Cheapest 4x4 on a budget?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

widu13

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
On of the most overlooked problems with driving a good 4WD on-road is the noise. Many good 4WDs have more than adequate road performance as such; at least on rural roads for shorter everyday driving. However they subject the driver and passengers to a mind numbing amount of road noise on long road trips, especially on the motorway.
It's down to conditioning I think. I have driven land rovers since the 80's learning to drive in a 1 tonner (101/FC) and I love the noise they make especially with off road tyres. The hum/drone makes me sleepy immediately as I must have spent 100s of hours in the back of them in a maggot getting my head down.

I've just got a Dacia Duster (you may know it as a Renault, or Nissan Terrano) and have put A/Ts on it which hums above 25mph and make me smile every time I drive it. Other than the tyres there is little other noise (it's not a proper of roader) but I know what you mean.

didicoy

Mar 7, 2013
fens
I have a ford transit county LWB MHT 4x4 campervan conversion. Lovely beast. Last year of manufacture 2000. Banana 2.5 turbo 5 speed High low box. Was a 16 seater minibus. Full length roof rack. I think this will be the last year I keep it, as my family is growing.

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Must admit I'm beginning to wonder since I've repaired most things on the Freelander just put up with it since better the devil you know I suppose. Since if I buy another cheap 4x4 I could be in for more problems :confused:

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
That was my thoughts with my 1.8 Freelander but it just kept costing me more and more money, my advice would be get shot of it they are truely appaling vehicles!

bushferret

Jun 15, 2013
United Kingdom
Can't go wrong with a trooper don't get confused with a bighorn which comes from abroad.trooper parts are easy to get and are fairly cheep especially from a car breakers Bighorn parts exhaust etc have different fittings than the trooper so be warned.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i did a thread a couple of years ago on head versus heart, in my quest to either buy another land or a hilux. in the end heart won. now, 3 years latter (100 thou extra on the clock and 3 grand on repairs) i have let head have a go and bought an Isuzu D-Max. more comfy, better MPG (38 compared to 28), more space and, hopefully, better reliability!
Only time will tell if it has the same heart factor as Solihuls finest.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
i did a thread a couple of years ago on head versus heart, in my quest to either buy another land or a hilux. in the end heart won. now, 3 years latter (100 thou extra on the clock and 3 grand on repairs) i have let head have a go and bought an Isuzu D-Max. more comfy, better MPG (38 compared to 28),.....

I wish. My truck (Ram 1500 2WD) gets 16 MPG (US gallons) at best. Quick calculation puts that at 19.2 MPG with British gallons.

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
I wish. My truck (Ram 1500 2WD) gets 16 MPG (US gallons) at best. Quick calculation puts that at 19.2 MPG with British gallons.

I imagine your fuel is a fraction of the price of ours though...ours has recently dropped in price but it's still nearly £5.00 a gallon.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I imagine your fuel is a fraction of the price of ours though...ours has recently dropped in price but it's still nearly £5.00 a gallon.

Yeah. Right now it's about $2.25 per US gallon (about $2.71 if you expand that to a British gallon) It all depends on your perspective though: it's not that your price is normal and ours is low. Rather our price is extortionately high at 8 times higher than normal and yours is more so at about 15 times normal.

Last edited:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
i did a thread a couple of years ago on head versus heart, in my quest to either buy another land or a hilux. in the end heart won. now, 3 years latter (100 thou extra on the clock and 3 grand on repairs) i have let head have a go and bought an Isuzu D-Max. more comfy, better MPG (38 compared to 28), more space and, hopefully, better reliability!
Only time will tell if it has the same heart factor as Solihuls finest.

Wish I could afford a D-Max extended cab pick up since had a good look around one a few years back but sadly out of my budget.

Feb 21, 2015
Durham
I have a ford transit county LWB MHT 4x4 campervan conversion. Lovely beast. Last year of manufacture 2000. Banana 2.5 turbo 5 speed High low box. Was a 16 seater minibus. Full length roof rack. I think this will be the last year I keep it, as my family is growing.

You got any pics? would be interested when you sell it!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE