canoe building, fiberglassing resin help!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
hi everyone, im building a plywood canoe and have got all the materials but have just realised i have bought polyester instead of epoxy resin:banghead:

can it be used in the same way as epoxy? like with fiberglass fabric tape, woodflour glue and fillet?
i know they used to use polyester so it must be posable but are the same methods used?

please say yes...

thanks
pete

veryWildbill

Nomad
Aug 15, 2010
west sussex
Hi Pete, use it exactly as you would epoxy resin. Some say it's not as strong as a good epoxy, and they'r probably right. I wouldnt use it for a sizable boat but for a canoe I would have no qualms at all, it would be more than up to the job.

Bill

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Polyester resin is fine. Its not quite as strong as epoxy, but is much easier to sand down. It is still stronger than wood, dont worry.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I used Poly for mine - after about 15 years use I sold the canoe as the ply had started to rot (the buyer knew this :) ) - the glassing was still great!
The canoe had been used for guiding - some times on a daily basis - on salt water and on white-water up to grade 3 and I only sprung a tape join once - when I almost wiped out on Mill Falls on the Usk..... :)

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
thanks guys! i was really worrying last night, i meen epoxy is expensive but polyester aint cheep either!

Photo document your progress! We'd love to see it. I've always wanted to build a canoe

yes i am planning to:) i have just been marking and cutting the plywood so far but i will be working on it more today

pete

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE