Can anyone else smell it?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
I know its only the 9th of August, but the "smell" of Autumn is definitely in the air here, along with that chill of an evening you get when Autumn is just around the corner.

Anyone else noticed it????

beachlover

Aug 28, 2004
Isle of Wight
Too right. I thought exactly the same today as I was looking at the leaves browning off and as you say, the evenings are cooling along with the days getting shorter.
That said, I love autumn :)

deMaccusweil

Aug 7, 2011
Berkshire
I have been picking up on that as well :)
There has been more rain and windy weather, the evenings are drawing in (only half past nine and it's dark out) and the days are cooling. Also, wild berries are starting to ripen :D

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
...the "smell" of Autumn is definitely in the air here, along with that chill of an evening you get when Autumn is just around the corner.

Yup. I said so to the wife at the weekend. (She's still in the south of France. :))

And it's dark an hour earlier.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yep, noticed it four days ago and thought I was imagining it, but that cold, crisp, smell was totally distinctive.
The leaves are changing too, and everything that can set seed or fruit is doing so with abandon.

There's something else too, I'm itching to squirrel early again. I did it last year too and look at the Winter we had. No excuse for anyone to not be prepared this time round.

Wait and see, it'll be gloriously warm now :D :eek:

cheers,
M

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Acording to a friend this year is the turn of a cycle that produces alot of snow every so many hundreds of years, or something along those lines. Best get a thicker sleeping bag

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
What are the trees and bushes up to round your ways guys, The oaks and really drooping with acorns here, rowans and blackberries infact all the fruit and nut bearing things(except the shops) are groaning under the weight of there seeds round here, is it the same where you are?

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I know its only the 9th of August, but the "smell" of Autumn is definitely in the air here, along with that chill of an evening you get when Autumn is just around the corner.

Funny you should mention it, our grapes are ready at the same time as we are harvesting the apricots, that never happens, the grapes are always ready a month afterwards. Also the wasps have become more aggressive like I'd normally expect them to be mid to late September.

So yes, I was thinking "early autumn?".

:)

Last edited:

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
Being a gardener i have really noticed the leaves drop - its like its mid october at the moment! The willow, maple, and apples leaves are all dropping like mad!

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Ive got lime (not citrus) fruit pinging off already too, we moved here last september and it was a week or so after we got here that the fruit buds started poping off and sticking to our shoes,

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i have also noticed the sloes are purple all ready they dont normaly do that for a while, they get picked around oct time for me, loads ao hazle nuts about too..

CBJ

Native
Jan 28, 2009
Aberdeenshire
For me there is always a single day that I get the feeling of change, that was 2 weeks ago and it looks like I was right as the weather here is awfull

atb

Craig

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I shut our bedroom window last night - normally stays open pretty much all year round. All the Rowans up here are absolutely loaded, far more noticeable than previous years. There's loads of ceps around in the woods as well. Other berries aren't quite ready yet.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE