Campsites that allow fires.......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
I've been to 3 campsites linked from this site, and they were awfull. The site does not allow you to enter in negative review's either -they just dissapear and never get added :(

Big John

Nomad
Aug 24, 2005
Surrey
Have a look for local Scout sites, try scoutbase

Most will allow fires, although some will insist on using alter (raised) fires, and will usually have a few to borrow if they do (or even if they don't).

Not all of them will allow non-scouting campers though, so make sure you give them a ring first. I would think you'll have more luck this time of year when the sites are quiet than in the summer when they will be packed.

If you use the 'by facilities' page on the left menu then you can select the ones with backwoods camping or bivouacking areas.

Note: a 'yes' in the alter fires box on the site details doesn't necessarily mean you have to use one, just that they are available.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
dave k said:
I've been to 3 campsites linked from this site, and they were awfull. The site does not allow you to enter in negative review's either -they just dissapear and never get added :(

I've been to two of the sites listed, both in the south-west and both sites were fantastic, staff very helpful both selling good cheap dry fire wood, I've also used one site (sadly one that does not allow fires but is on the campsite list ) and that was better than I could have hoped for. Everyone’s experiences are different, I guess

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
newforestnavigation.co.uk
During the summer myself and others from SOTP meet for a River Wye canoe trip.
With an evening extra I arrived at Yellow Wood to be warmly greeted by Paul and his two children and was given the opportunity to stay at the wood. Paul gave me an induction to the site, toilet facilities what wood to use and the like, and we had an enjoyable chat about this and that. Cars can be parked close by if you want to carry kit to your spot and Paul will supply quality fire wood to avoid clearing too much underbrush.

The woodland comprises several acres of mixed woodland bounded by fields and the like. There are examples of most tree types and numerous clearings and places to se up a hammock, tarp or basha. Ok so why pay to camp in a wood? Well for me you can arrive and set up with out fear of being turfed off, light fires to cook on or gaze at, hang hammock, basha's and tarps to your heart's content. Bring a project to complete, test your stove/s cook some bannock and hopefully meet with like minded people enjoying the same. The surrounding area offers an opportunity to look at (don't dig up the pig nuts!) flora and fauna in woodland, woodland margins, pasture and fields. If your very lucky Paul will give you a tour of the area and share with you his passion and enthusiasm for bushcraft and HIS woodland.

Nigel

P

Phantom

thats quite a good list....what was bad about the three that you went to dave :confused:
phantom :bluThinki

nigelp said:
During the summer myself and others from SOTP meet for a River Wye canoe trip.
With an evening extra I arrived at Yellow Wood to be warmly greeted by Paul and his two children and was given the opportunity to stay at the wood. Paul gave me an induction to the site, toilet facilities what wood to use and the like, and we had an enjoyable chat about this and that. Cars can be parked close by if you want to carry kit to your spot and Paul will supply quality fire wood to avoid clearing too much underbrush.

The woodland comprises several acres of mixed woodland bounded by fields and the like. There are examples of most tree types and numerous clearings and places to se up a hammock, tarp or basha. Ok so why pay to camp in a wood? Well for me you can arrive and set up with out fear of being turfed off, light fires to cook on or gaze at, hang hammock, basha's and tarps to your heart's content. Bring a project to complete, test your stove/s cook some bannock and hopefully meet with like minded people enjoying the same. The surrounding area offers an opportunity to look at (don't dig up the pig nuts!) flora and fauna in woodland, woodland margins, pasture and fields. If your very lucky Paul will give you a tour of the area and share with you his passion and enthusiasm for bushcraft and HIS woodland.

Nigel

Hi Nigel,

It sounds wonderful :D

I have Pm'd Paul for further information.

Cheers,

Phil.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
Hi Nigel,

It sounds wonderful

I have Pm'd Paul for further information.

Cheers,

Phil.

Go for it. I had the wood to myself that night and was really relaxing knowing I was allowed there! I am more of a canoeist and backpacker masquerading as a bushcrafter but really enjoy living outdooors when I can, Yellow Wood is great for that. Hoping to travel up there in a couple of weeks time to test my winter hammock kit. :rolleyes:

nigelp said:
Go for it. I had the wood to myself that night and was really relaxing knowing I was allowed there! I am more of a canoeist and backpacker masquerading as a bushcrafter but really enjoy living outdooors when I can, Yellow Wood is great for that. Hoping to travel up there in a couple of weeks time to test my winter hammock kit. :rolleyes:

I am also more of a backpacker than bushcrafter. I have a six year old son and want to be able to teach him bushcraft techniques and equip him with what I believe to be essential knowledge. :cool:

I'd love to get some action with my hammock and underblanket - I've never used them and wouldn't know where to start with setting them up. I also need a new sleeping bag :(

I think the sleeping bag will have to wait as we're prolly gonna buy a large Lavvu, ground sheet and stove from the group buy that's running at the moment. Be Xmas pressies from me to the missus and vice versa.

But I am due a weekend off and Yellow Wood is not too far away...... :lmao:

Phil.

nigelp

Native
Jul 4, 2006
New Forest
I've never used them and wouldn't know where to start with setting them up

I am hoping to go to Yellow Wood on weekend of 24-26 November. Will be using hammock and underblanket so if you are not too far away pop up and have a look at my set up? The under blanket is very warm and you may be surprised how much warmer it is than a ground set up!

to be able to teach him bushcraft techniques and equip him with what I believe to be essential knowledge

Strange really, when I grew up lighting fires, making camps and playing outdoors was the normal thing to do. Very important to learn some common sense skills that stay with you all through life.
The group buy lavvu look very tempting.

Nigel

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE