Camping with a camera?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Hello. After being bought a nice DSLR camera (nikon D40x) for Xmas I'm thinking of taking it out into the woods and as I mostly hammock camp, what tips has everyone got for looking after a camera with the cold and damp etc and generally camping with a camera??
Thanks

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Normally jusp kept in the bergen when not being carried around. My top loader has seen 2 diffrent rigs over the last 18-19 years and is still in top conditikn

shack

Nomad
Mar 30, 2007
Devon
I've got a couple of those moisture absorbing silicon sachets in each of the pockets in my camera case.

lamper

Jun 4, 2009
Brighton UK
www.peligra.com
Weekender,

I use a Lowpro Toploder also, make sure you get the "AW" versions (for All Weather) as they come with rain shield and are more damp proof.

I also use an Exped Waterproof Pack Sack if I have any concerns about dampness/water - http://www.exped.com/en/product-category/packsacks

Lastly - if you are camping in the cold, make sure you take your batteries out of the camera and sleep with them to keep them warm. This will help them keep their charge for longer.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
I wouldn't worry about the cold much until it is -10c.
Batteries may need to be kept warm tough.

My cameras spent the night in a tent this and even my compact worked fine. Though if you take it indoors allow it warm up slowly in a bag before doing anything with it to reduce condensation.

Wintercamp 2014 - 43 by alf.branch, on Flickr

Keep it as dry as you can but mine has been wet many times even with sea water and is still working it was always dried off and cleaned ASAP though. It is just like any other tool like an axe etc look after and it will keep working for you.

A shot from using my DSLR of a similar standard in the rain.

Rains spts at night by alf.branch, on Flickr

Last edited:

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
On keeping your batteries warm, something we used to do to old film cameras to stop the film snapping in the cold and works on keeping batteries warm too is to tape/strap those charcoal/chemical handwarmers to them. Keeps your camera and hands toasty. Helps keep moisture out too. (Though most shops through away the silicon sachets that come with a lot of stock from abroad. If you have a friend in the trade ask if they'll keep you some. Used to keep sacks of it in my old gun cabinet.

brancho

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Use extreme caution heating batteries, perhaps best to rely on body temperature.

I agree with this and probably should have said in pockets through the day bottom of sleeping bag at night. I didnt bother though and my cameras coped in January.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Fuji_X10_and_Dry_Bag.jpg

I use a combination of dry bag and an inner liner made from a microfibre towel. It means any moisture carried into the bag by the camera such as condensation is absorbed safely into the towel material.

Fuji_X10_and_Battery_Packs.jpg

For very cold conditions I use a separate battery pack inside my clothing and power the camera with a lead and a battery adaptor.

Most of the time I have no problems though providing I swap out the batteries with a warm one from my pocket.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE