straight and one that grows squat wide and shorter, I don’t know if this is just due to location (such as thickness of cover determining growth for example) or if they actually are two separate types. ATB.

squishy

Maker Plus
Sep 13, 2011
Doncaster
www.facebook.com
We have no chestnut trees around here but there are loads near my mums in Doncaster. I was there yesterday and picked half a carrier bag full in no time at all, and all good sized ones. Makes a nice change, the last few years haven't been that good at all. I will definitely be going back for more!

Rachael x

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia

I can get a few but no big fat ones - and my own aren't big enough to fruit yet :(

If you wouldn't mind gathering me a few really big ones, I'd love to try growing a few more chestnut trees - we have our first Ash die back here and I am propagating interesting trees ready for the necessary replacements.

Obviously happy to pay postage and so forth :)

Red

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
BR, you have a pm.

Some of the trees I harvest from are around 40 m tall, the rest probably 20 - 30 m, they are very enclosed and on the side of a very steep and scarred hill; I and a few others have taken some time over many years to ensure that they propagate freely by doing pretty much what Toddy describes above :)

Fraxinus

Settler
Oct 26, 2008
Canterbury
All I can say is

you lucky, lucky, lucky beggars.

We have to buy ours round here and most times 50% of them are mouldy inside.
The best I have had were while taking a barge from Burgundy to Dunkirk roasted on the wood stove in the galley...:sun: when the weather was pants.

Rob.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
They are lovely big haws, all ours are already gone over. A combination of warm and damp followed by a distinctly nippy wind is seeing most things off now; fried green tomatoes for supper tomorrow! :)

Bowlander

Nov 28, 2011
Forest of Bowland
Talking of Haws, I was helping some Scandi folk out with their map yesterday at Grizedale Forest and i got a fit of the giggles when I saw Breasty Haw on their route map!

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
That's a cracking looking crop you have there. Was munching some cobb nuts fried in ghee last night. Very good too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE