Canvas mini Alice pack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
Has anyone got one of these:
http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/olive-drab-canvas-mini-alice-pack-358-p.asp

If so, what is it like? I am thinking of using it just for a day pack - just out walking and that kind of thing. I did have one of the DD canvas rucksacks and, well...I wasn't that impressed. I wondered if this one was any better.
Any feedback and experience greatly appreciated.
As is the wont of some, I am not looking for alternative recommendations, just looking for opinions of this particular pack.
Cheers

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
No but I have used the US issue Alice pack and they seem to be made up of better material than this one. My advice is to get one of them from a surplus shop.

nitrambur

Settler
Jan 14, 2010
Nottingham
I got one for xmas last year, not used it yet. There's a label in the top, 100% cotton made in India. All the buckles are metal, as are the tabs on the ends of the straps, some of which have fallen off already. Had a quick play with it, the buckles for the shoulder straps dig in my back, might have to replace them with some softer plastic ones.

sdf234

Apr 18, 2009
Dixie
Just so you know, the only US issue Alice packs were the large and the medium size, there was no such thing as a small Alice pack. All of the mini/small Alice packs are just knock offs made in the Far East or some other third world country. Now I haven't personally used one, but anytime something is a copy like this its quality is usually lacking. They are made more for looks than quality. No matter how cheap it might be I would save your money and spend it on a better pack. Also, if you are looking for a medium or large Alice pack make sure you get a real one as there a lot of rip off copies out there as well.

Extreme Pilgrim

Forager
Aug 27, 2010
UK
The medium-sized Alice pack is not very big at all and that is why I did not make reference to it. You are right that there are lots of inferior copies out there. All the the weight is made up by the frame, the lights body means that the pack is quite light, allowing for good water run-off without the retention you may get with canvass packs.

slasha9

Forager
Nov 28, 2004
Cannock
woodlife.ning.com
I got one of these packs, while I haven't yet tried in out in anger I am pretty happy with the quality of construction, it all looks solid. I have packed in a load of gear to cover an overnighter and it JUST fits in, one thing that did disappoint me was that the outer pouches are JUST too small to take a 58 pattern bottle, it will take one of the cheaper 'knock off' copies (which shows just how tight the fit is!)
but it won't take a genuine issue one nor a crusader cup, one thing that is worth pointing out is the materiel is canvas so this thing will turn into a giant sponge in the rain! just to confirm, there is no such thing as a genuine issue small alice pack, this is a civilian copy that has just scaled down the original design so don't expect any similarity in the materiel at all and IIRC there is no pocket in the lid either

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Just a thought but the DD one http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/rucksacks/pack and this one look quite similar http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/olive-drab-canvas-mini-alice-pack-358-p.asp Firstly they might ctually be the same and secondly even if its not;if you werent that impressed with the DD one you may have similar issues with this one
For the price I reckon the DD one "looks" Ok for a bimble bag but I have never seen or tried one and thats the rub with buying on the net With packs you really cant beat trying one on

chutes

Banned
May 6, 2012
Australia
Apologies for the necropost.

The mini ALICE pack design predates the ALICE pack and perhaps even the Tropical rucksack of the vietnam era.

These Indian made ones which you can pick up for $20 off Amazon.com are non-waterproofed copies of the Vietnam-era MACV-SOG CISO Indigenous Rucksack

MACV-SOG CISO Indig Rucksack
sog_cisoruck1.jpg

Amazon cheapie
31%2B5M31Bi3L.jpg

So what are the cheap ones like? Bargain or rip-off?

Surely someone has used them out bush since this thread was created.

Phil6201

Nov 16, 2008
New Zealand
I've never known a pack so big and heavy that can hold so little as an ALICE pack. The NZDF are issued a version of the ALICE pack and it's the worst thing I've ever carried. So much so I went and bought a decent civvie pack (Karrimor) in DPM so I'd never have to carry a POS Alice pack again.

lub0

Settler
Jan 14, 2009
East midlands
I've never known a pack so big and heavy that can hold so little as an ALICE pack. The NZDF are issued a version of the ALICE pack and it's the worst thing I've ever carried. So much so I went and bought a decent civvie pack (Karrimor) in DPM so I'd never have to carry a POS Alice pack again.

You are obviously much smaller or larger than average and so the ALICE pack simply does not fit you. For average height people, they fit like a glove!
Those that are average height yet still find them uncomfortable, I'd put it down to lack of overall muscle/strength, not the ALICE pack design.

I have the mini Alice pack, had it for about a year now and use it as my day bag, and sometimes as my school bag if I've got alot of books to take, Its a very good strong pack in my opinion, some of the metal tabs on the straps have come off but thats not a real problem. The only problem I've found is the back has no frame and no padding so it's not very strong so If i havn't got something flat to put against the back stuff can poke me, put that can be solved by better packing on my part.
WWB

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE