Carrying Water.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Longstrider

Settler
Sep 6, 2005
South Northants
I've been wondering about how best to carry my water requirements whilst on longer trips out.

As I see it the options basically boil down to to either rigid (or semi-rigid I suppose) containers such as plastic cans, empty pop bottles, or ex-army type canteens or soft bladder type water carriers.
I have always previously shied away from the bladder types, fearing punctures and splits (I'm a clumsy so-and-so at times) and relied on things like empty pop bottles for smaller trips or small-ish purpose made plastic containers similar to mini jerry cans.

If only ours was a cleaner world I'd look at gathering and purifying most of the water we needed as we went along, but other than carrying both filters and purifiers, then boiling the water I can see little option other than to take with us all we'll need. I have used filters and the like in the past, but quite frankly the water always tastes pretty foul to me afterwards anyway.

As I'll be getting to do a few overnighters/weekenders out in the woods with my girlfriend this year I'll be needing to carry a little more of the wet stuff than I have before. I'll most likely be carrying the majority of the water for both of us in order to keep her pack weight down to what she can cope with more easily.
The rigid containers are good, but they do take up useful pack space even when empty, but having no experience of the bladder type containers I'm wondering if they might be the way to go...

What do you folks use, and why ?

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
I have used Camelbacks in the past but just for drinking on the move but I have recently been given, xmas pressie, an MSR Dromadery (sp) which is a bladder type carrier, which you can also buy further accessories.

Before this I carried various types of water bottles, but I have been converted to the bladder system.

It can sit in my bergan and will mold to space available, the only real way to puncture it, I reckon, would be to stab it with a sharp :rolleyes:

Then when you set up you can hang from a suitable point and use the tap accessory.

Top kit :D

soa_uk

Forager
Jul 12, 2005
Highlands
I'm thinking about beginning to start playing with the concept of actually doing stuff :D

As part of a kit trial I took out a CamelBack UnBottle (bladder that fits in a pack) Often used it, but this time forgot to lock off the mouthpiece and it leaked :(

To fill my various stoves/boilers I'm trying some rigids - I've a Nalgene flask which is a *very* fast pourer, and will also be trying a 58 waterbottle.

I'm wondering about a couple of the Platypus 1l folding bottles - take little space when empty and would help carry quite a bit after you've Millbanked and Boiled and cooled if you're collecting on the way.

bloodline

Settler
Feb 18, 2005
England
I use a roll up water container for long stays you can hang it up and it has a tap when its empty it rolls up ive not tried to puncture it so i dont know how strong they are it was quite cheap and ive seen them in a lot of camping kit shops. for day trips or short trips I use the black army ones as I have a highlander rucksack and the side pockets are designed to take them. Im gonna get a couple of black plastic army ones about the size of a jerry can in case I go somwhere and resupply is a prob but with our rainfall I think thats wishful thinking.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I use a roll-up ortleib water carrier around camp - very tough I`ve had it about 8 years now and it`s holding up well.
If I`m planning to cover large distances on the trail then I`ll use a camelbak.

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I agree with Steven. I've used platypus-dromedary-water bag systems before, and I don't like them for a couple reasons.

1) Most of them are narrow mouth, which is a real b*tch to add snow to in the winter.

2) They like to freeze in the winter, including the hoses. Oh sure, you can buy an insulator for the tubes, but hey, when it's -25 in a Canadian winter, even that insulator won't stop the freezing. And then you can't drink from it.

3) Okay, I'm just adding this here for effect. I really don't have a third fact. :27:

Cheers,

Adam

Phil562

Settler
Jul 15, 2005
Middlesbrough
addyb said:
I agree with Steven. I've used platypus-dromedary-water bag .

1) Most of them are narrow mouth, which is a real b*tch to add snow to in the winter.

2) They like to freeze in the winter, including the hoses. Oh sure, you can buy an insulator for the tubes, but hey, when it's -25 in a Canadian winter, even that insulator won't stop the freezing. And then you can't drink from it.

Adam

The MSR has a wide mouth, same size as a Nalgene bottle, and if kept in your bergan should not freeze ;)

zambezi

Aug 24, 2004
DEVON
The bladder solution is useful because it occupies negligable space when not in use and, as noted earlier in this thread, conforms to whatever space is left in your Bergan when full. I have never perforated a bladder from Camelbak, although if you think there is a risk of this happening, then opt for a bladder that comes with a cordura sheath. These can be strapped anywhere on the outside of your bag. A large mouth bladder is handier for filling and cleaning. See below.

Beyond that, I would suggest that you carry two bladders. Partly so that you don't have "all your eggs in one basket" but also so that if you have just refilled a bladder and are waiting the appropriate contact time for the iodine to do its good work, then you still have a second bladder available to drink from in the interim.

showimage.asp

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
I've been through quite a number of water carrying systems trying to find the one that works for me I’ve used pop bottles, sigg bottles, platipus bladders an old 3ltr !!!!!! Plastic wine barrel to carry enough water for some time.

The system I use at the moment is two platypus bladders one that holds 2 litters and the other holds 1.8 this way i can carry enough water so i only have to fill up once a day, these bladders fit in my bag (as has been said )in any space left over or in the pocket designed to carry then they even fit in the pocket on my baby carrying back pack so they function well with all I do.

I have never punctured a bladder but i carry a small repair kit it consists of a small tube of super glue and some high tack clear sail repair tape this can be used on lots of other things too and will make a bladder useable again in a very short time. One of the added advantages I have found with a bladder and drinking tube is when you leave them in the sunshine up a tree in summer you can get back to camp and have a nice warm shower before you have your dinner:)

Been a long day hope you can make some sense of this rambling I’ll shut up now.:tapedshut

James

mark a.

Settler
Jul 25, 2005
Surrey
I use Platypus - I preferred it over the Camelback as I didn't need the sleeve/bag. However, it has a small mouth, so it's hard to clean properly and not as easy to fill in the field. Still, I find adding some boiling water (at the house before setting out) cleans it well enough before filling with cold water.

I've never had a puncture, and they do seem fairly tough (hence the fact that they can take the boiling water). My wife has one too, so when we're walking we have more than enough for both of us, and it provides a backup too.

I've also go a platypus water butt when camping, but haven't used it yet. It should be miles better than the cheapo hard plastic water butt we had before, which refused to pour properly.

L

Lost_Patrol

I find bladders are fine in use, but a real pain to maintain. Unless you're using it very regularly they need to be thoughly cleaned and dryed before storage. The tubes are almost impossible to dry and attract mould.

For most trips, bottles are an easier, if heavier, opion. They can be left with the tops off to dry themselves.

Just my opinion :)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i use a 2 and .5 ltr Platapus, both have taken a battering.. and even when/if they do ever brake.. they come with a life time garentee so with care they will last you for ever.. they are very very tough and a plus is that they dont take up any room when empty unlike a solid bottle.. they get a thumbs up from tomtom and i would advice them!

redflex

Need to contact Admin...
The platypus etc was designed to be used on the move not for water storage.
I use Platypus for my drinking water as often walking some distance and like being able to drink with out removing pack etc
2 Nalgene bottles for cooking water etc found this works for me , mostly this has been in hotter parts of the world.

monkey_pork

Forager
May 19, 2005
Devonshire
Platypus all the way for me too.
I have killed one, but only in cruel and unusual circumstances. :rolleyes:

I might be naive here, (or scummy I guess), but I tend no to worry too much about the state of the insides of mine, but then, they are used pretty frequently, so even from wet, a quick rinse through (out onto the house plants) and a refil is about the only maintenance mine ever get.

They seem to cope being dragged in and out of bags ok, and my 2ltr bag survived being landed on, during a recent and according to eyewitnesses, spectacular off-road bicycle crash.

Cairodel

Nomad
Nov 15, 2004
Cairo, Egypt.
As well as other things, I use the bladder from empty wine boxes (5ltrs). Take up even less space than a platy when empty.
Quote from SWMBO inside the tent early one morning on a recent trip ; "What are you doing - what's that noise??" "It's OK, I'm just emptying my bladder into the drinks dispenser..!?! :eek: :eek:
Edit: forgot to add - when I get back, I rinse them with fresh (tap) water, then fill again either with a salt or bleach solution and empty. They're absolutely fine next time we go out after another fresh water rinse.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE