Candles problem?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
I have several candle lanterns but have recently got hold of my ultimate 'want' which is the Stonebridge lantern. Sadly I was disappointed to find out it does not take a household candle (which are cheap as chips and plentiful). It seems to favour an UCO candle though but as I have an UCO lantern and stopped using it because of the expense of the candles that is not much good to me. Can anyone point out to me a decent candle that is fairly priced and is roughly UCO sized? The lantern has much more leeway than an UCO lantern when it comes to sizing but needs to be broadly similar.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
My Stonebridge takes standard candles. I have to cut down the length by an inch or so but the clip on the floor of the lantern holds standard household candles fine.

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Really? Mine does not even come close to that. I am not worried about the hight but my springy bit is pretty much splayed out and has only a small amount of give. You would not happen to have a picture you could upload have you as I wonder if mine is not right then?

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
For my uco I use tapered "dinner table" candles. Mostly because I can get a big box of em cheap
Anyway, I chop the bottom end off where its thicker for the uco and use the top halves on there own when i'm hot tenting and such like

May be of some help to ya?

Bindle

Tenderfoot
Oct 10, 2014
The Mendips
How much light does a UCO candle lantern give out? I understand, and being an old romantic, I enjoy the nice light of a candle, but I don't want to spend much on one of them as no-one I know has one! Are they worth the money?

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
My Stonebridge takes standard candles. I have to cut down the length by an inch or so but the clip on the floor of the lantern holds standard household candles fine.

Same with mine, it'll take standard household candles no problem....if I have fatter ones I shave then down rather than bend the holder open which may be what's been done to yours.....or maybe it just came like that, who knows.

I agree with Steve, carefully bend the holder smaller and see how you go :) If you're really not sure then I can text or email you a pic of mine, I just don't do posting pics on here :)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Don't know if it's much help, but you can buy 'candle cups' or 'candle grips' which are really just kind of thick tinfoil that's corrugated like cake cases. The candle base fits into them and they fit snugly into the candle holder that is otherwise too large.

http://www.thecandleselection.co.uk/bolsius-candles-aluminium-foil-candle-grips-fittings

I have the Uco lanterns, and I like them. They're solid, easy to take apart (I have some of the cheapo brass versions that were sold on ebay for a bit, and they're a footer if the wax gets in among the spring, but otherwise just as good) and they really do burn for 9 hours.....if you use the right candles.

cheers,
Toddy

presterjohn

Settler
Apr 13, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the replies guys. I do wonder if something is wrong with mine as it just does not seem to have the give in it to clamp down any smaller than an UCO candle. I do have an UCO mini, an UCO and a Bushlite but have always had a soft spot for the design of the Stonebridge Lantern. The one I purchased was a second hand one though and it makes me wonder if it has a fault or it really could just be me not seeing the wood for the trees on how to fit a candle into it. Occasionally the obvious does not sink in with me. I will have to post a picture on of it and perhaps one of you can tell me if it is wrong or which bit I should be pressing etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE