Camping in and across Europe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

-Switch-

Settler
Jan 16, 2006
Still stuck in Nothingtown...
I have a friend who needs advice about camping in Europe. He has come to me for advice as he knows I go camping alot but unfortunately I couldn't be very helpful as I usually practise wild camping whereas he is going to be 'domestic' camping. Also, as embarassing as this is for me, I've never been abroad, let alone right across Europe.

What he plans on doing is cycling across Europe and camping as he goes. He's got all the kit and finances he will need but is unsure of how to go about it as he has never done anything like this before.

I told him that he would need:-

1. good reliable kit
2. a passport
3. maps of the areas he's planning on visiting
4. a good guide-book and phrase-book for the different countries

etc.

What I would like info on is the little details that he may find helpful. Are there any countries to avoid, perhaps for political reasons? Will he need immunisations for any particular country? What time of year is best to travel across Europe? Any good places to visit, aside from the usual tourist spots?

I think he's looking at Western and Northern Europe mainly - France, Belgium, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Italy, The Netherlands etc.

Has anyone got any experiance of this kind of thing?
Any advice you can give at all?

Many thanks :)

michiel

Settler
Jun 19, 2006
Belgium - Herentals
I don't think he needs special immunisations for Belgium. If he's going through Belgium he should take a look at the ardennes. The region between La Roche and Bastogne especially. Very nice but a lot of hills for his bike :D
Camping spots in Belgium can be quite expensive, but you should be able to find some cheap spots.
Keep in mind that you can't cut green wood in Belgian woodland, nor can you make a fire wherever you want. You need to ask permission (although a lot of people don't)

Hope this helps.

Michiel

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Make sure he has his E111, or whatever it is called these days. If he gets knocked off his bike and needs hospital treatment, he will be screwed without it! Not too sure what the score is with going through different countries, but a german guy was in the news not too long back as he has been cycling around since the sixties. He got his bike nicked hours after landing in Britain, but the good news is that it was returned. If he can do it, so can your mate.

I wish him good luck, if I didn't have a family I'd join him!

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
There is no wild camping allowed in the alps or close surrounding region. There are however lots of very good campsites in France, usually run by the local town near the actual town center.

edited to add the E111 form is now a sort of little card thing.

crazyclimber

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 20, 2007
UK / Qatar
european health insurance card - can apply online here https://www.ehic.org.uk/Internet/home.do

My kitlist would be the same stuff for the UK, passport, EHIC, would get travel insurance, maps and guidebooks like you said. I should have shares in lonely planet. Great though for the useful phrases, signs etc, plus maps and a good list of things to do and see in each country.
I don't know much about the cycling aspect so cant help much there.
Usually I have a quick read though the CIA world factbook https://gradesfixer.com/blog/the-world-factbook/ - get a general idea of the countries before I go. Extra immunisations aren't necessary as far as I know in western Europe. FCO usually have some good advice for specific countries too http://www.fco.gov.uk
Not sure when he's planning on going but bear in mind southern Europe is in the middle of a heatwave at the moment (would be a nice change here!) - something to bear in mind maybe.
Cant think of anything else off the top of my head. Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE