calling army rucksack experts (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
anyone take a guess what this is???

i brought it off ebay. it said it was swedish but im not so sure as there isn't the usual three crown sign as with other swedish kit:confused: im not worried if its not, i just wanted it because it is a fairly small rucksack but has a frame which iv been after for a while now, and it just looked interesting.

sorry about the pics, it started raining so was a bit hasty and i think i got raindrops on the lense :rolleyes:

its made from a heavy rubberised material and is similar size and shape to the old 58 pattern webbing sack and has a helmet spider on the front which i will probably remove.
Image017-1.jpg

it has a thick padded bit on the bottom and the straps are made of a heavy cotton material.
Image012-1.jpg

im guessing these clips and straps are for use with a webbing system?
Image014-1.jpg

Image020-1.jpg

Image027-1.jpg

under the lid it has these great compression straps and a massive draw string to keep the rain out, much to my liking:)
Image028-2.jpg

Image023-3.jpg

thanks
pete

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
The cotton shoulder straps are definitely German (West German) webbing Y straps. They were used from the 1960s until the early 1990s. They are also used as shoulder straps with a basic cotton rucksack.

I haven't seen your rucksack part before though.

Ahjno

Vice-Adminral
Admin
Aug 9, 2004
Rotterdam (NL)
www.bushcraftuk.com
Last edited:

jayuk

Forager
Feb 24, 2005
UK
The pack was made in Juriens, Switzerland. The shoulder straps were taken from West German Y straps (the ring, one pice of cotton webbing and a clip have been removed).

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
It looks like an updated version of 58 webbing large pack (which was anything but).

Post the question and foto on the army rumour service website (arrse) and you'll have the old and bold fighting over themselves to ID it.

atb

Liam

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
as jayuk said the pack in question is swiss with added west german Bw combat suspenders added ,maybe by the surplus shop? in order to sell the pack...i think the complete swiss webbing system is called the M90 combat equipment,and even has rubberized fabric kidney pouches in the set...i haven't posted in a long time ,hows everybody doing ?.... vince g. 11b inf..

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
that's what I was going to say!

It looks ever so much like a 58" pack! it's more than a passing resemblance!
The British Army did run some trials of "Nylon" 58" webbing that never saw general issue I'm wondering if this is the same design.

WEBB-58-LARGE-PACK.jpg

Image017-1.jpg

some of the parts look like the GS patrol sack, and some parts look East German! I'm guessing some designer borrowed the best bit's from each!

BTW Spanish fastenings on photo 4! now used on PLCE webbing.

the pad shown on the lower back here would suggest it was designed to fit on a frame, this added to the fact the canvas shoulder straps have been added by the surplus store It's safe to assume this sack is part of a frame rucksack!
The shoulder straps would have probably been removable so the frame could be used as a radio carrier (like the British Army one).
Image012-1.jpg

The padding probably standing proud of the frame to give very basic comfort, The sack probably had a frame and straps similar to this
the GS patrol sack (or SAS/para used the same frame but was a much larger sack).
note the padding behind the frame:
1233774585_LG.jpg

Here is the only photo I've ever come across of the Nylon 58" webbing!
72_webbing.jpg

if it was made identically to the cotton version It would have had a Nylon 58" large pack! hm!:rolleyes:

Last edited:

11binf

Forager
Aug 16, 2005
Phx. Arizona U.S.A
hi RAPPLEBY2000,for sure the swiss webbing has roots in the British P-58 webbing...it also has a little nest on the pack cross straps for the helmet...great to hear from you !:)...i guess the swiss liked the concept of the P-58 and adapted it to suit them,bully!....vince g. 11b inf..

andybysea

Oct 15, 2008
South east Scotland.
It is a interesting pack, its got its own shoulder straps so doesnt need a yoke,and its attachments wouldnt fit a 58 type yoke,(ive got a nylon 58 exact same fitting as the canvas one)its obviously designed to sit high n the back so the wearer must have some sort of kidney pouches, with the quick release clips its probably no older than the 80's but the alu attachments do look like central european type kit, i will have a trawl through some of my books.

Rabbitsmacker

Settler
Nov 23, 2008
Kings Lynn
lots of German clips and straps on it, like the older issue stuff and the mountain packs, spanish clips on the pockets are later style german, swiss type. is it really that brown? swiss stuff i thought was olive, as rappleby says copied from us, but in the butyl nylon type stuff. i'd guess at that region but wouldn't put my savings on saying a specific country. looks uncomfortable though i have to say. interesting one though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE