Cheapest 4x4 on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Sorry to be picky but that's too short. Really need something in-between which is why I thought Terrano sine there longer than most swb 4x4 but not massive like most lwb. Alsp not many Korando's out there at the moment unfortunately.

lavrentyuk

Nomad
Oct 19, 2006
Mid Wales
I had a Terrano for a year, not a good experience, but I was never sure if it had a lockable central diff or not. Ditto the Fourtrak I had a couple of years back.

That locking diff got me out of trouble in the snow around here this winter, but the Fourtrak just breezed through everything except really deep mud.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
I have also considered ISUZU 3.0 3 door (which is a big big) since could probably run that in veg oil but not sure about spares for them. Must admit starting to hear more and more about problems with the Terrano so looks like I'm back at the start again not knowing what to get. Just a pity the diesel Rav 4 lwb isn't under £2K.

skids

Oct 19, 2012
Gloucestershire
i've had half a dozen 4x4's in the last few years, only two for under a grand;

i've had a sub 1k SJ, it was an excellent offroader, but terrible on it, noisy, small and impractical. it was however great fun to own and drive.

IMG_1389.jpg

i replaced it with a swb pajero after doing my homework. I paid a little over the odds for mine, 130k, couple owners, some history, and all the toys for £950. i stuck some tyres on, lifted it 2" (£130) and although it's not as good offroad as the sj it will still go anywhere i want it to:

IMG_4547.jpg

It's got aircon, e/w, e/m and will sit at 70 all day. plus it went through it's last mot no trouble the kit and build quality is excellent. IMO for a grand you'll struggle to get better than a swb pajero. leave the shoguns (more rust). bear in mind they're small, if you're 4 up there's little room for baggage.

Have to agree with you about Pajero's had a few, reliable, parts are plentiful. I've just gone back to swb and love it, if you struggle for room just add a roof rack.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ronnie

Settler
Oct 7, 2010
Highland
I sold my Series 3 today. The rebuild became a bit of a chore which I wasn't enjoying any more. Didn't have the time or the money it needed to make good. So I sold it to someone with more mechanical know how than me.

Glad to be shot of it to be honest.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Going to look at a Disco 300 today since the impreza is costing me near £300 in petrol each month to run that's without garage bills on top. Although did get offered a Fourtrak in PX for the car but it had been fully fitted out for off road with the tank moved to the rear seat area full roll cage Ect.. So wont be practical as an everyday car sadly.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Impreza sold so now have £1500 to buy a 4x4 with and looking at a Discovery 300Tdi but going of the idea since it seems no matter if you pay £500 or £3000 for one they seem to all be more rust than car one ones I've seen.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Impreza sold so now have £1500 to buy a 4x4 with and looking at a Discovery 300Tdi but going of the idea since it seems no matter if you pay £500 or £3000 for one they seem to all be more rust than car one ones I've seen.

Yup but they're big so you get a LOT of rust for your money. :rolleyes:

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
Anyone have experience of buying/running ex MOD landrovers pref long wheel base? Seen some relatively low mileage at army surplus stores online.
They look strong. Curious about parts/reliability/driving experience and monthly fuel costs.
With thanks in advance.

Sep 11, 2013
gatwick
i have a fourtrak, brilliant for towing full limit, amazing engine, not refined in anyway, rots easy, but does get 32mpg which is good, 4x4 hubs temperamental, i like mine but wouldn't really recommend it, land rovers ive had more than a few and they are all ****e, especially for a £1000 budget. shogun was very good, jeep was unreliable, trooper was a great car too. freelander, run a mile unless you know how to skim heads and do head gaskets, nightmare.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE