Cheap, but lightweight smock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I know a fella here who's down on his luck, lost his family, hit the bottle, and now lives in a homeless hostel. To keep his mind and body active, and keep himself teetotal, he walks, and I mean walks. He does 25 - 35 miles a day. It means by the time the hostel opens again, he's well exercised and tired, so he eats and sleeps. Only days I don't see him is when he's job hunting, otherwise he's on the road somewhere.

Anyway, to the point. He walks in any weather in jeans and a fabric jacket that isn't waterproof, so I want to find him a cheap, packable, lightweight smock or something along those lines. So it doesn't appear to be charity I've told him I'm clearing the cupboard and if I see anything that suits he can have it.

All he carries is a messenger type bag with water and other stuff, so it would need to scrunch up a bit.

Any recommendations?

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
What size is he? Inside leg, chest, foot size, etc?

If its specifically a smock, it only needs 7 or 8 of us to pledge £3 toward one of these.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Spec-Anorak-Smock-Beige/dp/B00BW5P5HK?ie=UTF8&redirect=true

Im in £3. :D Less than a pint. My good deed for the day.

[I realise Nice hasnt asked for any money, but anyone else willing to chip £3 in to help a homeless guy?]

I think the scary thing is, it could happen to most of us these days. Lose your job, a couple of rent payments missed. Boom! Your'e living on the street. Nightmare]

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Not sure on size. Medium build, probably about 5'11 - 6'.

I'm just thinking something he can unpack and throw on when the heavens open rather than a coat. Thanks for your offer Dave, it's very kind. Poor bloke had a mum and a sister who he lived with, lost them both and went off the rails a bit. He's doing what he can. I pass him in the car looking utterly soaked. It doesn't seem to bother him too much, and he never accepts a lift.

I'm thinking army poncho/smock, but not the rubberised ones because they're bulky and heavy. I don't really know my way around ex army surplus, but some of you guys do. I nearly gave him my Snugpak that I keep in the car, that's the sort of thing I mean, but I don't want to spend on something he may not use, or doesn't want to carry.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Well the one i linked is not waterproof, so I'll take it off.

A surplus DPM goretex jacket can be had for twenty quid new.

My stuffs XL, but he's a similiar height.

I have a brand new DPM Goretex jacket. Which I dont really need. Its big on me though at 6 feet, 44" chest.

Last edited:

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
The poncho is a good idea. He could use it for all sorts. A mini tarp etc.

Please PM me your paypal address I'll send over £3 as a charitable gift.

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
These are pretty respectable and if you get the black it doesn't look military.
http://www.heinnie.com/helikon-tex-poncho

If you put it in a waterproof stuff sack it doubles as a cusion to sit on while out and about.

That's the sort of thing I had in mind, bit over budget, but never mind. I like it because it's the sort of thing I can say I found in the back of the cupboard. Avoiding the pride/charity situation is important or he won't accept a gift.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
You're a kind lot, thanks. :)

I haven't PMd anyone yet, I wasn't intending to start a charity thread. We'll see, if I need some help I'll give you a shout.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i have an old north face goretex mountain jacket that is still totally bombproof (it is in red) that i'd be happy to donate. i'm 5'10 and it is plenty big enough for me.
pm me if you think it'd be any use.
(also not from Yorkshire, but my other half is, lol!)

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I'm happy to chip in £3.00, send me your paypal please and I will send it over to you.

rorymax

Thank you :)

I have a lightweight poncho from Clas Olsen - not the sort that's made of thin plastic like cheap bin bags.

Like this

http://www.clasohlson.com/uk/Rain Poncho/Pr312158001

Happy to gift - send me yr PA if you think it fits the bill.

Also happy to chip in 3 quid.

PS - I'm not from Yorkshire, but my dad's mum was. 25% tyke!

And you :)

i have an old north face goretex mountain jacket that is still totally bombproof (it is in red) that i'd be happy to donate. i'm 5'10 and it is plenty big enough for me.
pm me if you think it'd be any use.
(also not from Yorkshire, but my other half is, lol!)

Very good of you. Without offending, I think anything that needs to be carried for the most part may not get used, hence looking for something that is almost pocket sized. It means it's there if he needs it, and forgotten when it's not.

At the moment, something like the Helikon seems to fit the bill.

jaffcat

Nomad
Sep 26, 2012
Hertford
I have a mint USGI Poncho that he can have..... Woodland camo tho????? Let me know.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
I have a mint USGI Poncho that he can have..... Woodland camo tho????? Let me know.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

As he walks the main road between Chichester and Midhurst, I'm thinking any disruptive pattern might not be the way to go. Similarly black, partly because during the winter he was walking in the dark (he wears black jeans and a dark jacket), but partly because it looks a little sinister.

I'll get him a Helikon, and if it's still ok with you guys, pick up a little towards it. You've all been helpful, and really more than generous, thank you.:)

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
£3 from me too. I have a Pac a Mac somewhere and some waxed cotton over trousers if my wife hasn't sent them to our local charity shop. Will take a look this weekend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE