Canvas Bucket

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ekdog

Dec 13, 2009
Seville, Spain
Hi. Newbie here. I've been lurking for a while. Great site.

I was wondering if someone might know where I could get a small canvas bucket for carrying water and washing up with. I figure I could use it to carry my Bush Buddy stove and Snow Peak 900 pot in, too. The stove and pot pack together and are a little less than five inches tall.

I've looked around both here in Seville and on the internet, but I haven't been able to find what I'm looking for. I'd like to find a green one, if possible, and one that isn't too much bigger than my pot.

Do any of you carry such a bucket? Any idea where I might be able to acquire one?

Thanks for any help you might be able to give me.

Ek

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Hello and welcome!
I have just made a canvas bucket out of two circles of old tent fabric...almost the same design as a large beret type hat or "Bunnet" but with a cord handle instead of a chinstap!
See my avatar for the general look...
I am not sure if this is what you are after - but it is spill proof!

Ekdog

Dec 13, 2009
Seville, Spain
That's an idea, although my sewing skills are rather suspect. I might be able to recruit my wife for help if I don't find a surplus bucket.

By the way, did you know that a ten-gallon hat only holds about 3/4 gallon?

A ten gallon hat does not hold ten gallons (unless you have an exceptionally large head). The gallon in "ten gallon hat" derives from the Spanish galón meaning braid. So a ten-gallon hat is a hat with a braiding around the brim. A ten-gallon hat holds 3/4 gallon or 3 quarts.

http://tinyurl.com/y9o6hpx

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
That's an idea, although my sewing skills are rather suspect. I might be able to recruit my wife for help if I don't find a surplus bucket.

By the way, did you know that a ten-gallon hat only holds about 3/4 gallon?

A ten gallon hat does not hold ten gallons (unless you have an exceptionally large head). The gallon in "ten gallon hat" derives from the Spanish galón meaning braid. So a ten-gallon hat is a hat with a braiding around the brim. A ten-gallon hat holds 3/4 gallon or 3 quarts.

http://tinyurl.com/y9o6hpx

Yup - knew that :D

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Now I'm a great fan of canvas buckets for all sorts of things but I would seriously think about using one for washing up in.

Firstly you'll find it almost impossible to get the grease out and secondly it will then contaminate everything else you carry in it.

If you really want to wash up in it I would consider a vinyl one instead.

Ekdog

Dec 13, 2009
Seville, Spain
Now I'm a great fan of canvas buckets for all sorts of things but I would seriously think about using one for washing up in.

Firstly you'll find it almost impossible to get the grease out and secondly it will then contaminate everything else you carry in it.

If you really want to wash up in it I would consider a vinyl one instead.

Those are good points, Wayland. I'll have to rethink this.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I wash up when I get home - actually the kitchen fairies normally do it :) in the field the pot is usually wiped clean and then used to boil water for a drink...I get some interesting flavoured drinks though....and my spork is sucked clean!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE