Cheapest 4x4 on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I like RWD cars too, suits my driving style, and I prefer to oversteer and control it, than understeer and come off.

If you want a small practial RWD maybe consider the BMW E36 compact? Has a hatchback and a short wheelbase. I ran Volvo 360's for many years - medium sized and very cheap RWD car, but they're really showing their age now and fuel consumption is pretty high for your 115bhp, even with all that torque.

I don't think I'd go for a Skyline though, they have a driftastic scene tax on them and there are far more practical AWD's about such as Volvo's and the Mazda 6.

Fizzy

Nomad
Feb 8, 2010
Ash Vale
Good fun, but are there any nice ones still out there? They can be picked up for little money, but look out for worn turbo (smoking at start up and when revved after idling), rust (around the sunroof or after accident damage, usually around the front wings) and a whining diff.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton

jeffz

Forager
Apr 4, 2011
Surrey
Now i'm evenmore lost than i was before since just been offerd an old R33 GTS Skyline which is RWD but 2.5L so will be just a thirty as any 4x4. What i want has to have good road maners since thats where it will spend most of its time and i love rwd cars but only ones i have come across are the BMW 318, Subaru ImprezaGX, Mazda RX-8, Audi quatro and now the Nissan R33 GTS Skyline all of which N/A and expensive to run and repair when they go wrong.

I don’t want anything too big ether since currently drive a Mk1 MR2 but need a 4 seater now.

I'd go for the Impreza GX.

318's dull. RX-8 drinks like a 4-litre with that rotary (brilliant to drive, though - and lovely seats), Audi and Skylines can get expensive to maintain. I currently run an A6 Quattro. Perfectly good, but no character whatsoever. No drama, either, which could be a good thing. Those V6s are thirsty, but provide decent power.

The sad bit is that I've driven all of the cars you listed; some in anger. 4-cylinder BMWs are underwhelming, too. Anyone who says otherwise hasn't driven enough cars for a decent point of reference.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Ok have decided on a Impreza GX (Non-Turbo).

What should i be looking out for?

And whats with all the odd shape headlight changes?

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Well after being on subaru forums i've been advised to get the Impeza WRX STI Wagon. Since it will be almost as thirsty as the GX but more fun to drive.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I was looking for a 4 door Discovery but seem to have ended up with a SWB Nissan Terrano II - anybody know anything about them ?

I do like selectable 4wd mind. So far, over a quick 750 miles, about 36 mpg.

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
RWD is fun if you are after something to drive fast, but they are rubbish on slippery roads, snow and mud. Skinny tyres, FWD and you'll be fine.

Most of the cars I saw drifted off the road last year were RWD. Mercs, BMW and the light.

If you want small and practical, get a diesel corsa. Heavy lump of engine right over the tyres. Stick winter tyres on it and you'll have no problems in winter.

So true. RWD are brilliant fun on dry roads, but absolute dog in bad weather and good luck moving anywhere in snow or ice. My old 1.1 Ford Fiesta was brilliant in snow, skinny tyres, FWD, engine over the drive/steering wheels etc. It'd plough through snow when BMW's were stuck with their rear ends in the gutter, with their fat rear wheels spinning uselessly.

Salaud

Nomad
Aug 24, 2011
isle of man
I was looking for a 4 door Discovery but seem to have ended up with a SWB Nissan Terrano II - anybody know anything about them ?

I do like selectable 4wd mind. So far, over a quick 750 miles, about 36 mpg.
I have a 2.5 petrol lwb one.. its superb m8,very surefooted offroad and in low ratio gets through just about any terrain.. only thing with mine is that sometimes it wont release the locking hubs, which sees me reversing like a lunatic to try to free em, if this happens the hubs heat up quite drastically, but that niggle aside it has performed really well, mine spends 90% of its time off road so its no chelsea tractor and consequently is filthy but that just adds to the charm.. leastways thats what I tell the wife !!.. I spend lots of time on farms and I see many many terrano II`s on them, mainly the swb van type.. Now we all know Farmers are as tight as a ducks ****.. so what does that tell you:lmao: 123k miles and mine is still going like a train !!.... a good choice.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
So true. RWD are brilliant fun on dry roads, but absolute dog in bad weather and good luck moving anywhere in snow or ice. My old 1.1 Ford Fiesta was brilliant in snow, skinny tyres, FWD, engine over the drive/steering wheels etc. It'd plough through snow when BMW's were stuck with their rear ends in the gutter, with their fat rear wheels spinning uselessly.

To be honest ithink it depend how you drive since managed perfectly well once on the road in my RWD MR2 with summer tyres on last year. Admittely its fitted with winter tyres at present but that was because some days i couldnt get the car out theslopeed drive.

Last edited:

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
To be honest ithink it depend how you drive since managed perfectly well once on the road in my RWD MR2 with summer tyres on last year.

You might be able to compensate to some extent with ability, but that you are at an inherent mechanical disadvantage is the laws of physics and has nowt to do with skill. :)

Besides, the MR2 is a mid engine (actually rear engine) RWD car, which fairs a little better than a front engine RWD car as it has the weight of the engine over the driving wheels.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
You might be able to compensate to some extent with ability, but that you are at an inherent mechanical disadvantage is the laws of physics and has nowt to do with skill. :)

Besides, the MR2 is a mid engine (actually rear engine) RWD car, which fairs a little better than a front engine RWD car as it has the weight of the engine over the driving wheels.

Fair point but used 1978 Spitfire with front engine RWD in snow in the past but i supose it did have the advantage of narrow tyres but that was tail happy in most conditions :p.

It just annoys me people say using RWD in wet/icy conditions is the fault when 80% of accident in bad weather is cause by driver error.

Admitaly the Mid engine and lightness of the Mk1 MR2 can be an advantage with the weight distribution.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
RWD and front engine just sucks in the snow - mid engine does a bit better, front engine FWD is best because you've got engine, drive and steering over the front axle and obviously 4WD is king. It's physics man. :)

[video=youtube;RBymI-QuaoY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBymI-QuaoY[/video]

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE