Campcraft questions

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tent peg

Nomad
Jan 13, 2014
Sherwood Forest
THOaken if you haven't bought a bag yet, I have a Czech bed roll in my swaps thread you can have if you pay the post. You may need to layer up in it for use in current climate, but should work fine May to September, Sent PM.

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
If I was you I would just get out and try a simple lean-to and "A" style pitch to start with, get used to it, as I would guess this is something totally alien to you. The guy lines the tarp is supplied with will do the job but you need a ridge line, DD sell some rope for this purpose, I would get it. Also as you want para cord get a spool of the webtex stuff, £10ish for 100m, more than good enough for your purposes http://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-tex-100...=UTF8&qid=1395760127&sr=8-2&keywords=paracord can be found cheaper on ebay

THOaken

Native
Jan 21, 2013
England(Scottish Native)
If I was you I would just get out and try a simple lean-to and "A" style pitch to start with, get used to it, as I would guess this is something totally alien to you. The guy lines the tarp is supplied with will do the job but you need a ridge line, DD sell some rope for this purpose, I would get it. Also as you want para cord get a spool of the webtex stuff, £10ish for 100m, more than good enough for your purposes http://www.amazon.co.uk/Web-tex-100...=UTF8&qid=1395760127&sr=8-2&keywords=paracord can be found cheaper on ebay
I'm planning on trying configurations from simple to complex out in the garden first, maybe spend a night or two getting used to tarp camping. Thanks.

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
The DD tarp comes with "4 x 2m Guy Lines and 4 Pegs.", but you do you reckon I'd need paracord to do some tarp configurations or will those guylines be enough? I'm not sure about the terminology yet, but I've heard you need a tarp ridgeline. Not sure if that can be accomplished with just 4 guylines. Thanks.

Edit: Will http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/485-550-Para-Cord-10-metre/ work with the DD tarp?

Can only tell you what i use and that is 1 x 10m ridgeline and 4 x 4m guy lines. If just pitching in an A frame then the 2m supplied lines will be good and you'll just need to add the ridge line. If you want to use it in porch mode then the longer guys will be a benefit. Id echo getting some cheap cord to start with. You can get all the fancy stuff once you have lived with your setup a bit.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland

That cord looks good, good price 11p per meter.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Can only tell you what i use and that is 1 x 10m ridgeline and 4 x 4m guy lines. If just pitching in an A frame then the 2m supplied lines will be good and you'll just need to add the ridge line. If you want to use it in porch mode then the longer guys will be a benefit. Id echo getting some cheap cord to start with. You can get all the fancy stuff once you have lived with your setup a bit.

That's what I use as well.

Paracord is fine for a ridge line but a bit OTT for guy lines.

If you want some guy lines I can let you have what I use which is military comms line. have the thickness of paracord and great for guy lines. Just drop me a PM if you do want some Taylor as I've got loads of it

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
I found a good way to suspend my pot or Billy over either a fire or stove, was by use of a cheap small camera tripod bought
From a flea market, it is telescopic so takes up little space, it also is usefull if you want to take hoots of yourself , when not in use over the fire or stove, I also suspend pots using a short length of chain as already mentioned. Light and small bulk.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
For start use a wooden tripod or a simple pot stand cut from the surrounding trees.. if it a one off then it save you carrying stuff , and if hidden may last a couple of times :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE