Canvas/Leather Rucksack recommendations

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I'm very happy with my Alder Stream canvas pack. Again not a cheap option, but super quality.

rg598

Native
I'm with Rick and Dave on this one. Current manufacturers are hard to find because the packs are just not very practical. No matter which one you get they will be largely a fashion statement. A canvas pack with no frame and hip belt will not be nearly as comfortable as a modern pack. Some of the modern canvas packs try to solve some of the problems by incorporating modern designs, but they are still far behind. If on the other hand you are trying to recreate the equipment of a particular historical period, then you need to look at vintage and surplus gear.

Whilst modern packs may be more ergonomic and have more features they ain't got the soul or feel a good canvas pack has.
Perhaps for trekking many miles they aren't suitable but for an amble or fixed camp they're much nicer in my humble.
It's horses for courses really.
Pimpin a pack is a good way to get a decent pack at a reasonable price I reckon.
And it gives it the individuals stamp as well

Juggernaut

May 16, 2013
Scarborough
www.yorkknife.co.uk
I've been after a similar canvas pack, without spending Duluth type money. The wynnchester site has some nice reconditioned 50's Swiss canvas leather ruck sacks that caught my eye...BUT THEIR PRICES ARE CRAZY.

If anyone knows the actual model of the vintage ruck sacks in the pics below so I or anyone else could buy and recondition myself, I'm sure it would answer the OP's question (and mine)

The first one has a roll too which I find very attractive as you can alter the pack size.

The second one is more conventional but just as nice.... Just not £150 nice when they probably cost &10am as surplus, I realise some effort went in to em waxing and feeding the leather but nothing anyone couldn't do surely.

Any input in the models of ruck sack? I've got an LK35 but way something a bit more rustic

Hope this has been of some help to the OP.
Luke

sausage100uk

Settler
May 4, 2013
United Kingdom
M39 rucksacks are good, i took the frame off mine and customised the straps
64b9903158ad6a11ef2a1bb86760980d.jpg

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I've been after a similar canvas pack, without spending Duluth type money. The wynnchester site has some nice reconditioned 50's Swiss canvas leather ruck sacks that caught my eye...BUT THEIR PRICES ARE CRAZY.

If anyone knows the actual model of the vintage ruck sacks in the pics below so I or anyone else could buy and recondition myself, I'm sure it would answer the OP's question (and mine)

Luke

Now, I LIKE that! Haven't made myself a rucksack for a couple of years now and it's given me the itch. Might just have to make myself one of those.:)

As for the OP - have you thought of knocking one up yourself? Not as hard as it looks.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
i've just bought a fjallraven Stubben, made from their g1000 canvas and leather trim. the bonus for me is it also doubles as a seat.
it looks great and is very comfortable and practical.
Ok, it's not your traditional style but i've found it a great compromise between practicality, traditional looks, comfort and being able to have a dry bum at lunch time.
Maybe worth a look.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE