Camo patterns

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
I've not worn camouflage since leaving the TA, but I am thinking it might be helpful for roe stalking in (mainly coniferous) woodland. There are a very wide variety of different patterns, both ex-military and sporting. What works best in woodland?

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
What you wore in the TA will take some licking,really DPM is the best there is,its non terrain specific too! These fancy civilian hunter patterns are only ok at very close range,they look nice but dont work aswell as thearmy stuff.

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I agree with Clem
Or if you don't want to look like a wannabe SAS sniper how about tweed?
Yes old (traditional) and heavy when wet but it was desgined for the purpose you want - cammo and comfort in all conditions, surely that's got to count for something.

I also think a plain green is prety good too.

As you know Doc, it's how you use it that matters, movement will give you away every time - even with a full guillie suit on !

Mark

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
Depending on the type of woodland you are stalking in will depend on the type of camo you go for. The army DPM stuff for me cannot hold a torch to the modern designs for which I believe Bill Jordan's Realtree is the best and even the Kammo company have had to admit defeat and start offering a very similar product despite having bravely resisted in the past.

I would personally go for a net suit as you can wear your regular clothing underneath and up or downgrade according to the weather/time of year. A good all rounder is 'Advantage' but there are variants such as 'Timber' and 'Hardwoods' and even one for snow. I can PM you a few links if that would be of help :)

As previously mentioned in this thread movement is the key and a majority of animals see in grey tones anyway however by mimicking your surrounding as closely as possible the grey tones will also be mimicked correctly. The big disadvantage for me with standard DPM is when the light begins to fade a DPM jacket will very quickly turn black. This is not so much a problem when stalking but for varmints it can be a pain.

I don't want to open up a whole big debate on the science behind camo so please appreciate these are my own personal opinions and what I have found to work best for me :)

kb31

Forager
Jun 24, 2006
by the lakes
buy a gun mart or air gunner there's lots of hunters camo
the new USA stuff with dots is made to fool night vision
i don't know many deer/wildlife that use it :lmao:
..karl

TheGreenMan

Native
Feb 17, 2006
beyond the pale
Doc said:
I've not worn camouflage since leaving the TA, but I am thinking it might be helpful for roe stalking in (mainly coniferous) woodland. There are a very wide variety of different patterns, both ex-military and sporting. What works best in woodland?

Hello Doc,

Interesting question, I've been wondering about this myself. My initial feeling is that I would go with DPM (Even at the risk of being thought of as a military Wannabe/Walt).

The question I'd like to raise is about animal vision. I heard many years ago that some animals have limited colour vision and some have only black and white vision, and others are more sensitive to Ultra Violet etc.

If deer have limited/black and white vision it doesn't seem to me that colour is going to be as important as their visual sensitivity to movement and scenting you 'up-wind'.

I have seen the high-visibility orange hunting jackets and caps used in the US/Canada (Presumably to avoid being shot by other hunters), and speculated that if other hunters can see the high-visibility gear, why can't deer/other big game?

Best regards,
Paul.

Doc

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 29, 2003
Perthshire
Thanks all.

I must be getting old as the modern soldier has completely different kit to the stuff (SLR and 58 webbing) we had. However, DPM seems to have survived pretty much unchanged despite being some 40 years old. Which suggests it works, although I know the latest modern camos are pixellated and rather different.

I worry about it being seen as military but it has been suggested to me that wearing obviously non-military kit (such as breeks or a deerstalker) with a DPM jacket sends the very clear message that you are not trying to pass yourself off as SAS.

You see the ads for Realtree, etc in the magazines with very impressive photos of hunters disappearing as they stand by similar foliage. I suppose they deliberately select the background to show how effective it is. To my eyes, it is better than DPM at close range - but of course, compared to a deer I have binocular and colour vision.

I've seen ASAT used in Traditional Bowhunter magazine - looks interesting.

huntersforge

Oct 14, 2006
southern scotland
As a DSC2 accredited witness I have seen stalkers turn up in cammo from head to toe and others in just green trousers and a brown/green swanni . I can honestly say , I dont think it makes a great deal of difference , good fieldcraft skills are the deciding factor.
If you are stalking on an area with public access its best to stay away from going too military . just an observation . dont shoot me down in flames if you think I am wrong.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
In a word- Flecktarn. This time of year, you cannot beat the German Army issue Flecktarn kit. Also as it is a 'spotty' cammo and looks quite different from DPM people don't tend to regard it as an SAS wannabe army cammo. Also it is dead cheap and being Moleskin is very hard wearing. Hooded parka for about £15 trousers about £8 or £27 for new. You can even get it in goretex for about £45 a complete set! Try http://www.flecktarn.co.uk/productsover.html and www.surplusandadventure.com/ishop/800/shopscr3106.html

flcpk1ua500b.jpg

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
We had a similar discussion a while back and this came up. :)

As animals are colour blind the colour of the disruptive pattern doesn't matter.

Lack of movement and a suitable background are what really count.

black_kissa

Tenderfoot
May 8, 2006
N/A
I've heard stories about hunters in the best of camo, who still were told on by squirrels and birds... seems to me that even with the best of camo wear, if you don't know how to keep the animals from alarming about you, you'll still be the center of attention :)

So I'm trying to improve my understanding of bird language... So far I've only found resources in the US. Does anyone know of any European resources?

Live and Love,
Anneke

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
there is no need for military style camouflage when watching mammals, (birds are another matter) but if you absolutely have to have military camouflage however may i heartily recommend the Libya Africa corps uniform :D

libya_africa_corps_front.jpg

libya_africa_corps_pattern.jpg

:lmao:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE