Cast iron, canvas and tin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Was in the attic today and found my grandads old gear we used when i was a boy.

Got a cast iron dutch oven, free from rust and seems in good order. However my grandad probably bought it around 1900.

Is it fine to use after a clean?

Got an external frame canvas pack, some tinware and an old canvas tent.

This was the same stuff we had the first time he took me camping so i'd like to try to restore them so i can give them to my grandson to use.

The tent is in good order, but the pack has some rot and the tinware is a little beat up.

Is there a company or a person who restores these things?

Thanks

Jim

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
take a few pictures and let people here have a good look before you consider paying anyone to restore it! ( as there are many knowledgable folks that regularly use this forum)

sounds good though, past generation gear sounds like a gold rush to me!

finbo

Aug 12, 2011
East Lothian
Would be interested to hear tips on how to restore a cast iron stove. I`ve been given a WW2 stove that was found in an Anderson shelter. I have had it lying in my garden for the past two years. I have given it a paint of stove paint every year but would like to know if there is a better way to look after it.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I cain't speak for the stove. LOL. But as for the dutch oven, it's pretty straight forward. Burn it out good in a wood fire. When it cools, re-season it and it will be fine; should last another century or two and many generations.

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I picked a cast iron casserole out of a skip - it had been used to mix paint in, I think and it smelt. Took a bit of cleaning/burning but once seasoned it's better than any non-stick coating. I do most of my cooking in a cast iron "Lodge" frying pan. I find the best way of seasoning it is to wipe it with some oily kitchen roll and then to put it on the hob for 3 minutes with the lid on

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Nice one, I'd love to have some old gear like that with sentimental value attatched to it. Any chance of some pics please?

AuldJum

Forager
Sep 18, 2011
Fife
Nice one, I'd love to have some old gear like that with sentimental value attatched to it. Any chance of some pics please?

I'll get my son to take some when he comes on Saturday. I don't have a camera.

I've also got quite a bit of gear dating from 1937 to 44. British army gear that was used in Burma. This belonged to my dad and he was killed before i was born so i'll be keeping it as is.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE