Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
ohhh, someones been on a spending spree! looks good! i'm about to hit the hill in the lakes with my 1984 vintage crusader! cost a total of 2 quid to get the belt fixed and attached the new buckle sent by berghaus. was a tough decision whether to take the karrimor s85 of crusader. just felt the shoulder straps were a bit more comfortable on the berg as they were longer. but both will get some good usage i'm sure!

Last edited:

johnboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Whip the Side pooches off of the DPM Crusader... If the Zip is in the same oirentation as the New Crusader then PLCE will not fit the right way up.

The Zips on the New Crusader should be #10 visilon I think the Old Crusader used #8 visilons.

Cheers

John

shaggystu

Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
thought i'd get involved in the thread with some photo's of my karrimor jaguar of unknown vintage

21l1thl.jpg

SA back system
65ophg.jpg

2ij3gxc.jpg

i picked it up from a car boot sale for £15 iirc, needed a little bit of mending (involving some pieces of chopping board and old playstation) but it's been a great bag so far.

stuart

stuart

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
thought i'd get involved in the thread with some photo's of my karrimor jaguar of unknown vintage

21l1thl.jpg

SA back system
65ophg.jpg

2ij3gxc.jpg

i picked it up from a car boot sale for £15 iirc, needed a little bit of mending (involving some pieces of chopping board and old playstation) but it's been a great bag so far.

stuart

stuart

WOW! thats a great looking pack, looks in pretty good nick too,..I doubt the new karrimor sabres will hold up as good as these "older " models......... I've not seen a waist belt like that before...thanks for posting.

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
gents i keep comeing back to this thread i just love it . brings back memorys, but would like to ask is the vulcan a worth while buy i have tried most bergans and being 6,1 cant get on with most so im currently using a plce bergan and im tempted to go for a vulcan. i to grew up with survival aids and such,and join the army when we still had 58....horrible stuf.. thanks.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
The Vulcan is fantastic as long as you have the right size , very comfy and very well made or look at the new Berghaus crusader that will replace the Vulcan in time .
( Just so happens that Im selling a new Crusader in the sales part of the forum :) )

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
gents i keep comeing back to this thread i just love it . brings back memorys, but would like to ask is the vulcan a worth while buy i have tried most bergans and being 6,1 cant get on with most so im currently using a plce bergan and im tempted to go for a vulcan. i to grew up with survival aids and such,and join the army when we still had 58....horrible stuf.. thanks.

Yep, the vulcan is a very worth while buy, pratically everyone who uses one, has only good things to say about it....it has been tried & tested over the years ( both military & civvy) & always comes up trumps. The new crusader ( I personally don't like it) has yet to earn it's medals & with the current manufacturing ethos of cutting corners to save money, this may be a risky buy.......time will tell...also don't hesitate looking for a second hand one,like all good things, they improve with age.& if in good condition will be as sound as when it left the factory.............they come in 4 sizes (1 to 4) but do measure your back as there are short people with long backs & tall people with short ones...........

Last edited:

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
SA back system
65ophg.jpg

2ij3gxc.jpg

Thats interesting....

Your Jaguar seems to have a bit of a hybrid back system..

The waist belt is SA 7000 but the Shoulder straps are the older SA type..

The full SA 7000 system looks like this...

IMG_0041.jpg

Very very comfy but a bit prone to breakage by all accounts... Looking at the clips and the SA 7000 waist belt I'd date the bergen to the mid 90's...

Last edited:

shovel reccy

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
cambridge
i had a look at the crusader and dont think its for me. defo going with the vulcan worked out its a size 4 for me 6,1. thanks for all the halp chaps.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
i had a look at the crusader and dont think its for me. defo going with the vulcan worked out its a size 4 for me 6,1. thanks for all the halp chaps.

And the size 4 has a 100 litre main capacity ( not including the side pockets) the same as your PLCE bergen so you won't have to dramatically change your packing routine/order.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Thats interesting....

Your Jaguar seems to have a bit of a hybrid back system..

The waist belt is SA 7000 but the Shoulder straps are the older SA type..

The full SA 7000 system looks like this...

IMG_0041.jpg

Very very comfy but a bit prone to breakage by all accounts... Looking at the clips and the SA 7000 waist belt I'd date the bergen to the mid 90's...

Yuk! that blue monstrosity ( can't believe it's a karrimor) looks like some cheap kid's space ruck from a supermarket........did they really sell many of these ?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE