Cameras

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
Well, the last point isn't a massive problem once you know what it's doing... any good camera shop will be able to give you various bodies to play with anyway.

I know a few people with 400D's and it's a very good camera.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ah good thing you said about the sensor. I think Im probably going to canon, probably 400d if I can afford it, but my best bet is to take the lens in with me and see if its compatable with the DSLR Canons. Id rather base my choice around the lens I already have than the body of the camera.

I did exactly that in Jessops. Took my old Eos and lenses in and they brought out a new 400D and I tried the lenses on it (they worked fine btw). Thats exactly the reason I bought the Canon - lens compatibility. The bloke in Jessops didn't mind a bit and said I wasn't the first person who wanted to be sure.

Red

bikething

May 31, 2005
West Devon, Edge of Dartymoor!
My old Camera is an EOS, with a canon autofocus lens.

So I can actually use that lens on a new digital camera so long as its a canon? I had assumed the lenses were body specific, are they general then? I hope so I remember the lens cost me a few hundred :)
As long as it's a Canon EOS lens it shouldn't be a problem

My original camera (EOS1000F) came with a couple of Sigma lenses, to which I added a couple of Canon lenses over the years. When I upgraded to the 10D when it first came out, the Canon lenses worked fine, but the sigmas didn't. Apparently Canon changed the signalling protocol and program their newer cameras to recognise older Canon lenses and compensate for it, but not 3rd party lenses. Sigma had a policy of re-chipping the lenses for a nominal cost where possible, or offering the equivalent Sigma lens in the current range at a discounted cost.. I had to replace the 2 kit lenses, but had my 17-35EX and 100-400zoom re-chipped. Over the last 5 or so years I've upgraded to mostly Canon L-series glass :)

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip> When I upgraded to the 10D when it first came out, the Canon lenses worked fine, but the sigmas didn't. Apparently Canon changed the signalling protocol and program their newer cameras to recognise older Canon lenses and compensate for it, but not 3rd party lenses. Sigma had a policy of re-chipping the lenses for a nominal cost where possible, or offering the equivalent Sigma lens in the current range at a discounted cost.. I had to replace the 2 kit lenses, but had my 17-35EX and 100-400zoom re-chipped. Over the last 5 or so years I've upgraded to mostly Canon L-series glass :)

Yep, wot he said......

Most of the newer Sigmas work fine but the older ones need checking.

Canon lenses should be fine.

As to the sensor size, most Canons have a "Magnification ratio" of 1.6x so for example an 80 -200mm zoom becomes the equivalent of 128 - 320mm.

That's great if you want to get closer to your subject but not so good if you like wide angle shots.

scanker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 15, 2005
Cardiff, South Wales
I've just bought a dslr, so I can give you the results of my research.

I bought a Nikon D60 with 18-55 VR kit lens for £340 from Amazon and a 55-200 lens from allcam for £135 ish.

From the reviews I read (http://www.dpreview.com/ was very good) the Nikon kit lens is better than the standard Canon Kit lens.

The Nikon D40 is ~£220 at Amazon and gets good reviews. I went for the D60 for 10megapixels over 6, and a few extras, plus VR lens over without. Worth noting that the vibration reduction is in the lens on the Nikons, so you have to buy specific lenses. Not a problem, unless you've a lot of Nikon lenses already which you'd have to focus yourself.

http://www.camerapricebuster.co.uk/ shows cheapest prices and how they've changed over time and what's at the current lowest price.

I'm way amateur compared to hedgepig and wayland, but I hope my new buyer perspective helps.

Just for reference, I was a Canon man up until now. I've had the original Ixus, Powershot A60 and S2 IS up until now. One of my major doubts was switching away from Canon.

I've only had the camera a few days so far. I'll post a few photos in the new photography sub forum when I've a chance. I'm very impressed so far.

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
well I look forward to seeing the photos. Ill probably be going down next week to purchase a camera, a week tuesday I suspect.

daved

Forager
Aug 1, 2005
London
I've got my eye on the Panasonic Lumix FZ-28

http://www.photographyblog.com/reviews_panasonic_lumix_dmc_fz28.php

I had a play with one tonight and though it feels a bit plasticcy for just over £200 it seems to be a nice wee camera.

Just bought an FZ28. It only arrived on Saturday so I have not had much of a chance to play with it yet. I was tempted by an SLR, especially considering how cheap the Nikon D40 is these days but this just seemed to fit the bill better for travelling.
It is very small and light for such a big zoom range - you would need a big bag (and a few trips to the gym) to carry the equipment for the equivalent range on a DSLR. The whole camera was lighter than the kit lens alone on the Nikon.

Too early to tell how well it performs - if you are interested, I can give you some feedback once I have got to grips with it a bit more.

Jan 22, 2006
uk
I've been looking for a little while, and think i'm going for the canon eos 1000d - after plenty hours researching it was an Andy Rouse review that decided it for me.
Apparently its small-ish, tough-ish and effectively designed as a good entry level wildlife dslr.
If you already have eos lenses, sounds like a good bet

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
I've been looking for a little while, and think i'm going for the canon eos 1000d - after plenty hours researching it was an Andy Rouse review that decided it for me.
Apparently its small-ish, tough-ish and effectively designed as a good entry level wildlife dslr.
If you already have eos lenses, sounds like a good bet

Andy Rouse. Lol, he used to do lectures for us at college, being that our sister course was the WildLife Photographers. He is an absolute total nutter that guy. Definately got ADHD or something :lmao:

Jan 22, 2006
uk
Andy Rouse. Lol, he used to do lectures for us at college, being that our sister course was the WildLife Photographers. He is an absolute total nutter that guy. Definately got ADHD or something :lmao:

wow - that must have been great, where was that?
i'm a big fan of his stuff. Being hyperactive and a wildlife photographer dont really seem go together!!?
did you decide on a camera by the way?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would - but the cabinets full :)

I do have a hankering to buy a black powder gun - theres something very satisfying about the simplicity of "front stuffers"

Red

firecrest

Mar 16, 2008
uk
wow - that must have been great, where was that?
i'm a big fan of his stuff. Being hyperactive and a wildlife photographer dont really seem go together!!?
did you decide on a camera by the way?

Ive not been to get a camera yet, but it will be a cannon. I intended to go today, but due to darn landslides in the peaks I wasnt able to get home on monday and it messed up today.

The Degree I did was scientific and natural history illustration at blackpool and the fylde college. we shared the same lectures and half the same projects as the wildlife photographers, who were newly founded. Andy buggered off somewhere, and nobody was quite sure where he went.
the course seems to have alot more guest lecturers now. its probably taken off
http://www.bawildphoto.co.uk/Wildlife site/Home Page.html

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE