Canoemans Snack( Lots photos)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

dboles

This isnt a recipe only a short story with photos
I have been paddling quite a bit lately.Usually I throw out a line while travelling.The other day I was catching Kokanee,they are a landlocked sockeye salmon.This years fish seem to be on the small side.Kakanee have a 4 year life cycle the ones I caught and released will breed this fall and die.Spawning til you die has been suggested as a fine way to go out,works for the Kokanee I guess.
One poor fish was gill hooked.He must have took a swing at my lure and got hooked bad So I decided to cook him
bushman004-1.jpg

A fire was made on the beach the tea ketlle on a rock next to the flames.It takes a bit longer to boil but I can leave the pot unattended its an older one given to me by a friend and I do not want to melt off the spout
bushman008.jpg

While the fire was burning I trimmed a forked alder,pulled back the forest floor moss and grabbed some smaller diametet spruce root.The harvesting and the location I was at is Remote Crown land
bushman009.jpg

The green leaves were cast onto the fire to smoke the fish a bit and get rid of the leaves
The view while cooking
bushman012.jpg

Done
bushman013.jpg

Waiting to cool
bushman014.jpg

bushman016.jpg

My paddling partner gets her share the head and tail
bushman017.jpg

In my rigging sack I carry a small mixed container of pepper and salt
While poking about the woods I noticed a ruffed grouse sneak off,she tried to lure me off and a short search found her nest under a pine tree
bushman019.jpg

We cook fish like this when we catch them while paddling
Dan'l

fishy1

Banned
Nov 29, 2007
sneck
That looks a nice area, do the salmon still migrate to one of your big lakes or do they just hang about in the same area?

I haven't cooked salmon in that way, I normally crucify it (pin the filleted fish out on two crossed sticks) or pin the fillet to a piece of birch and cook that way.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Your fish lookes almost edible!

(says she who is indifferent to salmon, except the tinned...but most ordinary fish here is farmed...the tinned is wild.)

Nicolas

Forager
Jun 2, 2008
Dublin
my god I'm jealous, we in Ireland are pretty spoiled when it comes down to beautiful sceneries, but oh man that is nice + you have a dog, we both my wife and myself want a dog bad, but we just got married apartment is a bit small and she has a dog back in Latvia (mini Schnauzer).

A little bit off topic but I had a friend who had a Jack Russel (smartest dogs) he took him rabbit hunting, the little guy was small but fierce.
So since the grass was too high he had to lift him up and show him the rabbit, as soon as you pick him up he would go real quite because he knows he's supposed to look for rabbits, and as soon as he saw the rabbit he go apea**** (just moving a lot) so you simply let him go, don't even put him back to the ground just let go :D
He went off like a rocket, chances were every now and than he surprised the rabbit and actually got him :D

Funniest thing I ever saw

Humpback

On a new journey
Dec 10, 2006
1/4 mile from Bramley End.
Dan'l
Interesting thread.
Could I trouble you to describe the kit/rig, please? What line and strength. Do you use a rod or just attach to the canoe. What lure and lead, that sort of thing.
Much obliged
Alan

D

dboles

fishy1 the Kokanee stay in the rivers and Lakes For whatever reason these do not migrate to the salt water.They live their entire short life in freshwater.This fall they will turn red around end of August head upstream just like other salmon spawn and die.
Allan the fishing rig is a lightweight spinning rod with 8lb test mono lineThis time of year we fish spoons and plugs near the surface as the water is still cold enough the fish are near the top.
We cook smaller fish this way.Larger fish get filleted like a butterfly and spread open.
Heres a picture of another fish a small Dolly Varden(.Dickens fans will reconize the name)
IMG_0015-1.jpg

They grow to 20lbs+ around here this one was thrown back

IMG_0009-1.jpg

You can see the fishing rod in this picture
Dan'l

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
That's cool because that how things should be :D Thanks for the pictures and i was excited to see that you're from Revelstoke, I think that's a great place and i've thought more than once of moving there :D

You're in a lovely part of the world and it's great that you can catch, sit on the shore, cook and eat.

I'm going to move this to the fair game forum ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE