Car Battery Power

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
This isn't a bushcraft type of question, but I'm hoping that someone out there must know the answer.

Years ago I lived in a teepee and a guy I knew ran a radio off a (disconnected) car battery for me. I was wondering if it would be possible to run a stereo or even my laptop off one?

I'm wondering if it's only possible with a radio as it requires so little 'juice'. If so that would be better than nothing. Could anyone provide (very simple please!) instructions for this?

Many thanks in advance

j

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
What voltage battery does your laptop take?

There are definitely easy and hard ways to do this, the easiest would be to connect it up to the battery terminals of the laptop/stereo/whatever, because all batteries are DC... depending on the input voltage of what you want to run off the car battery, you may need a transformer, as they're 12V.

If, however, you wanted to run something that didn't use batteries, it would be significantly more difficult, because mains voltage is 230-250V AC (Normally around 240 I think but some people say 230, some say 250. it varies a bit anyway). IE you'd need more than just one battery.

I suggest googling, the suggestion of battery-power in the home is becoming increasingly popular, shouldn't be too hard to find something :)

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
If you look hard enough you should be able to find a gettoblaster that has a 12 volt connection.
Most laptop manufacturers will offer an option of a "cigar lighter" socket input.

Your problem would be how long you could go between charges.

Instead of a car battery, it might be much simpler to use one of those 12volt power packs you get in car accessory shops. These can be easily charged from a car or by plugging into the mains.

For long term use you might try to get a "deep cycle" battery from a boat or caravan suppliers.

Ordinary car batteries get damaged if you drain all the power. Deep cycle batteries on the other hand are built to cope with this.

By the way, I just got a tipi myself - great arent they!

janiepopps

Nomad
Jan 30, 2006
Heavenly Cornwall
Thaks you guys especially for keeping it simple. My brain has a sleep mode which is automatically triggered by the sheer mention of words like Voltage & Amps................Snore.................... :D

So, the long & the short of it is that a car battery would power it - just not for very long?? And if I got a deep cycle battery that would keep going for a while or does it need to be recharged??

Anthonyyy Teepee's are fab! Is yours gonna be lived in or just played in?

I have just been lucky enough to score a yurt for mid - long term borrowing! Hence needing some music or something. Just need to work out how to stretch my broadband connection now and I'll be sorted :confused:

j

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
janiepopps said:
Thaks you guys especially for keeping it simple. My brain has a sleep mode which is automatically triggered by the sheer mention of words like Voltage & Amps................Snore.................... :D

So, the long & the short of it is that a car battery would power it - just not for very long?? And if I got a deep cycle battery that would keep going for a while or does it need to be recharged??

Anthonyyy Teepee's are fab! Is yours gonna be lived in or just played in?

I have just been lucky enough to score a yurt for mid - long term borrowing! Hence needing some music or something. Just need to work out how to stretch my broadband connection now and I'll be sorted :confused:

j

Can you afford to get yourself a solar panel to trickle charge your battery...Deep cycle batteries are good, up to a point. If you use an inverter to power appliances it will only go to 80% charge before it shuts down the unit...however if you get 12 volt appliences it will last longer...On my camp site we have a couple of 12volt lights in the toilets that look just like ordinary lights...including switches and lamp holders...I got the bulbs from Halfords...Alternatively, for lighting you can use the small flourecent lights they use in caravans, these last absolutely ages on a 12v battery.

Leisure batteries do cost quite a bit, but how about going to a car breakers and seeing if you can get some from there...The more the better and look for the ones that have a charge indicator light built in...

LS

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
ludlowsurvivors said:
.Deep cycle batteries are good, up to a point.
LS

What would you see as the disadvangage of deep cycle batteries apart form cost?
Obviously cost is a major factor and like you said you can probably pick up used batteries cheap.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Jannie, PM sent...

Deep cycle batteries are good, up to a point. If you use an inverter to power appliances it will only go to 80% charge before it shuts down the unit...however if you get 12 volt appliences it will last longer...

It does help if you look at the whole section....

LS

anthonyyy

Settler
Mar 5, 2005
ireland
"if I got a deep cycle battery that would keep going for a while or does it need to be recharged?? "
It still needs to be charged. It is just that if it looses all its charge it can be charged up again. A normal car battery gets damaged if it looses all its charge.

"Anthonyyy Teepee's are fab! Is yours gonna be lived in or just played in?"
Played in until HERSEFL throws me out.

"I have just been lucky enough to score a yurt" . Lucky you:

Will you have the chance to occasionally charge your battery from the mains?
Setting up solar charger is not that difficult – just difficult to explain here. You need to learn about parallel and serial connections.
Unless you spend a huge amount of money on a solar charger it would only “trickle charge” your battery – i.e. just putting off the day it had to be recharged. You would still need to top them up now and then from the mains, from a car or from a generator.

If your power needs are really as little as you say (and you have experience of living in a tipi) - setting up a system t shouldn’t be that difficult.

Aug 4, 2005
Sunny South Wales.
ludlowsurvivors said:
Can you afford to get yourself a solar panel to trickle charge your battery...Deep cycle batteries are good, up to a point. If you use an inverter to power appliances it will only go to 80% charge before it shuts down the unit...however if you get 12 volt appliences it will last longer...On my camp site we have a couple of 12volt lights in the toilets that look just like ordinary lights...including switches and lamp holders...I got the bulbs from Halfords...Alternatively, for lighting you can use the small flourecent lights they use in caravans, these last absolutely ages on a 12v battery.

Leisure batteries do cost quite a bit, but how about going to a car breakers and seeing if you can get some from there...The more the better and look for the ones that have a charge indicator light built in...

LS

This flexible solar panel would be good for a tipee. :)

http://www.towsure.com/product.asp?p=2453

I've had lots of stuff from this firm and the quality varies from excellent to well below par. It's consistently cheap though.... :rolleyes:

Towsure also sell a simple freestanding cigarette lighter device consisting of a cigarette lighter socket pre wired to a red wire and clip which attaches to the + terminal and a black wire and clip which attaches to the - terminal.

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
anthonyyy said:
It would help even more if you... used sentences …and paragraphs… rather than... sections…

;)

nothatway.gif

wingstoo

May 12, 2005
South Marches
Ditch Monkey said:
I've been looking into getting a solar powered lap-top set up and have been advised that it is best to get a marine battery. Not sure if this is because a marine battery is waterproof or for some other reason.

I am pretty sure that marine batteries are less likely to leak and are generally much the same as other deep cycle batteries.Optima make a good quality one at, http://www.dcbattery.com/optima_blue.html but they are ultra expensive compared to other makes.

LS

demographic

Apr 15, 2005
-------------
I am not positive on this but I seem to remember from taking em to bits years ago that a fair few stereos have a setup that takes the AC power, runs it through a bridge rectifier to change it to DC then through a step down transformer to take it down to 12 volts.

I remember thinking that I could remove all that and just run it on 12 volts but never got round to doing it.

Might be worth taking the back off to have a peek though instead of buying something new and if I am right it's not as if 12 volts is going to kill you is it*.

I do know for a fact that home stereo speakers (with the correct impedence that is) work fine connected upto car amps cos a mate has some in the back of his van.

It's, Boomboxtastic pop pickers:eek:

*Disclaimer 240 volts might well kill you so pull the plug out before removing the back and if you have a pacemaker, blah blah blah...

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
The short answer is yes, it's possible.

The longer answer depends on how long you want to run them for (and if you want the car battery to be able to start a car afterwards )

If your planning on buying a 12V battery specially to do this then I'd recommend ( as others have sugested ) getting a deep cycle ( or lesiure battery ) or a Sealed Lead Acid ( often abrebviated SLA ) battery for it. They are much happier at lower states of charge than car batteries so you will actually probably end up spending more on car batteries in the mid to long term than it would cost to get a dedicated lesiure battery. The jump star charger units that have been suggested generally contain SLAs and a cigarette lighter socket, which makes them quite usefull as they can be charged up from the lighter socket in the car. Car batteries are designed to give a high short term output for starting a car not to be run continuiosly.

If you've not already got the stereo you might want to consider buying a car stereo as that's already 12V and voltage transformations you make will involve losses of power ( read running time ) and can be wired straight to the battery.
You might like to use different speakers to car stereo ones. Depends on how much value you put on the quality of sound really, but most (medium quality ) in car speakers aren't that bad nowadays. That car speakers tend to be a lower resistance that home hifi ones ( 4 ohms as opossed to 8 ohm ) means they tend to be louder for the same input, which will increase the run time of the system as a whole if kept at a similar volume. Also worth noting is the quieter you run it the longer it'll last.

Running a laptop, as already sugested might be best to get a lighter socket adapter from the maunfactures as laptops tend to be worth a bit more money than a cheap stereo. Run times- laptops ( apologies for the little bit of maths ) seem to run at around 30-40Watts that's around 3Amps from a 12V battery so from a say 60 Amp battery expect a bit less than 20 hours run time with a lesiure battery a bit less than that from a SLA and significantly less from a car battery

As small car stereo will probably use about the same, halve those times if using both at the same time, a large stereo will use a lot more and may only run for a couple of hours. As a comparison 2 car headlight ( at around 45Watts each ) left on will flatten a car battery in a matter of a few hours.

Solar panels. Small ones can be just wired direct onto the battery but unless they have a blocking diode ( which will only cost a couple of £s at most ) should be unwired again when they're not in sunshine, as without the diode they will actually take power from the battery during those times.
If your thinking of the little batterty top up panels ( around £10-20 ) they are only about 1-2Watts each and are hardly going to make a difference to you charge when your using such amounts of power as you will for a laptop/stereo. If it's free it worth it if not don't bother buying one ;)
A 5Watt pannel in constant sunshine for 10 hours will charge enough to run your laptop for little over an hour
For anything over a couple of watts ( ie anything usefull, say 15-55Watts ) I'd recommend sticking one of these in the circuit http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx...rue&Stock=28&MinPrice=0&MaxPrice=9999&SD=true

Very easy to do, just connect the panel + and - to the wires labled solar cell + and -. similarly with the battery, accumulator is just another word for battery in this case.
15-20Watts of solar panel is gong to cost around £100 in case your thinking of going that route and unlees you keep moving them so they're in direct sunshine going to only give that out for about 2 hours of the ( sunny ) day, about a third or quater that during overcast times. If your do use them moving them every 2-3 hours so they directly face the sun make a large difference to the daily battery charge as can aranging aluminium foil to reflect light onto them ( you'll still only get the rated power but get it for longer )

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE