Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
OK, So if anyone interested PM me, spoke to a couple of guys already. Looks like we may have something going on. I def going even if it rains all day, been dying to try Hammock out in the rain anyway!

Need to bring all supplys of water etc in as no facilities at all. If someone has a folding shovel would be usefull! I have some freshly cut Lilac that I'm gonna take for carving, really nice wood.

Cheers Roy

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Saturday pm to Sunday hopefully still good with me dude.

How about bringing along some swaps/sell type bushy stuff as I have quite a few odds & sods to get rid of if anyone fancies it?

Looking forward to it.

Cheers
Craeg

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Sounds good to me! Been toying with going light tonight but starting to think f-it I'll just take the bergen! Its simpler....

How many Hammocks have we got going? Unless your Hammock is rigged for wide spaces or big trees not that many good spots.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
I was gonna get one of them mats! Interested to see how that compares to my new toy if it arrives in time... Else I'll likely freeze again!

I can get round big trees ok so I'll take the trickiest spot!

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Well a couple of things, firstly my lass has decided to descend this weekend so i cant come out to play :-(, i mean its a good thing but well you know....

Secondly dates for the next little ab - these dates are free at the moment and i will book one of them on monday so wont have any problems i just wanted to check With people on which they want;
weekend of the 5th november - which iassume people will have plans, or the following weekend - 12th - which has got my vote!

let me know - vuage numbers would be ideal but i am more interested to make sure a couple of peoplewant it booking and geting it sorted.

:)

have a good little meet this weekend chaps!

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
Sure, Go for it 12th Nov good for me, I'll book some time of in November anyway...

Not sure exactly who is going tomorrow, if anyone yet (weather not good at the mo!). Personally I've been dying to try hammock in rain! Especially as got new toy now....

can meet at mine to park cars up safe and walk down as its less then a mile away.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
Either weekend works for me, although as it's my daughters 3rd birthday on the 12th, i might not be able to make the whole weekend.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
All,
I just noticed that the european woodworking weekend is based not that far from us lot on the weekend of the 2/3 Oct.
Cressingham temple, witham road - braintree (CM77 8PD).

If anyone fancies going its £8 on the door and looks like a decent day out - perhaps car sharing etc?
I hadnt heard of it b4 just came up when searching for other things
its not particularly bushy based - as there will be power tools etc but looks like a nice spot too

craeg

Native
May 11, 2008
New Marske, North Yorkshire
Hiya Cambridge dudes

Quick heads up that SWMBO just pointed out to me ;)

St Ives college are doing a whole range of courses but of particular interest to us is, basket weaving with willow. Fisrst one is 12/2/11 then another on 21/5/11. They are one day each from 1000-1700 and cost £40.00

I am away for the first one, (sand again) but here for the May one and will be doing that.

I can't do the 12 Nov as it is weekend b4 I go away :(

Cheers
Craeg

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
All,
I just noticed that the European woodworking weekend is based not that far from us lot on the weekend of the 2/3 Oct.
Cressingham temple, witham road - braintree (CM77 8PD).

If anyone fancies going its £8 on the door and looks like a decent day out - perhaps car sharing etc?
I hadn't heard of it b4 just came up when searching for other things
its not particularly bushy based - as there will be power tools etc but looks like a nice spot too

I should be going, hopefully SWMBO will be well enough to go

Sorry I didn't get last weekend...Hectic wasn't the word for it. I had a load of fire tripods to make and didn't get into the shed till this afternoon. Just got out now after doing two 4ft's and two 5 foot's , all with two S hooks and did a kettle support as well.
I'll get some photo's up somewhere tomorrow

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
I've been playing in the forge again for the last couple of days making good use of the time before going back to work soon. :rolleyes:
A mate asked me to make him some stuff and some bits to sell on his re-enactment stall :campfire:

I made
  • five pokers
  • two 4ft fire tripods
  • two 5ft fire tripods
  • four S hooks to go with the tripods
  • four kettle/pot hangers
  • eight strikers

All pics here http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=62331
square has twists on it
Hope you like it
Maybe I should take some with me this weekend :lmao::lmao:

Last edited:

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
went to the european woodworking place today - and its smashing - i heartilly recomend it to anyone around here.
Worth it just for the expansive gransfors merchent (who's a nice chap too), they had some of the larger and less normal axes which was nice

£8 on the door and a cracking venue.

I managed to resist buying any more shinnies - but it was a close run thing....

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
Me too. Must have missed you. The Gransfor guys soon turned that tree into a square beam didn't they?
Got a couple of commissions while I was there as well
Showed Robin on the Pole Lathe my striker I keep in the car and we ended up letting about a dozen have a try at it

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
damnit second try since my first didnt work ! :-(

Yeah was a good crack kev, the beam was of a non native pine (i forget which) and so relatively soft to work - intersting the axes they had though - the main guy was a leftie and im sure his was not a GF but nice!
Didnt chat with the chap on the pole, cant remember where he was now actually.
Talking of strikers am hoping to try my hand with em soon - have an afternoon sorted in a forge so looking for projects to have a play with, and collecting old files... any other easy starter ideas, i also though a lid lifter for dytch oven..

Whittler Kev

Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
He was the 2nd stall as you came in through the gift shop

Here's my latest offering

Forgedmusicalnote.jpg

and this video may surprise you :yikes:

[video]http://s799.photobucket.com/albums/yy280/kpurse/Bits%20I%20have%20made%20by%20 hand%20etc/?action=view&current=PlayingaForgednote.mp4[/video]

I'm getting artsy fartsy :rolleyes:

so

Threearmedhangingbasketholder.  jpg

TopofThreearmedhangingbasketho  lder.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE