Canvas material supplier

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Yep saw that too,wonder what it looks like in the flesh so to speak, i know im a fussy bu**er just looks quite bottle greeny in that pic,this being my ideal colour

http://store.uktarps.co.uk/index.php?controller=category&path=42
just seems a shame to cut up a good tarp thats why id rather go for the material as first choice,tarp as second.

Question for Toddy or anyone else if they can answer what would be the best thread for making this waxed linen? other?
thanks.

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'll give them a bell tomorrow mate and see if I can pick up a sample. I might be able to see some other choices while I'm there too.
I wonder if there was enough interest that they might do a darker run for us ?

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers Rich be interested in hearing what they say,what new canoe you getting?Tony mentioned it last time i spoke to him,and i just saw you mention it in Dannys post.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Cheers Rich be interested in hearing what they say,what new canoe you getting?Tony mentioned it last time i spoke to him,and i just saw you mention it in Dannys post.

A Nova Craft Bob Special bud, at 15ft it's a tad bigger than my Pack (which I've sold :() but still manageable solo. It'll let me get Carol out and about with me a bit more too, should be a good summer I think :)

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Sound's ideal, yep looks like you got summer sorted,i really need to get something for the water again living so near its a sin not to.Hope to see some pics of your new craft at a later date.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Thanks littlebiglane, i do prefer there 15oz cotton duck but its plenty wonga!,rather than the poly/cotton mix, i want to be able to lie do near(not next to) a fire so thick heavy duty cotton is a must.
Liam ive been slaving all day breakfast lunch and dinner,for the boss and a wee drinky tonight.

http://www.protectivetextile.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=29 £4.70 a metre (3ft wide) for 15oz cotton duck sounds alright? Non?

LBL

nickg

Settler
May 4, 2005
Chatham
Andy

Im trying to raise interest on a bulk offer of lightweight ventile cotton it is the equivalent of 4.25oz cotton and would work out at £13.00 per meter 1.5m wide in a natural/sand colour - at the moment I have about 6m length up for grabs and used double may be just the thing - pm me if youre interested
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54044

Cheers
Nick

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Nick ive see your post, and did think about it but im not sure ventile would be best for this, never used it myself but i think(could be wrong) that a heavier weight canvas would be best, well for the base at least,as it would need to stand up to some serious abuse,my main area of use would be a beach,which ranges from okay sand to really course almost fine pebbles,rocks and various drift wood and other debris.Thanks though for the offer.

Littlebiglane protectivetextiles were quick to reply and are sending me samples will let you know what they are like once i recieve them.
thanks everyone for the help.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers David, im still in the researching stange, trying to sort material's threads,fastening,so all help gratefully recieved,the only thing i have for sure as of yet is the design which im gonig to rip off the ww2 bedroll.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I've just got that sample through from Whaleys Andy, it's a bit in your face green rather than subtle and stealthy. I've asked them about doing a darker run for us but they've not come back with anything yet.
It's certainly good solid stuff though.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers for passing info on Rich,maybe if it got a thornproof waxing it would look better i know when i did my jacket it went a good few shades darker? im still waiting for my samples to arrive may have to email them again to see what's happening, ive thought through a few more ideas and i think im going to go along with a basic canvas envelope design with a button in or lace in blanket liner.

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
Cheers for that Rich some ideas to work on but mine will be a slightly simpler design, i wonder if the canvas supplier is a trade secret? im just hoping my sewing machine will be up to it.

Waldganger

Forager
Aug 13, 2009
Esperance, WA
I stopped in at a upholsterer (Esperance Trim and Canvas) and asked them, they sent me to another upholsterer and they said I could buy some fabric from them.

It'd be heavy duty vehicle stuff, but its worth looking.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE