Chainsaw Crosscut and Felling Course

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
Hi All,

Just testing the water here, but was wondering if 3-4 people would be keen to do the above course? Location would be in Dorset, some time in the next 2-3 months. I am waiting on a price from the instructor but hopefully it will be a cheaper way to get a qualification with the chainsaw.

There would be the possibility to camp in the 400acre broadleaf woodland and I would also happily throw in some bushcraft training in the evenings for those that wanted it.

Let me know what you guys think

Ross

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
Would this be CS30/31? if so I would be interested in the CS31 to add to my current 30, Price and dates dependant.

Cheers
Louis

IanM

Nomad
Oct 11, 2004
UK
Possibly, but I would need to know the answers to Kipling's six honest serving-men.

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
What-CS30/31
Why-Because chainsaws are potentially dangerous, and it is good to get a nationally recognised qualification
When-Dates TBC, but hopefully in the next 2 months
How- Course contents (but not through this organisation) http://tkftraining.co.uk/cs30-cs31-basic-chainsaw-maintenance-cross-cutting-and-felling/ (hopefully it will be MUCH) cheaper than this!
Where- A 400acre woodland 8 miles North of Bridport. Camping is an option, but there are loads of B&B's in the area.
Who-The forester I spoke to said for safety reasons he would be happy with a max of 4. So once I get the dates and costs I will post it up here and the first 3 people to post will get a place. I can set up a reserve list in case anyone drops out. If it proves more popular I can see about organising another course.

This is all the information I have at the moment, so hope it helps. I am not making any money from this but think it might be a cheaper way of getting the qualification. And as I said I am happy to do a bit of Bushcraft tuition in the evenings if people are keen.

Ross

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Hi Ross :)

Hope your well and good.

This sounds good. Timely too. I'd like to show my interest in it.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I'd be interested, also interested in CS32, CS45 and CS50. I have my own saw and PPE.

Last edited:

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
Hi Guys

Just waiting for the guy to get back to me on prices and dates. I will post on here as soon as I know the details.

Ross

Ross Bowyer

Apr 29, 2004
kendal
Hi all,

Here are the details, dates still TBC.

5 days covering Maintenance, cross cutting and small tree felling.

1 day National Proficiency Test Council (NPTC) assessment.

Trainees are to provide chainsaws, basic tool kit and protective clothing. There may be a LIMITED supply of this if people do not have there own.

Cost

5 days- £194.00
Maintenance & X cutting assessment fee- £121.00
Small tree felling assessment fee- £91 (Assessment fees are set by the NPTC & regional assessment centre)

Total- £406 per person

Food and drink not included. If people wish to camp on site there will be no fee.

Looking at running this sometime between January and March 2013.

I will not start taking names yet as I have no confirmed dates but was just wanting you guys to see the cost to see if it is still viable. As soon as I have dates I will post them here and start taking names on a first come basis.

All the best,

Ross

charliefoxtrot

Sep 9, 2011
North Lancs, UK.
For those considering this, I did CS30/31 last year and it was really worthwhile. If you've not used a saw much, theres a lot more to it than you might think !

That price is good compared with what FE colleges etc charge. I was lucky to get a 50% subsidy on mine from a local woodlands group, so it was around £360 iirc, but I had B&B cost on top of that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE