Cheap small tent

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Hi, mate of mine (not into regular camping) wannts a cheap but light and sturdy tent any thoughts (does not like idea of a basha!).

Cheers, Jim :wink:

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Hi Jim.

See the earlier thread on the Argos Pro-Action one man tent.

I bought one, as did at least two other guys on bushcraft uk, and scores of folk on uk.rec.walking.

Costs £30 (recently on offer at £24) from Argos. Seriously. You'd think it would be rubbish at that price, but its not. Aluminium poles, genuinely waterproof, only 2kg, amazingly small pack size and is a copy of a big bucks tent. Also is forest green.

I'm well pleased with mine. Quality is not as good as my £200 Vaude Space Explorer (eg - porch very small and not fire retardent, midge netting not fine enough) - but not too far off

T

Tumper

I agrre about the argos tent. I purchased one a couple of months ago, and its now seen 12 days use. It's a little cramped, and it pitches inner first, other than that, for £30 it's incredible value. Consider it as halfwat between a hooped bivi, and a proper tent. It's still cheaper than either.

If your friend can stretch to a bit more cash, about £70 - £80, the coleman cobra is a pretty good tent, although heavy. I have one that I've used year in, year out for 3 years, and its a real tough piece of gear. I've painted it with pu sealent twice now....any more and I might make a coracle out of it!

Slightly more expensive, but my real favoroute, is the vaude taurus. Big, fairly light, well made, and a usable porch. I think you can find them for about £100 now

leon-1

I think that it all depends on what your mate thinks is a cheap tent, how much would he spend and how
long does he want it to last.
If he is going to get a lot of use out of it and will use it year round,go for something which is
around the £100 mark like the Taurus available at [url]http://www.venturesport.co.uk/venturesport_product.asp?parseid=190[/url]
for £99 . Another alternative is the Wild Country Crura for about £70 from gear zone (packaging is free on orders
over £40) [url]http://www.gear-zone.co.uk/eshop/Wild-Country-Crura.html [/url]is the link. There are a multitude of outdoor equipment suppliers and in the end the choice will be very much his.

I used to do a lot of walking and climbing amongst other bits, so I have a lot of links if you want them.

SquirrelBoy

Nomad
Feb 1, 2004
UK
That Argos Pro-Action Tent (1 man) is great value for money. I have one, it really is smashing for a few nights wild camping..

And to top the lot, Argos have cut the price even further its £19.99 now !!!

JimFSC

Tenderfoot
Mar 21, 2004
Isle of Wight
Actually my colleague did not get one but a camping friend and I both did! Tried it out 2 weeks ago- interestingly I set it up in the Lab during my lunchbreak (Im a sience teacher) and guess what- one of the key top attachment straps on the inner snapped! :cry:

Argos immediately switched it (during said break!) with no reciept and no questions asked- the replacement I noted had different material on this part of the tent which looks stronger (black not white as well) and I've had no problems from this tent. :-D

Sale ends next week....

Blue Sky!

Jim

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE