Cambridgeshire

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

eel28

Settler
Aug 27, 2009
Bedfordshire
As things stand the only weekends I CAN'T make at the moment are 28/29 August, 4/5 and 11/12 September. Any other weekend should be good for me :)

Put me down as interested in a leather workshop, although it will depend on the final cost/dates etc.

R.Lewis

Aug 23, 2009
Cambs
As for dates I cannot do they are 14th and 21st of August otherwise at the mo I'm fine. Although if kev gets the go ahead on the Doddington site I could do 14th as I'll be in the village....

Leatherworking workshop could be good, I have a new Hatchet that SO badly needs a nice leather mask. Interested.

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Hey Steve - like the pics on your blog - very nice little selection but shame you missed the bow!
It definately works although need to get an arrow or two to see how far it can shoot - its much lighter than the war bow at least, perhaps too light! Mower starter cord seems good for tillering - shame i lost mine on the way to the car i think.

The fire alter was very good - while 'unnesasairy' it was good and burnt really well, not to mention being raised of the ground made for very efficient burn and comfortabe to cook on a roaring success i would say!

Agreed Timbo, not really nessasary at Cambs meets, as we are ok for ground fires, but great for the more concious meets and rambles! (on with the tweaking!)

Finally got up some pics of the bow making course that me and Tim went on.. so if it teases you for coming on the leather and many other courses available.. all the better!.. there a great crack guys, and a blooming good price to boot!

Bow Making Blog!

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
Hi Guys

How much was the bow making course - have you got a link to the available courses??

Wolfcrafter would you repost the link for the coventry camp dates plz

hOPE TO COME IN sEPT - JUST WONT LOOK AT FORECAST THIS TIME!!

cheers CHRIS

Whittler Kev

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2009
March, UK
bushcraftinfo.blogspot.com
Hi Guys

How much was the bow making course - have you got a link to the available courses??

Wolfcrafter would you repost the link for the coventry camp dates plz

hOPE TO COME IN sEPT - JUST WONT LOOK AT FORECAST THIS TIME!!

cheers CHRIS

Who hit caps lock then?????:lmao:
Not to do anyones courses down :nono: but I've done two of these peoples ;). Both excellent. Fire and Forge and the Bow-making course (taught by Bardster).
Not affiliated or anything just a satisfied customer :35:. I fancy the leather working one next ;) and only £25 per day (or £50 for a family of 5...Yep thats right 5 :yikes: ) including camping :camping:...and they have a fire pit :campfire:.

[video=youtube;fzmOcNKPY3g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fzmOcNKPY3g&feature=player_embedded[/video]

http://www.bushcraft-magazine.co.uk/courses.php

Huw is the least stressed bloke I've ever seen and makes good soup and bread in the clay ovens he's made at the site

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
I can mirror what kev has said, with a couple of comments (not to be taken as criticizms!!)
the £50 - is for families - if 5 people go its 25 +5 for the wood, still exceptionally good value!
Bard is clear that its an introduction to making bows and actually you need to be very determined to get one finished in the day, the tillering takes a while and because of the space and limits of equipment people tend to arrive at the same points at relatively similar times so with us we have 5 people wanting to tiller at the same point and the day running out. Bard was great and stayed behind quite a while to let us cary on - but still if a group go you need to really crack on to make a nearly completed bow. Worth bearing in mind for people who dont have any space or tools at home etc - i still have not made myself a tillering stick (although do now have 3 bows nerarly ready for tillering).

The location is smashing too, beutifull little spot.

But.. from what i understand there are no more bow making courses this year - i could be wrong but thats the impression i had. Of course like the one we did you could see if bard will put on a special one for you, this is what i am hoping to do with the leatherwork one - although not many people seem to be interested so perhapse its not got legs?

Quick reply as my break time is almost up, I'm on for leather tim.. Plus I second all tim says about the Bush Courses!! :0)

here's the link Guru for 12 months of midland meets.. Includes three sites now!! Rough Close is the main one I attend, organised by Decorum!!
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=58469
(sorry if it comes as a cut & paste job.. Can't do likes on the iPhone!)

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
I've made a bow with bardster at the moot 4 yrs ago - daren't tiller it as the guy with the same grain pattern broke his at this stage.

I'd be interested in the leather making course dependant on dates and passes!!

thanks for the link wolfcrafter

cheers Chris

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Kev - the leather idea is one that might take a little sorting as the location is the issue - i am toying with the idea of the rooms at the camp site - basic but not expensive. The video you posted before (which i cant see at work) was that a course through the same organisation? I do like the idea of a machine that can stitch leather!
Obviously if we get Bard to come to us it could limit the equipment he can bring etc - but the barn isnt really appropriate for the leatherwork.
So thats one for the pipeline - im off again for a couple of weeks (bowl carving :eek:), and revisiting the longboat) so the leatherwork isnt going to go anywhere for a bit - unless someone else wants to have a crack at arranging?

As for bows and breaking - im getting quite philosophical about it - so long as i learn and get better at them each time maybe its a good thing, if they break im more likely to make more and could end up better - although not breaking does sound good too.....

GearGuru

Forager
Jun 7, 2006
Market Deeping
Did you guys make the hazel flatbows he talks about on the vid? I'd be interested in finding out how to make one as we made the d section ash long bow

badgeringtim

Nomad
May 26, 2008
cambridge
Nope we did the D section too.
Although i believe Kev made his own flatbow - not sure what wood but there are some pics someplace and it looks a beut!
Mine is still a little planky but having said that it would put 2 foot of english's finest through a solid door! if only i could actually draw it (the second is a lighter one...)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE