Cherry atlatl

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
This is my latest atlatl. It is made of cherry wood finished with linseed oil and beeswax. It is tapered along its length from handle to spur, this avoids carrying too much weight at the fast end while still having a handle large enough for a comfortable grip.

IMG_20130725_141539.jpg

I textured the handle by scoring it with a stiff wire brush. This gives lots of grip.

IMG_20130725_141625.jpg

The spur is the tip of a deer antler tine set into a carved socket and glued in place using epoxy resin mixed with charcoal dust, to resemble pine pitch adhesive.

IMG_20130725_141649.jpg

Jul 26, 2013
London
Ermm. Sorry for not knowing this but what is it used for? Ive heard of them but not sure what it is used as. Maybe a weapon of some sort? Thanks

Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
This is me in action earlier this year:

[video=youtube;-YOHsKyP3YY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-YOHsKyP3YY[/video]

The atlatl (propulseur, speerschleuder, spearthrower, woomera) doubles the speed at which you can throw a spear by doubling the length of your arm. The spear must have enough flexibility to absorb the curve in the path of the tip of the atlatl, like the suspension of a car absorbing a bump in the road. If the spear is too stiff, its tail is thrown off course by the last part of the swing and it will veer off target.

This was used for hunting large and small game all around the world during the paleolithic until the invention of the bow and arrow.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2012
Manchester
You guys look like you have really got the hang of it, well done!

For the record, that dart is 2 metres (6 feet 6 inches) of 12mm dowel (avoid those made from different bits of lumber spliced together, B&Q are notorious for this) with a 1/2" diameter point ( that one was copper but we mostly use these http://www.longbowandarrow.co.uk/12-war-bodkins-550-p.asp ) and full length split turkey feathers bound on with dental floss. This is a very reliable and reproducible design that many throwers in the UK use.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE