Candle Lanterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Hi

I have a couple of canoe trips coming up in September and October along loch tay and then down river to Perth and then a few days on Loch Awe.

Been looking at a candle lantern for camping each night and just wondered what the general consensus on them was?

Andy

Albus Culter

Maker
Jan 14, 2013
West Yorkshire
Love my Uco lantern. Recently got a mini Uco too so I can use tea lights as well.

Give great background light and add 'warmth', but no substitute for a nice torch when going for a pee!

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Love my Eltrex, takes UCO candles, tea lights and also has a parafin burner insert. Bit hard to get hold of but a great little lantern...

2b04ae11-711a-4c89-b2a5-5bb204aa9089_zpsd1c4b00f.jpg
e9286661-647e-4d90-93d6-1aef5e2003da_zpsba0621aa.jpg

I have the UCO Lantern with the Flat Pack Down Reflector and the LED Base

I Love it, the reflector doesn't really reflect to much light back, but it does cut down on the light pollution.
If you have the UCO then the LED Light really is a must, it takes up no extra space and doesn't add any noticeable weight.
Its a removable separate LED Light that can be clipped anywhere, and its really bright.

Whenever weight isn't an issue such as when I have my car I pack mine, You can use Beeswax candles which I also use to maintain my leather sheath.

Although I don't use mine every time I got out, I wouldn't be without it.

I got mine from >>>>>>>>>>> Here <<<<<<<<<<< I also have the Neoprene Case for it >>>>>>>>>>> Here <<<<<<<<<<<

wales1

Aug 3, 2011
dumfriesshire
I have a brass uco candle lantern I take on my kayak camping trips. Compact and great. The candles burn all night with no mess. Not super bright, but certainly sufficient. Can't beat the glow of a candle.... Who wants some million candle power lantern just for chilling at the loch side anyway :)

Steve

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I have a few of the old Northern Lights lanterns. (what they were cried afore they became UCO.)
I have the oil lamp inserts and as long as you keep the wicks trimmed there's no smoke or soot. You also like with the candles get a bit of heat that you don't get with an LED insert. Perfect for a small shelter or snowhole. Also as stated the light is nicer to read and chill to than a white glare of an LED. You can also keep stuff warm in a small pan, Sierra cup. In fact you can even make a hot drink or cook an egg that way too. :D

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
Many thanks for all the info and suggestions, the forum comes through as always. I pressed the button on the eco standard last night without the led, as one of the reasons for looking at them was I wanted a soft, warm light.

Thanks again for the help.

Andy

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
Many thanks for all the info and suggestions, the forum comes through as always. I pressed the button on the eco standard last night without the led, as one of the reasons for looking at them was I wanted a soft, warm light.

Thanks again for the help.

Andy
Good choice fella . A candle illuminates the darkness and a bulb eliminates it:)

Scots_Charles_River

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 12, 2006
paddling a loch
www.flickr.com
As u will be wet or damp from canoeing, the candle is lovely to warm up your tent. And my decathlon bionassay tent has a mesh shelf high up so t shirts etc and socks can dry out with the candle. You can get 10hr candles that fit it so longer lasting than the uco candles.

Biggest risk is it falling over or it burning he cord you hang it with. I use a plug chain extender so it's above my sleepin bag but well below the tent roof.

andibs

Forager
Jan 27, 2012
S. Yorks
As u will be wet or damp from canoeing, the candle is lovely to warm up your tent. And my decathlon bionassay tent has a mesh shelf high up so t shirts etc and socks can dry out with the candle. You can get 10hr candles that fit it so longer lasting than the uco candles.

Biggest risk is it falling over or it burning he cord you hang it with. I use a plug chain extender so it's above my sleepin bag but well below the tent roof.

I'm wet and damp already thanks to a slight misjudgement kayaking at the Tees Barrage today!!

Andy

GrizzlyGrant

Jul 18, 2015
Wales
For the owners of a uco regualr sized -
the citronella candles- do they really keep the bugs at bay? just looking at a lantern/sleeve and candle set online and have the choice of citronella or beesewax long life candles.. opinions on which to go for?

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not so much a lantern but I got my mate a nice American civil war style polished tin candle box for his Christmas. (Easy to make but I got it from Civil War Sutler). Doesn't take up much space, reflects light where you need it and is a pretty cool thing.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
For the owners of a uco regualr sized -
the citronella candles- do they really keep the bugs at bay? just looking at a lantern/sleeve and candle set online and have the choice of citronella or beesewax long life candles.. opinions on which to go for?
I've tried the citronella candles, I cant say that I have noticed any difference, I still buy them, when it comes to Midges anything helps even if its just a psychological effect. I have the UCO original, the only reason I carry 3 spare candles is that's the size of the box they come in, but one of my spares is always a Beeswax job, the beeswax is very handy for lots of other jobs. The original UCO lamp also has a nice accessory upgrade, a small LED light that fits in the base. Head lamps and torches are fine when you need to do stuff but quite harsh sometimes but sitting in a bothy with a candle or two is just a grand experience. One thing is for sure, you cant fall asleep staring into a torch.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE