Canvas Tarps

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
N

Nomad

Been going round in circles looking for a canvas tarp, and seem to keep drawing a blank. I'm after something 3x3m or 10x10', weighing no more than about 2.5kg or 5-6lbs. Olive or tan/brown is good, as is good resilience to environmental factors (waterproof, mildew resistant, flame retardant, etc). I'm willing to consider dyeing/proofing myself. Not sure about fixings - eyelets or loops? (Loops on the ridge, I guess...)

I've been toying with the idea of making my own, but I feel it's a bigger project than I can manage at present. Never made anything that big, and I arguably don't have the space.

Any suggestions for a ready made tarp? Any makers on here able to do something like this?

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Any recommended suppliers of canvas for one of these?

I just had a look for a 3x3 canvas tarp on an Australian site hoping it would be cheap and that my uncle could bring it back with him next year, but it was $300:nono:

keen-edge

Nov 14, 2009
midlands

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Seen that already, and it looks interesting, although I don't know what "g/lfm" means (grams per square meter?). I wrote to them a few days ago, asking about the weight and any proofing, but there has been no response (just sent a reminder). If it is 560gsm, then it works out to be pretty heavy at about 4.5kg.

I just googled g/lfm as I was intrigued what that meant and my conclusion is that they typed something wrong. :D

N

Nomad

I just googled g/lfm as I was intrigued what that meant and my conclusion is that they typed something wrong. :D

Turns out that it means Laufender Meter, which means running meter. In other words, if the tarp is made from 1.5m wide fabric, the quoted weight is for a meter of that - 1.5 square meters. So, at 560g/lfm, it would be about 373gsm, or about 10.5oz per square yard. They got back to me today, and said that it's about 3kg in total, which just about matches the foregoing. They also said that it's not waterproof.

Balloonatic

Tenderfoot
Aug 27, 2013
Hertfordshire
I am also interested in this, I made a tarp with canvas and red-oxide paint but some bugger nicked it from my barn (I'm still livid). Considering making another one but if there is someone who can make a simple 2x2 of waterproof canvas without eyelets I'd definately be up for it.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I am in the middle of making a tarp from a dropcloth - I will let you know how it works out!
My first job was to wash it (in a laundrette as it would not fit in my machine) to remove any dressing, then I dyed it in a vat of tea.
Next I will be reinforcing the hems and seams with cotton webbing and adding guy points of the same.
Then I intend proofing it with Fabsil or wax.
Cotton tents need "seasoning" by wetting and drying a couple of times before they are waterproof and I hope that the washing and dying are doing this!
I have already made a natural fiber ridgeline by twining sisal cord and the guys will be sisal as well....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE