Cheap DIY Tree Huggers

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tank

Aug 10, 2009
Witney, Oxfordshire
Today whilst down the scrapyard hunting for a replacement for the suspension that gave up on my car i noticed the guys working at the scrapyard used old seatbelts to tie to heavy car parts and then picking it up with a forklift, which got me thinking, if the seatbelt can hold an engine it could be used for some tree huggers.

Thought this may be a useful idea if someone was looking for a cheap alternative to some tree huggers.

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
Clunk, click, every kip!

Sorry, can't help meself sometimes.
emoticon-00111-blush.gif
I'll get me coat...

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
Like that a lot, as I am looking for some wide tree juggers now that I have gone from slap straps to amasteel. A bit of bar tacking on the sewing machine & I reckon I could make something useful.

wise old owl

Jul 12, 2011
Central Tx(USA)
Excuse me for butting in here; but I need your help. What in the world is a "tree hugger?" In my part of the world it is a environmentalist? Thanks in advance, woo

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Excuse me for butting in here; but I need your help. What in the world is a "tree hugger?" In my part of the world it is a environmentalist? Thanks in advance, woo

Straps that go around a tree that hug it and you attach suspesion ropes for hammocks to. Saves the rope cutting in and damaging the tree back.

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
you can buy webbing on ebay that is the same as seatbelt material, its really cheap too. I think it cost me £5 for 10m and that was including postage.

Its 50mm wide so exactly the same as seatbelts and works a treat, well it has for me in my hammock

Dave

dave89

Nomad
Dec 30, 2012
Sheffield
Whilst a good idea if you have old seat belts laying around, not that practical if you had to go out and get some and then modify them. You can get tree huggers or lifting straps for around £10 a pair from the internet.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Most webbing is plenty strong enough to be used for tree huggers. Check out a diy shop and look for webbing sold by the metre. Learn to tie a sling knot to join it (Tie a loose overhand knot in one end, then take the other end and feed it round the overhand knot. Snug knot down tight and whip or sew down loose ends for security).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE