Canvas Berghaus Crusader

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
hiya, hmmm, didn't realise the pouches were incompatiable on crusader, well, that gives me something to trawl the web, ebay and surplus shops for! dating the bergen was easy, just walked over and asked her her name with a drink in my hand! lol sorry, couldn't resist!
easy peazy, label is still very clear and attached insdie the snow lock. here it is below...

berglabel.jpg

its had a very thorough bath this afternoon and is looking a bit better!

Mines circa 1984 too.:lmao:

My first crusader was also. As far as pouches go for that one I bought the PLCE ones with the yoke second hand from Springfields for £18. Then a pair of old broken british army canvas gaters for £1, and swapped the zips. They then fit your crusader. They're even almost the same length. Check zips first though to make sure they are the older type and that if broken its the material not the zip. :)

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Here is another bit of information about the LA/Vector Commando.
This guy (http://www.fianoglach.ie/unithistory.html) says that the pack was part designed by the Irish SF.

Quote- " Contacts were made with a local Irish firm to design and manufacture and load carrying pack with a detachable waist belt with extra pouches for ammunition and room for the rangers secondary weapon" (sic).

I can't vouch for the veracity of his statement but LA's factory in Tullamore is only a 30 minute drive from their home barracks and the DOD would want to support local industry.
Happy trails...torc.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
Yep Old (mk 2) and New (mk 3) Bergbuckles will work if mixed... :)

The original mk 1 Bergbuckle will not work with the later buckles...

HTH

John

just got the bergbuckle in the post, it is a later black one they have sent but as you said clips straight into the older female part on the waistband! result! dead impressed with that service.

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Not yet mate used the pathfinder last weekend ,

Today we have another lowe alpine pack part of the series of packs made for the Dutch Military the Saracen on issue to the Dutch Marines and Air mobile , big pack 100 litres main and two 10 litre side poochs ,

Modeled by Dave Muddy boots known as young Indiana for some reason :)

Picture009.jpg

Molle straps on the main pack ,
Picture011.jpg

Adjustable back system ,
Picture010.jpg

Zip off side poochs to make a patrol pack ,
Picture012.jpg

Very handy large top pooch with zips at both ends ,
Picture013.jpg

Foating lid and straps for under lid storage
Picture014.jpg

Pocket on the base of main pooch , handy for bivi poles
Picture016.jpg

Zipped base for light gear i.e Sleeping bag at base of pack ,
Picture017.jpg

Saracen and Pathfinder
Picture018.jpg

Saracen , Pathfinder and K9s high milage Vulcan :)

This Saracen was brought by Dave from Endicotts , nice one mate :)
Twodogs

Last edited:

sasquatch

Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
It's great to see this thread still going strong, thanks to everybody sharing their bergen pics!

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
One for the era and appropriate for the large ALICE...Police - "King of Pain"!

Here is my only surplus ruck...
DSCN1012.jpg

The rucksack and I'm guessing about 25 liters. You can add pouches if wanted. Internal hydro bladder pocket, sewn-in equipment tie down straps, the integral external pocket has a draw cord and an inner pocket w / velcro flap.
DSCN0990.jpg

The shoulder straps and sternum strap.
DSCN0994.jpg

The wearer's right side.
DSCN0992.jpg

The left view.
DSCN0997.jpg

Top back view. The shoulder straps can be placed in two locations, carrying handle, lashing straps and the clam shell zip pulls.
DSCN0999.jpg

Left side view with pouches removed exposes the PALS webbing. The cover for the aerial whip / drink tube port is opened.
DSCN1001.jpg

The bottom of the ruck with drain holes and lash points.
DSCN1003.jpg

Gordy

nolightweight

Jun 16, 2009
East Midlands
Nice one, Gordy.

Do you use it much?

I've had a couple of items made by Speciality Defence Systems and they were very well made. Messed around with the Hellcat mod Alice/Molle II pack for a short while.

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
MrEd - To me, it is about the same comfort wise, as the other day packs I own. I like it.

Neil - I have used it on all of my deer hunting trips in the last four years. Our deer seasons start in early October and run through December. I use it heavily during that time frame but not much otherwise.

Gordy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Hi ALICE fans....

Well I went and climbed Mt Ngauruhoe on Sunday for a bit of a leg stretch...

I saw this bloke on the way.... He seems like an ALICE fan as well.

IMG_1174.jpg

IMG_1175.jpg

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Johnboy - Good piccy of the medium ALICE without frame. That setup is actually very good and was made to allow attachment of the shoulder straps to the pack, minus the frame. I used this setup in all of my ROTC / pre-commissioning training and liked it. The large ALICE had no way to attach the shoulder straps to the pack, minus the frame. I'll keep my eye out for a medium ALICE without frame, at the gun show this coming weekend.

Gordy

johnboy

Oct 2, 2003
Hamilton NZ
www.facebook.com
Johnboy - Good piccy of the medium ALICE without frame. That setup is actually very good and was made to allow attachment of the shoulder straps to the pack, minus the frame. I used this setup in all of my ROTC / pre-commissioning training and liked it. The large ALICE had no way to attach the shoulder straps to the pack, minus the frame. I'll keep my eye out for a medium ALICE without frame, at the gun show this coming weekend.

Gordy

Thanks Gordy,

The guy using it seemed happy enough... His choice of clothing colous made him blend into the surrounding terrain quite well. Sand / Green for the tussock and rocks and the grey top matches the Tephra and Volcanic sand quite well...

I'm banking on him being a US visitor to NZ. The Merrells and the pack give it away. The NZ Army never issued the medium ALICE especially not a US marked one and they are hard to find here as surplus. Also that model of Merrell Shoe is not that common in NZ either...

All good fun...

Cheers

John

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE