Cheers...!?!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
:eek:
BUDAPEST, Hungary - Hungarian builders who drank their way to the bottom of a huge barrel of rum while renovating a house got a nasty surprise when a pickled corpse tumbled out of the empty barrel, a police magazine Web site reported.

According to online magazine www.zsaru.hu, workers in Szeged in the south of Hungary tried to move the barrel after they had drained it, only to find it was surprisingly heavy and were shocked when the body of a naked man fell out.

The Web site said that the body of the man had been shipped back from Jamaica 20 years ago by his wife in the barrel of rum in order to avoid the cost and paperwork of an official return.

According to the Web site, workers said the rum in the 300-liter barrel had a “special taste” so they even decanted a few bottles of the liquor to take home.

The wife has since died and the man was buried in a proper grave.
:rolleyes:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's just gross :yuck: Put me right off my curry :(
Though in the middle ages they used to grind up and eat mummies....y'know the Egyptian type ones...supposed to be as good for you as tiger bones :confused:

Cheers,
Toddy

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
led said:
It's a goodie, but an oldie too ;).

Even older as you english folks should know! :D :D

"Tapping the Admiral"

According to a legend, naval rum rather than brandy was used to preserve his (Admiral Nelson) body in a barrel until it was returned to England. It is claimed that his crew had drunk half of the rum from the barrel by the time they reached London; the crew were supposed to have sucked out the rum using thin straws. However, this legend is unlikely, due to the great respect that the crew had for Nelson, and because his body was guarded night and day by a marine. Nevertheless, this legend has given rise to the slang term "tapping the Admiral", meaning illicit drinking, and may be related to the nickname given to Naval rum rations later, "Nelson's Blood" (although this may possibly be a deliberate echo of the Communion ritual).

Cheers

Abbe

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
Pickling corpses would be a waste of good rum to my way of thinking. Finding one in the barrel after drinking would be a little worrying I suppose, but it didn't seem to have done the guys much harm so why not have a snifter? :D

What import duty laws do the Hungarians have that made shipping a barrel of rum (probably 40% proof minumum) containing a body, so therefore a pretty sizeable barrel, a financially viable alternative to a proper "official" transportation?

Oh for a keg of Appletons Blue Lable Rummmmmm !

As for tiger bones (re Toddy), I reckon the only legitimate use for those is to prevent tigers from being all squishy. :lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE