Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
I forgot to mention the spare pocket on the strap side.

Canvas_Crusader.jpg

I've found that there is room for another fair sized pouch which sits behind the head but does not get in the way at all.

Because it is hangs over the shoulders it actually seems to improve the load dynamics when in use. Very handy.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I forgot to mention the spare pocket on the strap side.

Canvas_Crusader.jpg

I've found that there is room for another fair sized pouch which sits behind the head but does not get in the way at all.

Because it is hangs over the shoulders it actually seems to improve the load dynamics when in use. Very handy.
Yon bloke who was the first to walk around the coast of Britain (Merrill?) used to carry hir tent in that position - for the same reasons....

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
What a great thread!!!

Old bergans, and SLR's. And not one foto of the 58 large pack, thankfully.

I'd saved up my hard earned as a poor squaddie in the late 80's and bought a Vulcan, sold it years later (fool)...

I got an S85 from Rabbitsmacker recently, but swayed by sentimentality and a retro phase I'm going through, I swapped it with Steve48 for a Vulcan.

Thanks both of you.

I've still got my butyl nylon GS bergan, a step up from the 58 but I'm so happy to be using a Vulcan again.

Great thread lads, thanks.

Liam

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
hiyam was wondering how you were getting on, well, as long as all the dealing has been done and everyones square i reckon is the way. i have an old crusader and i can see what all the fuss is about and am not surprised they still have a following.
What a great thread!!!

Old bergans, and SLR's. And not one foto of the 58 large pack, thankfully.

I'd saved up my hard earned as a poor squaddie in the late 80's and bought a Vulcan, sold it years later (fool)...

I got an S85 from Rabbitsmacker recently, but swayed by sentimentality and a retro phase I'm going through, I swapped it with Steve48 for a Vulcan.

Thanks both of you.

I've still got my butyl nylon GS bergan, a step up from the 58 but I'm so happy to be using a Vulcan again.

Great thread lads, thanks.

Liam

Steve13

Native
May 24, 2008
Bolton
hiyam was wondering how you were getting on, well, as long as all the dealing has been done and everyones square i reckon is the way. i have an old crusader and i can see what all the fuss is about and am not surprised they still have a following.

As Liam said I am well pleased with my new sack, cant beleive how light it is , the old Vulcan is still a good sack though IMO just a bit heavy for my old bones now

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
what a convoluted web we weave! you were just pipped to the post on it originally weren't you? i'd have swapped for a vulcan myself! if it had been a size 4 that is. lol

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
As Liam said I am well pleased with my new sack, cant beleive how light it is , the old Vulcan is still a good sack though IMO just a bit heavy for my old bones now

The PLCE bergan (120L) I was issued the other year was heavy even when empty. The Vulcan's an old friend TBH and although I walked about six miles with it today, felt very comfy.

Cheers

Liam

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Weight isn't everything with a pack, a pack is often the only companion I have on a trail, so I want something that has a bit of "soul" as it were.

Although synthetics are often practical, light and such like, I've never found a bit of plastic that even remotely has soul.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Weight isn't everything with a pack, a pack is often the only companion I have on a trail, so I want something that has a bit of "soul" as it were.

Although synthetics are often practical, light and such like, I've never found a bit of plastic that even remotely has soul.
My feelings exactly across so much of my kit selection!
Soul counts!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
That's why so much of my kit gets reverted or converted to old school or so called "primitive" solutions.

Although practicality always has to be a major consideration, I will usually prefer something with "soul" providing it works at least, or even nearly, as well as some plastic contrivance. In many cases the natural solutions actually work better and have only been replaced because modern gear is sometimes lighter or in most cases is cheaper to manufacture.

daniel caola

Jul 31, 2011
london
Not yet mate used the pathfinder last weekend ,

Today we have another lowe alpine pack part of the series of packs made for the Dutch Military the Saracen on issue to the Dutch Marines and Air mobile , big pack 100 litres main and two 10 litre side poochs ,

Modeled by Dave Muddy boots known as young Indiana for some reason :)

Picture009.jpg

Molle straps on the main pack ,
Picture011.jpg

Adjustable back system ,
Picture010.jpg

Zip off side poochs to make a patrol pack ,
Picture012.jpg

Very handy large top pooch with zips at both ends ,
Picture013.jpg

Foating lid and straps for under lid storage
Picture014.jpg

Pocket on the base of main pooch , handy for bivi poles
Picture016.jpg

Zipped base for light gear i.e Sleeping bag at base of pack ,
Picture017.jpg

Saracen and Pathfinder
Picture018.jpg

Saracen , Pathfinder and K9s high milage Vulcan :)

This Saracen was brought by Dave from Endicotts , nice one mate :)
Twodogs

Is that a Berghaus Kang he's wearing?

jones71

Dec 16, 2011
wales
Hello Everyone.

While searching for some info on my newest Berghaus Bergan i came accross this article,found it fantastic so thought i would join.
I am mainly a militaria collector(on a very tight budget) and do not as such collect Bergens per se but as they fit into my collection i do own a few and as an added bonus of course is that they are practical items to use on a regular basis so fit in with the collecting and a practical use.

From memory(without checking various boxes) what i have Begren wise is--

US-Couple of Alice Packs-large and medium including an early dated one,Vietnam issue Tropical,Lightweight and Arvn rucks.

British Army Issue-2xWW2 style canvas Commando type Bergens(60s dated),2 OG PLCE Bergens and one DPM.

Berghaus-2 Cyclops Rocs,1 Munro and my latest buy(this week) a MINT complete in every way Cyclops Crusader.

My camera isnt the best but if anyone is interested in seeing any pics i will be happy to sort some out.

Many Thanks.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE