Camping in cold desert climate - sleeping bag/system

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
To add to the million and one which sleeping system threads, I'm off to South America in September, and plan to do a fair bit of camping in and around the Atacama desert, and in Uyuni.

During the time I'm there day time temps are likely to be around in the mid 20s, but night time temps will drop to can drop to -6 (rare at the time I'm going but possible).

At the moment I've got a few cheap self inflating mats that have served my well in Europe, and a rubbish Gelert Tryfan 300 synthetic sleeping bag (the build of it is poor, the zips are weak).

The bag is big and bulky. It claims a comfort temp of around -1c, but it was cold when I last used it in Wales.

As I'm two up on a motorcycle space is more important than weight, so I need something that will pack small, but be warm enough. The girlfriend really feels the cold.

I guess I need to be looking a down bag, but unfortunately my budget isn't massive. I can spare about £100 each on a bag (I know it won't get me a lot).

In terms of mats. I can't really take any thicker than 2.5cm again does to space constraints.

The Snugpak Chrysalis 4 looks decent (don't think it's down), but it might be over kill. I'd also like the option of left/right handed zips.

Last edited:

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
From what I've heard it's really hard to buy decent camping gear in South America, and what there is can be very expensive.

birchwood

Nomad
Sep 6, 2011
Kent
I looked at the snugpack 4 and thought it was a good bag at a reasonable price. £99 .
You could also take one of the travelite bags that pack down very small to put inside or on its own on hotter nights.space permitting.
I put a tough thermal blanket on the floor,and a thermarest on that.
I have a Tryfan and would not consider using it in a frost,I do sleep cold tho.
It does get cold in the desert at night,and I am glad I took a decent bag with me .personally I would rather be to hot than cold.

The.one I saw was the Elite 4 rated at -10 .

Last edited:

jameshardy

Dec 9, 2007
canterbury
Can you not stretch the budget? Plenty of 0% credit cards out there with 12 months or so on purchases. You could get an exped synmat ul7 and perhaps a down bag. http://www.downsleepingbag.co.uk/sleeping-bags/Criterion-Prime-550-Sleeping-Bag-CP550.html#SID=17 both have good packs sizes and are light weight.

if you are in South America on motorbike there must be fairly substantial costs involved already. Could this be one more on the list? If the answer is no then fair enough but I thought it might be worth considering. I've misjudged the conditions before and been so cold it makes sleep painful.

Old Bones

Settler
Oct 14, 2009
East Anglia
I'd agree with Mick721 & jameshardy - go better, because its worth it.

Your spending a fair amount on getting to the Atacama desert, so why would you buy a cheap, bulky and heavy bag, which will be cold and uncomfortable? Its a false economy.

I'm two up on a motorcycle space is more important than weight, so I need something that will pack small, but be warm enough. The girlfriend really feels the cold.]

Down has to be your way to go - much warmer for the bulk/weight, and since you were cold when you used your current bag, and your girlfriend really does feel the cold (thats not unusual, women often need an extra 5 degrees over men for comfort when it comes to bags), then you really need to get the warmest bag you reasonably can.

Perhaps think something like 4 season Rab 700 - certainly for you, and perhaps a bit extra for your girlfriend. The Rab 700 LZ (2013 model) for women is available for £148.95 from Go Outdoors http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/ascent-700-womens-sleeping-bag-lz-p205124 , and although £200 or more is a more realistic figure, you have a huge advantage - you have time.

Your not going until September, so you afford to wait until what you want comes in at a price that works for you. To be fair, that might be now. Blacks are doing the ProRest 3 for Thermalite for £60 http://www.blacks.co.uk/activities/115013-thermarest-prolite-3-regular-mat.html .They are also dong Neo Air mats as well. Backpackinglight are going to have some deals very soon, The Climbers Shop has had some good deals in the past, and of course Go Outdoors & Cotswold have sales at the moment.

of course you might want to think about Ebay, etc, but also places like the Rab Factory shop. This fabled place apparently exists (see Outdoor Magic, there is a discussion on the forum), and possibly the Alpkit HQ might still have mats/bags available from returns/seconds, etc. Keep an eye on the Outdoor Magic Bargain thread http://www.outdoorsmagic.com/forum/gear/bargain-alert/7436-351.html , because deals come up all the time.

As for Snugpak, the comfort level of minus 10 is perhaps generous to say the least (I've has a Snugpak for over 20 years). Decent bag, but not especially warm. I'd look to ME or MH for a decent synthetic spec. Frankly, I'd go with down.

Every so often people on this other sites think that saving money on kit like sleeping bags or tents is a good idea, even though the saving is a relatively small amount of their total outlay for a trip to Everest, etc. There is nothing worse than being cold and uncomfortable, and if the trip of a lifetime is ruined because of it, then its not a saving. You dont have to spend a fortune, but the relatively small amount you spend extra will more than pay for itself.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
Thanks, some excellent advice there, and some things to look into.

Will certainly take a look in the sales, and bide my time, see what comes up.

The budget can be stretched a bit, I just have to bear in mind I'm buying twice (2 bags)

peaks

Settler
May 16, 2009
Derbys
The Rab factory shop certainly exists - in Alfreton, not far from J28 of M1. Well worth a visit - check opening times, some amazing bargains to be had.

mikedefieslife

Tenderfoot
Apr 8, 2014
EU
From what I understand, opting for a down mat, as oppose to a foam self inflating mat will increase warmth a bit. I've had my eye on the Exped Downmat7 recently.

What's the general consensus on sleeping bag liners do they help or hinder?

Last edited:

Stevie777

Native
Jun 28, 2014
Strathclyde, Scotland
Good system but it's a bit bulky for traveling with two on a motorcycle.
Could always ditch the Heavier one, the lighter one still covers anything down to -10 but i know where you are coming from. See Che Guevara. He did the south America thing on a Motorbike. wonder what he used as a sleep system back then. ?

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Could always ditch the Heavier one, the lighter one still covers anything down to -10

No, that's the heavier one (the black one) you're thinking about. The lighter one (the green one) is very much a Summer bag. A very good Summer bag----but a Summer bag none-the-less.

That said, the black one alone isn't too, too bulky and might fit the OP's requirements.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE