Chainsaw help?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I am looking for a chainsaw - nothing professionsal, just something small with a little grunt to get firewood for the house and ozpig.

I want petrol and something my simple brain can look after (I am a literary brain rather than kinesthetic).

All directions to something that won't break the bank welcome.

garethw

Settler
I've had a couple of chainsaws and it is definitely worth spending a little extra to get a Stihl ... they do some small ones with 30cc motors, for around £160...
They are very good. You can get lots of cheap Chinese models but they are nowhere near as good as the Stihl's.
cheers
Gareth

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
I use a Macculloch for logs, It isnt a Stihl but it is good enough. The army uses Makitas now which are ok, but i prefer to use my trusty Yellow Mac.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
I got cheap two-stroke one from Aldi for eighty quid and I was well impressed with it compared to some others I've used. I think it's 16", I'm afraid I can't check because it's in France at the moment. I have both electric and two-stroke petrol ones, and if I'm within 100 metres of a power point I'll go for an electric one every time. I've seriously considered getting a 4-stroke generator just for powering electric chainsaws. I hate two-stroke engines.

Keeping the cutters sharp makes a world of difference.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Stihl or Husqvarna would be my pick Rich - but I agree with Ged on the electric ones - I wouldn't have one as my only saw, but I use my 14" electric more than my big petrol Husqy. Feel free to come and use my stuff to get an idea of how they handle - plus the sharpening tools, safety gear and benches if you want?

Red

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Stihl or Husqvarna would be my pick Rich - but I agree with Ged on the electric ones - I wouldn't have one as my only saw, but I use my 14" electric more than my big petrol Husqy. Feel free to come and use my stuff to get an idea of how they handle - plus the sharpening tools, safety gear and benches if you want?

Red

That's a very kind offer I will try to take you up on.

Our local farm suppliers have the Husqy version of the same Stihl for 2/3 the price. That may be the way to go.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have used Husqy for many years - no complaints here. Any competent saw shop will keep the spares, replacement bars, chains, plugs etc. for both Stihl and Husqy.

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Also try and get a secondhand jonsered, I have the 2165 turbo, matbe a little big for what your after, but the build quality and reliabilty factor are A1, they used to be independant, but i think there husqy owned now anyway..........you can pick em up off ebay really cheap, got mine for £30 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! outperforms any stihl or husqy iv ever had........
mark

garethw

Settler
I've got a recent Stihl, bought last year.. great little saw, cost me around £350. Not heard any bad reports on them. I live in a rural and wooded part of France and all the woodsmen use Stihl's round here, all be it bigger models than mine.
cheers
Gareth

EdS

cheap and cheerful:

http://www.huttimports.co.uk/garden-power-tools-c-61.html?osCsid=a4eqq94e5di2j7fnh83f76nrs0

got one as i've had several Husqvarnas stolen. I've got the 52cc version it has been every bit as reliable as my Husqvs, all the parts are interchangable with Husqs and I believe that most of them come form the same factory in china as alot of Husqvarna AB parts do (Husqvarna, Jonsered, McCulloch, Partner, Poulan etc).

There customer service to is second to non.

wickedwillow

Dec 29, 2010
malvern
Ive used stihl for over 15 years now, Great saws even the smaller range & parts are always easy to obtain, With my job Ive been using the makita & echo range, great on price and easy to use but build quality is not as good, the smaller Husky range are now made in the far east and have varing reviews. You pay your money and take your choice, but I bet the stihl saw ( if looked after) is still going after all other makes have given up.

jamin

Forager
Nov 27, 2006
lincoln
www.piczo.com
hi if you only want somthing small for light use. try a sthil with a picco chain. used 1 the other day and was supprised how good it was.

Last edited:

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
hi if you only want somthing small for light use. try a sthil picco. used 1 the other day and was supprised how good it was.

Isn't Picco a type of Stihl chain as opposed to the saw it runs on? Pretty sure one of my Stihls runs 3/8ths PMMC 3 (Stihl Picco Micro Mini Comfort 3) chain. Its a low kickback chain used on a lot of the smaller saws and also on the top handle arborist saws.

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
First things first, if you are going to be using a Chainsaw, even just around the home, then please

1) Get some professional training including correct usage, safety and maintenance. And by professional I don't mean from Joe Blogs Next Door.

2) Obtain and use Personal Protection Equipment - Boots, Chaps, Helmet, Face/Eye protection, Earmuffs, and the likes.

Why? A Chainsaw is the most dangerous piece of power equipment you can use without a licence. One microsecond, one millimetre, one slip and you could do some serious damage, or even be all over.

As to the chainsaw, in short, get the best, highest quality saw you can afford that is suited to your needs.

Many years ago I bought myself a domestic chainsaw from the local hardware store thinking to myself that all that extra money for a Stihl or the likes was not necessary. I mean, how different can one brand be from another?

It depends on the type of and amount of work you need to do of course, but I soon learned, even doing domestic type work, that there is a huge difference in not only performance but also safety.

Since then I have ended up with a number Stihls, small, medium and large (long story) and wouldn't buy anything else.

The other major brand is of course Husqvarna but I trained on, and feel comfortable with, Stihl so stick with them. Which is another good point of course, you need to feel comfortable with your chosen saw.

Size - One important piece of advice given to me was to buy a saw slightly bigger than you need so you have that little extra bit of power up your sleeve. Bar size is less important than the power of the motor, and also the power to weight ratio of the machine over all. As an example, the Stihl MS270 model for example is made for the consumer market whereas the MS261 is made for the professional market and has a much higher power output for less weight.

On that point, it would be better to get a Pro machine if you can because of the greater power per weight, the much better
anti-vibration engineering built into the machine, and so on.

This US page lists all the current models for comparison, which is quite useful.
http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/comparison.html

Other considerations are how often/constantly you will be using it, what type of timber you are cutting (hardwood or softwood, green or dry), and how large the timber is. This will all help you choose a model, blade length and chain type.

Blade Length - Bigger is not always better. The Americans seem to have a love of overly long chain bars, but it is often not necessary. You don't always need a 24" bar to cut 24" diameter timber, if you know what you are doing. So get a bar length suited to your needs.

Chain Type - There are various types of chain for various purposes, mostly only used in professional circumstances, but in general standard profile chain is better that low profile (picco) as it gives more cutting surface and thus puts less strain on the motor. This will also depend on the choice of saw as each saw is design to be used with a particular type of chain.

Having said that, I have two saws that use LP/Picco chain which are excellent for their respective jobs, but I would never think of using them out of their range. IE., my small saw with 3/8" LP chain is perfect for snedding/bucking/limbing or even small firewood, but I would never use it on anything larger than 2" in diameter. That is when I reach for the bigger saws.

Make Sense? I hope this helps with some basic info, the next step is to go into a few chainsaw shops, not the local hardware please, explain your needs and ask their thoughts. Hopefully they will all be pretty close in their recommendations, which should narrow the field for you.

And remember, get some professional training - it is worth its weight in Fingers and Toes!

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I should say that I've used Stihls quite a few times in the woods, clearing rides, chopping firewood etc. It's just that now I need my own. The blokes who have used them (Stihls) are saying they are no longer quite as well made as they used to be. I was intereseted in the sort of this Eds is using and contemplating getting one of those until I am settled in a nicer part of the world and need a big one. Eds - is it good for the money?

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
I am not aware of any declining quality in Stihl saws, however, although almost all the Stihl's are made in Germany, some are made in the US, and at least 1, perhaps more, in Chile. If you stick with the models made in Germany you should have no problems.

I have no idea about the one Eds is suggesting, being the other side of the pond, but if parts are interchangeable with name brands that would count for something.

A last word - As always, you get what you pay for, which is why, given that Chainsaws are so dangerous, I now will only buy professional models.

ganstey

Settler
I've had a Stihl for about 8-9 years, and use it on and off. I'd recommend them to anyone, although I've never used any other make! I did the NPTC courses for maintenance & cross-cutting, and also for felling small trees. If you're not already trained up, then its a must, and explains how everything works. I've taught a few friends how to maintain their chainsaws, and would be more than happy to give you a hand. I'm OK felling trees, but know my limits and wouldn't even attempt to train anyone else.

I would say that whichever brand/model you choose, make sure that you have easy access to spares - luckily for you the ag dealer opposite The Pheasant (who's name escapes me for the time being) is a Stihl dealer and carries a wide range of spares.

Happy to pay back your leatherwork help with a few lessons in chainsaw maintenance - will give me a chance to dig mine out and have a play :eek:)

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE