Can we wild camp in Elan Valley, Wales?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Sep 1, 2015
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm planning a 2 night trip in October. We'd like to wild camp in as a remote a wood as we can find in the Elan Valley in Wales as it is a dark sky reserve and we want to stargaze at night.

We also want to set up a camp over 2 days and improve it and practice camp craft.

There'll be about 5 of us and we're all respectful of the environment and would leave no trace.

However, some of the group are worried about a ranger findng us and moving us on, essentially killing our weekend as we wont have time to move to a new, unknown location outside ela, find a spot and set up camp again.

Has anyone wild camped in Elan? Can anyone e comment on the likelihood of being moved on?

Thanks

bearbait

Welcome to BCUK.

Googling "elan valley wild camping" will get you some info.

Sunset is early in October. Suggest you get all your admin done and everything cleared away before dark. Makes life much easier.

General principles for wild camping where not permitted are arrive late, leave early, make no noise or light.

Maybe try a regular campsite in or around EV, perhaps where fires are permitted?

bopdude

Feb 19, 2013
Stockton on Tees
I don't know of any site specific differences in Wales, but as far as I know wild camping isn't 'legal' you pays your money you takes your chance.

Brynglas

Much of the Elan Valley is owned by Severn Trent Water. I've camped and bivvvies up in the area many times over the years and never had a problem. There are a couple of very good bothies dotted around the area as well.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

wingstoo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 12, 2005
South Marches
The official line used to be a definite no, A huge number of years ago we asked as we were having a fishing weekend but had to use a place just before the reservoirs that is now a B&B.

I somehow doubt that they would be wanting to play hide and seek with anyone who is being discreet about it though.

I spent a night up there last week to try some night photography, results were rubbish but we were half a mile up a track in the truck and not causing any problems with stoves or tents.

It is pretty wild up there at the best of times, but if you avoid roads and stick to the by-ways and bridleways I am sure you will be OK.

rw176d.jpg

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Not a lot of woodland in the Elan valley that's why it's sometimes referred to as the Green Desert.
There are some bothy's in the area where you could pitch up near or use if the weather is bad that may suit your needs. Luest-Cwm-Bach is the closest to civilisation, Claerwen & Claerddu 'wilderness huts' are a bit further out into the boonies and you'll need to get permission from the estate to use any of the three in advance.

Depending on where you're coming from then Nant-Rhys bothy near Llangurig might be worth the hike, alternatively Moel-Prysgau bothy at the head of the llyn Brianne valley is pretty isolated. Don't know if it has 'Dark Sky' status but it's as black as the devils nuttin bag after sundown and campfires outside the bothy are tolerated.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Living reasonably close to the Elan Valley, I tend to agree with Bishop here.

In another months time, you might get lucky and have a very pleasant camp, but you might equally find yourself in amongst an early winter storm - not really the time to be "practicing your camp craft". I've spent more than a few weekends in the area, as support for D of E groups, it can be nice but it can also be bleak, exposed and downright cruel! Any woodland in the area tends to be either plantation conifer which is virtually impenetrable or scheduled "Ancient Woodland" which is a definite "NO" for any sort of camping.

If you want to keep it above board, phone Roy Davies at Elan Lodge - he's the D of E Gold level adviser/assessor and he may know somewhere that would suit your requirements.

ATB

Ogri the trog

Brynglas

An option to consider is to continue through the valley and up over the top to the Western aspect of the watershed and consider the areas up around Teifi pools or Cwmystwyth.

I used to work in these areas as a Police Officer a few years ago and depending on when and where you go, you'll be lucky to se anyone about. The last time I was up there was about this time of year we walked from Nant Y Moch to Rhandirmwyn and we saw four people during the whole trip. You may encounter some military activity in the area occasionally though.

Sent from my SGP521 using Tapatalk

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE