Cast Iron..

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Have a Le Creuset set bought must be 35 years ago. The frying pan is bomb proof and still going with no signs of any real wear. The weight problem is with the cast iron sauce pans, them filled with food with only one handle makes them a but cumbersome.
Whereas the Pyrex cast iron casserole dish with two handles is no problem.

Saying this have been looking at steel frying pans, particularly the Mauviel M'steel, think just weighs 2 1/4 lbs which does seem NOT too obnoxious to carry.

Last edited:

Jared

Sep 8, 2005
Wales
You can get cast iron frying pans with a grab handle opposite the pan from the normal handle.
Does your LC pots have the protrusions on the inside of the lids?

No, only other feature is a pour spout on the side.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Southern ladies have well exercised, strong wrists?

Must be all that stirring the Fried Chicken!

Back in my grandmothers day? (when they still milked the cos every morning) Yes. Even now though, Southerners just don't cook the main staples (cornbread, fried chicken, bacon-eggs-pancakes, pork chops, fried steak, fish, french fries, etc) on anything but cast iron.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
That's true. Maybe 1/2 - 2/3 of the daily requirement (in the heme group of hemoglobin, among other things, one atom at a time.)
Stir-frying in an ordinary wok should work in much the same way.

I see that Lodge also sells a silicone sleeve handle for the 12" frypan.
Think the pan $50.00 and the handle $12.00 will make a terrific gift for myself.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I must have been 20+ yrs old before I started cooking in a wok. Still use all 3 originals but my spoons are wearing out!
I'd think that for camp cooking, a wok would be a real luxury to take along without the weight of cast iron.
Pack train of horses & mules, = different story!

I notice in most everybody's camp pictures that you don't have any rocks to make fire rings.
Ideal support for woks, pots & pans.
Mostly dirt and not too many stony places?

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Glacial erratics and moraines all across the mid west, continuing north to the Precambian shield.
Of course vertical rock here, valley bottoms = glacial flood plains = gooey clays or sand lenses.
Looks like found stones are more uncommon than I thought.

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
I must have been 20+ yrs old before I started cooking in a wok. Still use all 3 originals but my spoons are wearing out!
I'd think that for camp cooking, a wok would be a real luxury to take along without the weight of cast iron.
Pack train of horses & mules, = different story!

I notice in most everybody's camp pictures that you don't have any rocks to make fire rings.
Ideal support for woks, pots & pans.
Mostly dirt and not too many stony places?

InScandinavia we are lucky as the ground is more stone than dirt. Maybe that is the reason we ( at least I) never dig any holes for a "number two" .

I have never used stones for support, as I lost a few meals due to a tipping pan. Also too complicated to adjust the dtones when different pan sizes were used. Coffee pan, casserole pan all different sizes.
I used to hang them from a stick with the help of a steel wire.

Last edited:

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
My experiences in western Canada are a lot like Scandinavia, I should think.
Even on the prairies, still lots of farm piles of the glacial stone debris from 8,000 - 10,000 yrs ago.
On hills above rivers and lakes, much of that stone is still arranged in teepee circles.
Hundreds of those along Last Mountain Lake, SK.

We camped a lot as a family when we were kids. Many of the lakes have shore lines of flat, sedimentary limestones, ideal for camp cooking.
Every crack was an ant colony. They were doing good business at something.

Mom always expected a stone-ringed fire pit about 4' long and maybe a foot wide = a serious kid-job to build.
She pushed the fire back and forth to cook things side by side.

Here in my district there are many outcrops of flat sedimentary rock, sort of slate/shale that you can break out in any thickness.
The logging road up the Holmes river is maybe 60 km long and every possible camping spot now has at least one major fire ring of flat rock!
Dozens of beautiful flat places beside little rushing mountain rivulets. Totally cut off by ice jams and flooding right now.

greenshooots

Nomad
Oct 18, 2007
s.wales
i have a set of cast i use for fixed camp work but i prefer my cold handled pans for for on the move i have a 1 egg pan and a 2 egg pan

greenshoots

leon-b

May 31, 2006
Who knows
My dad found this in a skip and gave it to me. Can't se any makers marks so not sure what it is. Ceramic on the outer but not on the inside. Ceramics chipped on a few parts, shouldn't matter? Just have it a real light wash, dried and oiled it then sat it on the hob for a couple of minutes.

4aXw7cz.jpg

Uf34WLB.jpg

2Z8Kgqd.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE