Chaga Tea

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Chaga tea has some extraordinary claims made about it, including curing Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn of his cancer. Some people seem to drink it as some kind of restorative or health tea - grinding the fungus to coffee granule size then boiling for ten minutes or so.

Has anyone here tried it? If so, why and what was it like etc.

Much obliged for any info.

ForestNH/VT

Sep 6, 2007
New Hampshire, USA
I collect chaga for tinder. Those parts that are not good for tinder, my wife grinds up for tea. It tastes VERY good. Not at all what you might expect. I find it sweet enough with no sugar added, my wife adds some sweetener - good with honey. We make it like Russian tea - steep double portion of chaga in hot water for 20-30minutes, strain, then add to boiling water to taste for each cup .

Forest

y0dsa

Forager
Jan 17, 2008
The Danelaw
Thanks for that, Forest. Interesting that it tastes good and is actually sweet. Thought it might have tasted earthy, maybe 'mushroomy', but never sweet... Think I'll give it a try. Cheers!

caliban

Need to contact Admin...
Apr 16, 2008
edinburgh
Hi! I've been reading this forum for a few weeks and very interesting it is too, congratulations!

I've registered to ask Forest about chaga. I became fascinated by this fungus after reading "Cancer Ward" by the aforementioned Alexander Solzhenytsen (sp?). I didn't know that it can be collected in this country. Would there be any chance of posting a few pics? there are lots of birch silver trees near where I live I'd look out for chaga if I knew what I was looking for. Thanks for your very informative post.

PS You might be interested in this;

http://www.heathpea.co.uk/

It's supposed to be the Highland equivalent of the coca plant.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE